Any CPFer in regieon of Katrina...

L

LITEmania

Any CPFer in affected area of Katrina...

Any member in that area is OK ?

Every summer ends up with hurricane....

warren,

Last edited by a moderator:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anyone was in the path they likely have no connection to the net even if they have emergency power.

turbodog

Flashaholic
snakebite said:
if anyone was in the path they likely have no connection to the net even if they have emergency power.

That's what I would think also.

We were some of the last in this area to lose power. It went down at 4:20 pm. I threw the transfer switch and hooked the generator into the house wiring, and got ready for what I figured was 2 days w/o power.

2 hours later it came back on, along with my cable connection.

I don't think the rest of the state was so lucky though.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Excuse me while I pass out....

has anyone seen the latest news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOLA's levees failed. 80% city under water

oil platform wedged under i89(?) bridge.

oil tanker run aground and leaking

This is worse than anyone thought.

hideo

Enlightened
Re: Any CPFer in region of Katrina...

two that I know of: Chop is in Metairie (just West of the city) and revolvergeek is in NO I think ... both great guys and i hope they and theirs are OK

the pictures lI've seen look just awful, like the Midwest floods of the early 90s but worse

turbodog, glad you didn't get hammered by it

keeping my fingers crossed hard ...

hideo

adimag

Newly Enlightened
My family and I live in LaPlace, LA in St. John the Baptist Parish. My family and I were able to evacuate to Bossier City, LA which is in the northwest corner of the state. From what I have been able to get, I have found out that the area where my house is have little to no flodding with NO water in the houses and little to no wind damage. Right now, my area has water and phone service and should have power in 3-5 days. We can go home in the next couple of days. Moving east, my wife's brother lives in Metairie which is right next to New Orleans. His house is under water as well as his in-laws house. There is no way to know when he will be able to get back home. Further east, my wife's mother and step father live in Waveland, MS. When I was watching the track as Katrina moved on land, I could see that the storms eye crossed almost dead center over there area. They live 3 blocks off of the beach. We do not know the status of ther home, but we are almost sure that it is not there anymore. So, I have some good news and some bad news and probably a full house for the next few months. But, at least none of my family lost there lives...and that truly is the best thing that has happened in this storm.

Agree! Please God, help these people! I didn't get hurt bad, but Allison wasn't too good for Houston a few years ago....

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Any CPFer in region of Katrina...

hideo said:
now I'm thoroughly depressed:

http://www.nola.com/

http://deadlykatrina.com/

my thoughts go out for any of you that got hammered by this :(

hideo
Scrolling down in the second link - talking about some police officers & fire fighters joining in the "looting"...sad, sad, sad!!!

My heart, prayers, & positive thoughts to ALL involved!!!

C4LED

Enlightened
turbodog said:
Excuse me while I pass out....

has anyone seen the latest news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOLA's levees failed. 80% city under water

oil platform wedged under i89(?) bridge.

oil tanker run aground and leaking

This is worse than anyone thought.

Unfortunately it's not worse than anyone thought, though I expect most people didn't think it would have been this bad. If it had been a direct hit on New Orleans or a category 5 instead of 4.... it could have been worse than 9/11.

People should have been evacuated by train for free and set up in FEMA camps. This country is a superpower and has the ability and money to have done that. It was clear that this was going to be very bad since it was known that about 100,000 people wouldn't have the money to evacuate and the city is below sea level.

Newly Enlightened
I remember some CPF members being from Louisiana and IIRC Alabama and Mississippi. Some are LEO's. These folks have to leave their families when they least want to. Some of these guys along with other public servants and utility crew members probably will not see a lot of their families for some time. Some to whom it is just a job may not show the best side, others will do many unrecorded deeds that will only be remembered a long while later.

I will pray that they are given endurance, peaceful rest when they can, someone to care for their families, the respect they deserve and "everybody goes home."

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was watching CNN and saw a man and his two young children wandering aimlessly in the streets in Biloxi (I think). They were stranded in high flood waters and were clinging to each other to avoid being washed away, but as they tried to hang on, his wife said "I can't hold on any longer! Please take care of the kids..." and then he watched in horror as she lost her grip and... floated away....

Words fail me. :( :candle:

Hug your family tonight.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is at least 1 more member, rick258, who lives in Metairie about a mile from Chop.

I've started a check in thread for the LA/MS/Alabama members.

Bill

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
BigBoy, Chop, rick258, Vhyper007, xraydoc are residence of LA/MS/AL.

How are you guys holding up? If you're online, please let us know your current situation and if there are anything we can help.