Waterproofing balistic nylon

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired a Maxpediton pack, and now I would like to protect it if at all possible.
Is there a spray or anything made specifically for nylon to help deter water and stains?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camp Dry silicone spray is great for making nylon (and leather) very water repellant. I use it on just about all the nylon I have/use. It doesn't do as much for stain repelling though.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to use liquid cement waterproofing for the nylon pack. The same stuff you apply on tent floor seams to make it waterproof. You can buy it from hardware store.

Warning: you must apply the cement in well ventilated area. Do not do this while you are in a room or garage. You have to be completely outdoor backyard or front yard.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nikwax doesn't stick to the nylon permanently. It is designed for Gore-tex jacket. You have to wash the nylon in hot water once expose to nikwax for it to bond to nylon. Nikwax is out of question.

Saaby

Flashaholic
There's a version of Nikwax specifically designed for packs. I picked up a bottle when I ordered some stuff from Tom Bihn, but haven't tried it out yet.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what a maxpedition pack is, but if you go to grangersusa.com, and click on waterproofing, you can find some stuff to waterproof nylon. I bought the wash-in waterproofing stuff and the g-wash cleaner. The g-wash cleaner cleans the material without removing existing waterproofing and doesn't leave any detergent or residue that might interfere with the adherence of their waterproof formulas. I used the solutions to waterproof a jacket that I use in the rain a lot, a pair of snowboard pants, and for an E-Tech Explorer laptop backpack. They work pretty well, but might be expensive, and are only good for waterproofing 3 garments. I think I paid about 24 dollars for both of them from REI. I bought them on the website and had them shipped to my local REI for pickup to avoid shipping costs. The waterproofing is activated by the heat of the clothes dryer. I'm not sure if they're all activated this way. I know there are a few different ones they sell.