• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HD45

McGizmo

Flashaholic
OK, guess I need to discuss this light. :eek: I will come back later with some images and edit this post.

The HD45 is based on the concept of simple and reasonably rugged duty. It is available from the shoppe in limited quantities and I will be building more to get to Wayne as time and demand dictate.

The current version available from the shoppe has a wiz2x2 driver with two current levels which are approximately 150 mA on low and 950 mA on high. The LED is a UX1K Luxeon III.

The light was designed with the intent for it to be able to go underwater and survive compression loads from submersion. I am not claiming it is a dive light nor do I suggest it be used as such. There are two possible points of entry for water and they are through the front of the head and through the head to battery tube joint. The front of the light is guarded with a 4.6 mm thick polycarbonate window which seats against a face seal O-ring. The window is retained by an additional O-ring that seats in a groove and puts a compression load against the window to provide the initial seal. Additional external pressure will force the window further against its seal. The battery tube seal consits of two bore seal O-rings located on the head and forward of the male threads. Both O-ring seals are engaged in both off and on postitions.

The light is turned on by tightening the head against the tube. You first encounter low beam and further tightening will bottom out on the high beam level. It is possible to fine adjust the light just short of either low or high and to use your thumb against the head to activate the "next" level; low from off or high from low. Many have found that backlash momentary is a viable and simple solution to a light that does not have a more sophisticated momentary selection. This light is not intended as a tactical light; with the possible exception of TV. :p

The Head has a major OD of 55 mm or 2-5/32". It hosts a 45 mm reflector based on the same reflective curve as the McR-27 and McR-38. The reflector has an OD of 45 mm and is 44 mm deep. The LED is mounted in a pocket in an integral bulkhead so the head is the heat sink. The mass of the reflector is also in the thermal path to a reasonable extent.

The battery tube is approximately 25 mm or 1" in OD. It has a battery bore ID of .740" or 18.8 mm :rolleyes: * This bore will allow the overly fat Pila 168A to be digested. The light will also work with 2xCR123's and 18650 or 17650 cells. There is a silver plated conical ground spring in the bottom of the tube that makes contact with the rear face that has been faced after anodize to expose the raw Al. The switching is accomplished first by Killroy's nose and for high level, when the contact ring makes contact with the shoulder in the battery bore. The contact ring is only .750" in OD so there is a .010" interference of overlap between the contact ring and its contact surface.*

The 45mm reflector coupled with the Luxeon III provides a tight and concentrated spot beam as well as a tight spill or corona with good intensity. On 150 mA, this light will register lux readings in excess of many smaller lights on their high setting. It is quite possible to navigate and illuminate targets at a reasonable distance on the low level and I would expect that the light would be used often in low. On high, there is plenty light to break into ambient shadow or reach good distances in the dark. It is interesting to consider the two levels as they don't seem to be as far apart as the current levels would indicate.

Personally, I think the HD45 is more of a specialized flashlight and likely well suited for walk about as well as other applications where one needs a durable and simple light that has some good reach. It is a light meant to be used, dinged and scratched. It has no frills but if properly lubricated, there is a nice action in twisting it on and off. There is a deep lanyard groove in the aft section. The window can be replaced by pulling out the retaining O-ring and the O-ring can be reinstalled with a good thumb and technique. I only had a few hundred sets made and I do not think this light will ever be considered a main staple. It is a nice clunker though! :D The head and tube have heavier wall thicknesses than the other lights I have designed. This one is the beater for the tool box or glove box or trunk.

* One of the aspects of this light that is seemingly less than robust, IMHO, is the contact region or overlap between the contact ring, Killroy and the battery tube. Early on, I figured I would have to either give up the large pila compatible bore or get some slightly larger diameter contact rings made. Prior to pulling the trigger on having the battery tubes made, I came real close to cutting back the ID to accomodate a real 18650 but the heck with the "fat boys"! However, in for a penny, in for a pound. :thinking:

I have had the finished parts for some time now but held off on doing anything with them as I hoped for some enlightenment on the contact situation. In the mean time, I kept playing with and testing some I had built out and have not had any trouble with this issue. The more I have thought about it, the more I realized that even though it is not a great overlap, it is sufficient and in some respects actually preferable in terms of self cleaning and contact pressure.

EDIT: Pictures added:

HD-heads.jpg

HD-LineUp.jpg

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Thanks Don - great introduction to the light. I would imagine that being a primarily a work light and not a "shelf queen" that you will keep finishes to the same as the old Ford Model T - all colors as long as it is black ;)

Will

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,
Yeah, I am moving towards the black more and more!! It's a consistant finish done by some nice guys locally and I think I am the only one getting parts in this finish.

X33

Enlightened
So with that 45mm reflector and the U bin at 950mA, is this gonna outhrow and outmonster my T bin Aleph 3 at Wiz2 1000mA?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The 45 mm reflectors have pretty agressive orange peel and I have found that measuring the lux at one meter with these does not give a fair indication of the beam you will have in use. Both the spot and the corona will reach further down range than those of the 38 mm reflector but you would need a side by side comparison to really see the difference or pick targets at the extreme range limit of each.

Since size and weight was not of primary concern here, I went up to the 45 mm to capture more of the "premium" light that would have been direct spill in a 38 mm reflector.

To view the "gold" in the McR-45, You need to back up a couple meters.

X33

Enlightened
Thanks, so there is no need for another light right now. Or is there....???? he he

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about getting a Surefire U2 for my hiking backpack, but it sounds like this will do the job just as well. I like the concept of a more concentrated spill.
Is the finish the same as on the black PD?
Another question, will we soon see improved/other versions of this or should I just go ahead and order now?

Sigbjoern

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Same finish as the black or "slate" PD. The only "plans" in the works at present would be the addition of a 5W version. This is down the road and if the hosts are all used up in U bin builds then it wouldl be a non starter. It is unlikely that this will happen but who knows the future. I don't want to say more as this in someone elses's balliwick but in fairness I didn't want to keep silent about the possibility either. I won't field questions on the 5W so please don't ask.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm actually not that interested in 5W since I imagine the 3W will throw better and give better runtime. Now I just have to wait for them to be restocked, they sure sold out fast.

Sigbjoern

fleegs

Enlightened
OK. To verify.

This light would not come on if packed, correct?

This light is regulated at low and high, correct?

Thanks,
rob