Safety Eyewear

Andrew888

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone suggest good quality and reasonably priced safety eyewear for use with a 532nM 200mW power laser? I understand that there are links to several companies offering safety wear, but I didn't know if anyone had some quick helpful information reagrding reasonable priced, but effective eyewear.

Thank you,
Andrew

Last edited:

nero_design

Enlightened
I just purchased some 532nm laser safety glasses from Wicked Lasers. The order was recieved late Friday...and then first thing Monday morning and arrived on the Friday. Some pics of my wife using them for photographic experiments with the lasers here:

http://www.pbase.com/nero_design/pro1wickedlasers

I STRONGLY urge people to use appropriate laser safety glasses when working with lasers <5mW and higher. The specular reflections can be VERY dangerous up close if the output of the laser is fairly high (hence I bought two pairs)

nero_design

Enlightened
I'm a VERY strong believer in promoting safe eye wear with lasers though so for those people wanting to "play" or work with lasers, it's certainly a very sensible investment to buy one if not two pairs of glasses so that you and the people you're working with or demonstrating to can enjoy the experience in moderate safety should the circumstances require it. Specular reflections from brightly lit surfaces are quite serious considerations.

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Hi "Nero_Design". I just want to comment here. There should be a law that no one under 21 should be allowed to buy any laser, no matter if they're a 3mw red pointer or a 100mw green pointer. I heard about a law in the making that if someone points a powerful laser pointer beam in public and causes a vehicle crash or airplane crash, the consequences of a large FINE and or possible JAIL term for a YEAR is likely.

In my neighbor hood, last Christmas a teenager recieved a 5mw red pointer as a gift and he was pointing it at cats/dogs heads and my head and several other people who got on his case! Neighbors raised hell about it. I don't blame them..

I have a 5MW green pointer myself, but don't use it as a toy. I'm a part time astronomer and use it to point out certain stars in the night sky. Robt.

Last edited:

nero_design

Enlightened
Hi Robt,
I can appreciate anyone's concerns about laser safety. Any laser of any strength (including <0.9mW) is capable of distracting a driver in a vehicle. That is why laws exist to discourage such mischief. 10 years ago kids were throwing stones at cars which is probably just as foolish. Though it's possible to cause harm to one's self with a laser under <25mW, it arguably requires fairly close proximity to the aperture and certain conditions to be met in order to cause eye damage. However, when exceeding this output (anything beyond and above <25mW), there's a likely a more serious risk to other people. Most especially with lasers around the <50mW and upwards range since these can actively burn dark surfaces up close.

When <5mW laser pointers dropped below the $100 mark in the early 1990's, they were seen as (and unfortunately became) "toys" for children. When they dropped to under $29, they were openly sold to children in markets etc... and THIS was when they began to be used for public mischief. They showed up in cinemas, they were shone at vehicles and were used to torment other children etc. To date, based on a recent series of investigations, there are NO legitimate confirmed cases of ocular laser damage from these lower powered lasers. And now, due to these earlier incidents with the lower powered lasers, laws have been passed to control what can be sold to the public and restrictions came into effect.

The benefits of the more powerful lasers (over <5mW) being more expensive is that children really can't afford them. And the highest powered lasers seem to be the most attractive to them yet the high cost is proving to be prohibitive. Online techniques such as using a credit card to purchase them is just one of the ways suppliers restrict the purchase to people who are deemed to be adults. I myself would NOT want a kid pointing a <70mW laser at me, even from a "safe" distance (based on beam divergence and intensity). Another great idea is to differentiate between the higher and lower powered lasers: anything hand-held that is under <5mW is called a "pointer" and anything hand-held and over >5mW cannon be referred to as a pointer... and is often called a "module" or "device". Websites like this one are ideal for informative reasons since anyone (including myself) shopping online for something like this can find an abundance of information informing us of potential risks etc.

The <5mW pointer that you use can indeed be used for Starpointing and I used to use my own <5mW Leadlight laser for this very purpose. But the beam is fairly faint and if you are doing a bit of Astronomy (and if it's within your consideration), you might consider looking at the <25mW-<30mW laser as it's brightness of beam is considerably stronger than the one you are currently using. You need very dark and ideal conditions to see a <5mW beam compared to the higher output versions. Astronomy suppliers here (in Australia) were particularly fond of <20mW lasers for their customer base but have since been forced to stop selling them. We're still allowed to purchase them from overseas for our own use though. This effectively keeps them away from children and to a larger degree it keeps them off the streets.

I don't mind the application of a 21/18 age restriction. Although the majority of abusers seem to be below the 16 year old bracket.

Robt

Newly Enlightened
Say NERO, over at LASERGLOW in B.C. Canada, their lasers have "5 key safety features". Does yer website WICKEDLASERS have at least 2 to 3 key safety features? Read about LASERGLOW'S U.S.D.A. fed regulations about safety features... If a powerful green laser pointer has at least 5 safety features, then it's considered somewhat "safe" to use and okay to sell. One thing about laser glow, their prices are rather HIGH! Tell me yer comments, suggestions about this.. thanxs. Robt

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
The safety issues will sort themselves out, 30+ MW laserpointers will eventually reach the hands of kids with permissive parents that have fat wallets to give them everything the ask for.

Kid will take this to school and cause injury, parents and vendor get a lawsuit and fined, news story about laser injuries on all the news channels about a confirmed injury.

Then the laws will quickly shift way to the extreme with a war on laserpointers. this is how things usually work.