How does EOS compare to Matrix 2?

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I've got a couple of Matrix 2 headlights and was thinking about picking up a EOS. Hows does the beam compare to the Matrix? The EOS looks like it should have more throw. Also I had an Aurora once but sold it because the light set so close to my head that it put light down through my glasses and that really bothered me. Do you think that will be a problem with the EOS or does it set out slightly farther than an Aurora? I'm thinking of getting the EOS bike setup so I can use it on my helmet and then as a regular headlight with the band. John

BlackDecker

Enlightened
The review on flashlightreviews.com gave the Matrix 2 a 4 star rating, but gave the EOS a best-of-class 5 star rating.

The EOS can be found as cheap as $27 online, the Matrix runs slightly over $30. I think I'd would go for the EOS as it's 3 AAA batteries are slightly lighter than the 2 AA's in the Matrix 2.

Biggest advantage I see of the EOS is it has 3 light output settings, whereas the Matrix 2 only has 1.

I've heard some folks with the EOS don't like the light spill reflecting off their glasses. I've never had that problem, but I wear my headlamp over a ball cap, and the visor blocks any light spill I might get.

Battery life is about the same.... roughly 8-10 hours.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
BlackDecker, Thanks for the info. I've got a few Matrix 2 lights and really like them. I keep one in my motor home, use on in my shop for working on vehicles and I've got another that probably gets an hour or use or so every night taking care of things outside and taking care of our animals. They are great lights but a little bit to mount on a bike helmet so that's why I was thinking of the EOS. Sounds like a good light I'll have to give it a try. Being on a helmet should set it out far enough that it won't spill through my glasses. Have you ever tried running your EOS on NIMH AAAs? If you how long did they last before it dropped out of regulation? John

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Yes, I've tried NiMh cells in my headlamp; they are the newer 850mah Eveready cells, and provided almost 2 hours of regulated light. This closely matches what you'll see out of a standard alkaline. I'm sure lithium AA's would go longer, but I think they're pricey, and bringing a spare set of 3 AAA's is not such a huge weight penalty while on a backpacking trip.

My other concern with lithiums is that the higher voltage might damage the LED. Lithiums can run higher than 1.6v.

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
There is a small amount of spill around the main hotspot. For closeup work such as reading a book, the hotspot may be a little intense, and the spill is very noticable. For walking around in the dark outdoors, the sidesplill gets dimmer naturally as the distance gets longer, but is bright enough to see objects at a few metres away.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody modded an EOS to use a Surefire beamshaper for more diffuse light. I imagine you could do something similar or simply put Scotch Magic tape on it as has been recommended elsewhere for cleaning up bad beams.

-LT

Torchaholic

Newly Enlightened
Pilot4x4,

I did a simple beam comparison with these three lights:

-EOS bike (purchase two days ago from supremeco, it has a handlebar mount and a helmet mount, all you needed is a spare head band which I have lying around, Grrrrrreat 2 for the price of 1, a 'Bike light' and a 'Head light')

-Matrix 2 (purchase few months ago, now just sitting quietly in the drawer!)

-Surefire L1 2nd Gen

Here's what I think :
The three settings of the EOS (high-med-low) is somewhat in between the High and Low of the SF L1. The EOS low is more useful than the SF low. The spill of the EOS, although not dazzling , is bigger and better than the SF L1.Throw wise the L1 wins, but not by a great margin.
As for the matrix 2 , from my eyes, it's a 'hair' brighter than the EOS on Medium, both have very similar side spill! The hot spot of the EOS wins easily!
Also the EOS weighs less than the Matrix 2(I haven't tried lithium AA's).

I generally like the EOS a lot more! JMVHO.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshot of Matrix II, Left. Brinkman 1 Watt, Right. Taken at 7"

dsc010544gf.jpg

You can't beat the price of the Brinkman 1 Watt, $19.99 at Walmart.

dsc010449df.jpg

dsc010505kk.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey thanks for the heads up. I have one and agree it's a little top heavy for me but I just bought one at this price for a Christmas gift and can pick it up locally.

I'm looking at the EOS for myself but from what I gather reading this thread the beam is not any wider then the Matrix. As I posted in another thread, I am looking for something brighter then the Aurora but with that same wide type flood. It seems from what I read the Petzl Tikka XP with the diffuser seems to go too far the other way and it's only bright enough to read by?

But thanks for pointing out the great deal on the Matrix 2. I never would have found this out.

Magic said:
Matrix II is only $14.93 at rei...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...roductId=47868789&parent_category_rn=22000137

Weighs too much for me....but can't beat the price.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
Hey thanks for the heads up. I have one and agree it's a little top heavy for me but I just bought one at this price for a Christmas gift and can pick it up locally.

I'm looking at the EOS for myself but from what I gather reading this thread the beam is not any wider then the Matrix. As I posted in another thread, I am looking for something brighter then the Aurora but with that same wide type flood. It seems from what I read the Petzl Tikka XP with the diffuser seems to go too far the other way and it's only bright enough to read by?

But thanks for pointing out the great deal on the Matrix 2. I never would have found this out.

Use coupon code "GMCP9" to get 20% off any single item at REI-outlet.com, including this headlamp. Just ordered one for $12.98 including tax and free pickup at my local REI store. Good deal?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wish we knew more about the brinkman headlamp... like runtime graphs etc... looks interesting!

anyone know brinkman's webpage?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
4x4, I use the EOS some nights when I start biking late in the evening. I normally bike off road, and having it mounted to my helmet with a velcro strap does the job well. However, it could do better with a bit more spill, as some may have mentioned. Otherwise its sufficient for late night bike rides in the trails.

Only thing that i think I should warn you and all others of though, if riding or using an Led headlamp (like the EOS for e.g.) in foggy or rain conditions, have an incan light as a backup at least. I was caught in the rain the other evening and the EOS held up well in the wet and all. However when it started to get a bit foggy in parts of the trail or where it was clear of trees and the rain was just pouring in sheets, the white light from the LED reflected off the fog/rain and I could barely see more than half a metre ahead of me. I had to point the light sideways in order to try and see what's ahead of me instead... So do be careful yea?