BlackShadow
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "McR- xx" Reflectors

Default Re: "McR- xx" Reflectors

The McR-27 is essentially similar to the PR (pelican reflector) in the PM6 ... that uses a Xenon lamp with very nice results. The rest of those McR-xx ...
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Popcorn Re: "McR- xx" Reflectors

bookmarked,
    will order at shoppe soonest.

warren,
    Tracking. Select "International Registered Item." at Tracking Type selection.

Flashaholic

Has anyone sucessfully used the MC18 or 20 in a FF2? Trying to build one out of a plastic 17 is not a socially uplifting event at best.

Leadfoot
    Superior minds are concerned with ideas
    Average minds with events
    Inferior minds with personalities

Paul,
    These reflectors are designed with the image or light source directing light from essentially 90 degrees off axis and forward. An incan source has light emanating in more directions and any rearward light would not be utilized or sent forward by these reflectors. Their efficiency would be poor in most applications I would expect.

If you look at the reflector labled as McR-27 above, I mistakeningly used the original Pelican M6 reflector in that image. The McR-27 would be that reflector if the final "step" seen on the rear of the reflector were removed. That section should be present on the 38 mm as well as the 45 mm if it were to be used with the incan lamp that is in the Pelican M6.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

They will all "work" with xenon's, the PM6 reflector, which is very close to the McR27, was, after all, initially used with a xenon.

The secret is being able to place the filament at the right spot in the reflector and since all of these were designed to have the light source at the bottom, you will have to be very precise in the placement of the filament. That's tough to do, just sitting the bulb in and moving it around to find the ideal spot. Unlike Led's which have essentially a 180 degree light radiation, a filament radiates 360 degrees, so to best capture that, the filament should sit up inside the reflector.

So, I guess the answer is, Yes AND No!

EDIT: Well I started this then had to leave, then rewrote it and Don beat me to it!!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic

Can you post or point me to the depth of each reflector? This would help decide where these would work or not.

sflate,
    PDF's of McR-xx's

Allow +/- .005" and you will not have any problem. The tollerances of the reflectors are tighter than this in some cases; or at least they should be.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Buttrock Re: "McR- xx" Reflectors

cool, bookmarked.
    Tracking. Select "International Registered Item." at Tracking Type selection.

*Flashaholic*

Likewise, bookmarked! (And thanks!) I cut down a 19 last weekend, and dumb luck got it ~.06" above the LS. I still haven't made the time to make a light engine for some comparisons. I dearly begrudge the .210" it adds to the light over the cut-down 20. (But who knows, after sein' some beams, maybe )

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Larry,
    That's .210" of prime photon country there! Use a shorter battery!

*Flashaholic*

And the horse you rode-in-on, Don! I need to get serious, and get off my FFF fixation and get a light engine built. Making circuit boards with an Exacto/Dremel is somewhat of a PITA! Obligatory:

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Larry,
    The FFF will always be with us and no need to rush on it! When it's ripe, we'll know it!

In the mean time,

Don,

A 52.1McR would be really nice for us Mag Head's

Later
    Kelly

Flashaholic*

The 27L looks very interesting to me...
    Will it ever be available?
    "Old LEDs never die, they just fade away."

Sway,
    If I did a 52 mm reflector the way I would want it for a LED, the Mag bezel would need to be replaced with a much deeper one!

KFC,
    THe 27L reflectors have been ordered and should show up mid next month.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo
    Sway,
    If I did a 52 mm reflector the way I would want it for a LED, the Mag bezel would need to be replaced with a much deeper one! .
    Aw Shucks! I figured as much.....I really like the McR's, the 20's I have in a Tri-Lux return U-Bin light meter readings with T-Bin's, nice!

Later
    Kelly

Anybody know which, if any, of these critters will fit in an old style KL3? I'd really like to tighten up the beam.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

IIRC some guys including Chop used a 27mm for this, but I could be wrong ...
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I believe Chop modified a 27 mm to fit in the KL3. For drop in, I suspect the 18 mm will replace the NX05 optic with little effort other than "cracking" the head open. It might be a nicer beam if you replace the LD with a HD as well.....

Lightbulb Re: "McR- xx" Reflectors

Don, Awesome database......

Excellent, thanks guys. It's hard to believe that that monster has only a NX05 in it. I guess I could put a Fraen LP in it and come up with a beam similar to the newer version since I think Chop will be otherwise engaged for a while.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo

McR-27: This is my first reflector of a parabolic nature

I am quite new to working with reflectors, so I tried to do some simulation in PovRay. When putting a tiny yellow sphere in the focus point of a parabolic reflector, it only showed a yellow doughnut ring when looking into the reflector. The ring increased in size when the sphere was moved into the reflector (from the back). When switching from a perspective camera to a orthographic camera, the reflector was suddenly filled up with the yellow color. I guess that means that a perfect parabolic reflector will only have hotspot, in the size of the reflector diameter, when using a infinity small light source in the focus point - since the rays are parallel with a orthographic camera.

What are the nature of the other reflectors, if not parabolic?

A year ago you send me a pdf-file with the schematics on the dimensions of the McR-20 in millimeters. Do you have schematics on the other reflectors?

I did a KL3 mod,
    The 27mm IMS needs to be sanded down.
    Chop did use mcr-27's but he had to turn those down too, I know he used
    to sell kits which included spacers for the Mcr.

PrebKlok,
    There was a link in a post on the first page and I have used a reserved post now to ptovide the link but to make it easier:

PDF's on the reflector dimensions HERE

Enlightened

I know you said this about the Mcr-18
    "McR-18 will retro-fit in many of the lights designed initially for the NX05 optic"

but that word "many"...

Has anybody tried one of these in an older KL1 head?

I hope I'm right in thinking the KL1 has a NX05. I'm new to all this and still learning...
    -Robin

I just tried one in a non functional KL1 head and the reflector will pop into the interior of the window gasket and it looks like a simple swap out to me.

Enlightened

Hey great, thanks!

Robin
    -Robin

The 18 looks like it is very close to fitting the Fenix lights. I know the Fenix reflector is threaded but so is the heat sink which might be used to hold the McR-18 in position. Anyone know if it will fit for certain?

Flashaholic*

I just measure the OD of the heatsink itself at it is 0.7435", just shy of 0.8 = 18.89mm now assuming we know the thread depth, we can figure out of the thing will fit. My guess is that it will fit but don't take my word =P Good luck finding a MCR-18 as well!

Hey Goldserve, they have 54 McR-18 reflectors in stock ($16.00/ea) at the sandwich shop. I'd like a larger hotspot and smoother transition to spill but I'm hesitant to order one cuz they aren't cheap and might not fit.
    Last edited by xochi; 10-31-2005 at 07:28 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast