Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "McR- xx" Reflectors

Default Re: "McR- xx" Reflectors

It is like onion rings ... yes. No dark zones or irregularities ... but no smooth transition either. This is with a LuxV LE just screwed in without any spacer or fancy mechanism. I have no idea if something like this would actually help.

Here's the close-up:

And the LuxII to compare:

While the LuxIII is somewhat smoother there is not that much of a difference between those beams, they are quite similar. Interesting.

bernie
    Last edited by Kiessling; 09-20-2006 at 04:03 PM.
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

lol, they look almost identical.

hmm, i can live with onion rings
    no blackspots, no other irregularities... all sound good

thanks again

Do you have the capability to do semi-custom one-off reflectors? I'd be interested in a bead blasted McR-18 for a pure flood (no hotspot) application.

Incidentally, the new XR reflectors seem to work well for Pirahna ("Superflux") LEDs.

I've tried the Mcr16XR, 17XR, and 19XR, and they all give a pretty good beam with one.

Toshi

Don, how is the "Orange peel" applied to your reflectors during production?
    My Flashlights
    Elektrolumens Blaster 1R, Cree w/optics | Elektrolumens Blaster 1R, S-bin w/IMS27 | Blaster V | Blaster 3P, U-bin | DX Elly, Cree w/optics | Elektrolumens Lucidus XR-2
    Fenix L1D CE | Ultrafire WF-602A | Ultrafire WF-602A1 | PT Apex, Seoul P4 | DX Lyckeby, R/O Lux1 w/optics | DX Lyckeby | Lots of other stuff i dont remember right now...

Meduza,
    I have no idea what the process is or the materials used.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

I have an newbi question...I am going to build an Aleph 19 head with a GDup LE...when the LE is screwed into the head and makes contact with the metal reflector is there a danger of the driver shorting out against the metal?

You should be fine provided the solder points on the Cree LED are not sticking up so high that they could contact the reflector. You can confirm by placing the reflector on top of the LE outside of the head and evaluate the clearance.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

Thanks for the reply Don.

Will Lunasol reflectors be available or are they all committed to Lunasols?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTiedye View Post
    It's still too early to know the answer to this. I do have more reflectors than planned usage, at this point.

Will you design a 27mm reflector for the seoul P7 in any near time?

I am in the process of designing a custom flashlight from scratch and will be going for the SSC P4 if i cant get a good reflector for the P7...
    My Flashlights
    Elektrolumens Blaster 1R, Cree w/optics | Elektrolumens Blaster 1R, S-bin w/IMS27 | Blaster V | Blaster 3P, U-bin | DX Elly, Cree w/optics | Elektrolumens Lucidus XR-2
    Fenix L1D CE | Ultrafire WF-602A | Ultrafire WF-602A1 | PT Apex, Seoul P4 | DX Lyckeby, R/O Lux1 w/optics | DX Lyckeby | Lots of other stuff i dont remember right now...

I have some P7 samples which I haven't had a chance to mount and evaluate yet. I do plan to look into some reflector solutions for the LED but I have no idea of what size or form they might take on at this point. I would like to exploit the strengths of the P7 if possible but I need to figure out what those might be; beyond the obvious.

Mcgizmo,
    I have used a Uni-bit to open the reflector opening on the McR27, & McR38 for my P7 projects.
    I found that they provide good focusing of the P7. Because of the large size of the dies, it is hard to get a tight hotspot and on the McR27 (short one used in the Pr-t) you can notice an X shape from the division of the 4 dies. The Mcr27 with P7 is an amazing flood light and makes a KL4 look rediculous. I will be doing a P7 in a Pr-t , but it will get hot FAST. The Mcr27xr actually does a Very Nice job of focusing the P7 and allows for excellent throw. The Mcr27xr does NOT need to be modified to work with the P7.
    The Mcr38 however.....is the winner of them all in my eyes! I feel it gives the tightest hotspot and the throw is amazing. I was playing with all of them last night and was going to do beamshots, but went to bed.
    Please keep me posted if you make more Mcr38's....I would love to do a 3 X McR38/P7 Head
    Thank you for making such wonderful stuff!!!

P.S. I received the Lunasol (from the pass around) today and am REALLY liking it!! Amazing work!! Will the center reflector be available separately?? I would like to do 3-4 of those small guys in something...
    I instantly could see the usability of this wonderful little beast! The 6 3mm LED's really do a nice job of giving a nice flood. I am simply amazed at how well the 3mm blend together to give an almost perfect flood!! And with the Cree kicking in....WOW!! The feel of the flutes on the head when twisting give great feedback and allow for a great grip when using one handed. I have never used a Ti light before, but I can see why people are excited. It does have a certain feel to it, feels very robust/strong!
    Another Amazing Creation!!
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

DaFABRICATA,

I was planning on starting my investigation of the P7 with a few sample McR-27L and 38 & 45 mm reflectors. Thanks for your input and it confirms what I had anticipated. There is a new run of McR-27XR's in the works right now and I am glad to hear they work with the P7. The shoppe will have some as soon as they come in.

My concerns with the P7 have to do with proper thermal management as well as appropriate drivers. I consider it a large LED in all respects and likely it needs some size in host and other components to really shine, as it were.

The Cree portion of the LunaSol reflector is essentially a McR-17XR, if that answers your question.

Thanks for the kind comments on the LunaSol 27 and in general.

Which McR19 reflector would you recommend for use with seoul emitters?

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    Which McR19 reflector would you recommend for use with seoul emitters?
    You might want to check this post to see some results with different emitters. This was posted well before the current SSC LED's existed, but it helps to show the effect it has with a few similar emitters.

schiesz

I have a question for anyone that could answer. I have a Ti McClickie pack coming and I'm trying to decide what size of head to buy for it. There are a few Ti heads popping up that can take the McR20S and McR27S. I already have a PD-S so I don't really want to get a duplicate McR20S light so that leaves the 27mm heads.

What's interesting is that TnC is making a Aleph/E-series 27L head. I've done some reading and looking but I'm still uncertain what the beam is like with the McR27L reflector. Kiessling's post #96 in this thread was really helpful illustrating the differences between the McR20 and McR27 to me. I found some useful beamshots from Codeman's thread here where he has a shot of the 27LT-S, but it's driven at 917ma so the beamshot is not that useful for me.

I've read McGizmo's own descriptions of the reflectors and maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptake, but I don't get it. He describes it as follows:

McR-27L: This reflector exists now in pre-production samples only. It is an extension on the McR-20 and uses the same focal length as the McR-18 and McR-20. It is intended to capture more of the emitted light and redirect this light into an apparent tighter spot as well as a more concentrated corona. The pre-production samples have agressive orange peel on the surface and the result is a flood beam of realitive bright and concentrated beam angle with a center portion that extends the reach noticibly beyond the McR-20. In lux measurement, it falls short of the McR-27 but not by noticible amounts to the naked eye.
    So what does that mean? Doesn't the McR27 already have a brighter and tighter spot than the McR20? Looking at Kiessling's picture again, the McR27 also looks like it has a wider flood too, albeit dimmer than the McR20's flood/spill beam. What's the difference in beams between the McR27 and McR27L?

The McR27L is a longer, or Deeper reflector than the McR27. They have different beam profiles, but I believe the best current application of the long reflectors is for emitters with narrow beam distributions, like the Cree XRE. With a Lambertian distribution like a Lux or a SSC you are fine with the shorter reflectors. I think the McR20 and McR27 do an excellent job with emitters other than the cree. Having said that, if you have the depth to use a McR27L, I see no reason not to.

schiesz

Flashaholic*

Can someone please help me?

Will both the MCR-20 and MCR-20 S work well with a Seoul led?

What is the difference in the beam?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Illumination; 12-06-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Illumination View Post
    Can someone please help me?

Will both the MCR-20 and MCR-20 S work well with a Seoul led?

What is the difference in the beam?

Thanks!

McR20-S will have a more concentrated hotspot, which in turn allows it to throw farther. On the other hand, the regular McR20 will have a more gradual blend from hotspot to spill beam, for less throw but relatively brighter sidespill.
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    McR20-S will have a more concentrated hotspot, which in turn allows it to throw farther. On the other hand, the regular McR20 will have a more gradual blend from hotspot to spill beam, for less throw but relatively brighter sidespill.

Thanks for the help!
    I spend my days in the light thinking about flashlights in the dark

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTiedye View Post
    Curious about this, are they all in lights, or are there some (either -20s or 27s) lying around? Especially interested in -27s.
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

AndyTiedye and Th232,

The LunaSol reflectors were designed specifically for the LunaSol lights and in the case of the 27, in addition to the reflectors, I had mating LED pcb rings assembled in the same number. Yes, I have many of these left and no specific plans for them at present. Having them on hand though gives me options for tomorrow should I want to pursue other ideas. I still think a LunaSol head lamp has potential, for instance.

Candidly, another consideration where there could be a conflict of interest should I let some of these out, would be some LunaSol lights popping up that I had nothing to do with.

This thread was started a number of years ago and things have changed since then. For quite a while there was a lot of room to move around in and one could identify a niche and both focus on one area as well as "share" with others who toiled and cultivated elsewhere, with no conflicts. I could use my reflectors in current programs as well as others using them in other applications. There was plenty of room and plenty of opportunity for everybody.

Flashaholic*

Can fully understand your decision to not let these go, thanks for the response.

I was going through the reflector directory on your site, and I came across the 'prints for the McR-11-XR, and I'm a bit curious about it. A bit of digging came up with the McR-11 being used in Modamag's Dracos, but virtually nothing about the -XR version. If I may ask, what were these for, and is there anywhere that I can buy one?
    Finning does help dissipate heat. This is why the fins are removed before cooking fish. Otherwise it will throw off the heat and not reach the proper cooking temperature. --Duglite

I don't recall off hand but I think they were also for Modamag. I don't know if the shoppe has some of these or not. They might have been for another builder here on CPF.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I still think a LunaSol head lamp has potential, for instance.
    Sorry for the hijack, but ! And would it be a clickie?? Maybe with a high CRI Nichia flood??

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I don't recall off hand but I think they were also for Modamag. I don't know if the shoppe has some of these or not. They might have been for another builder here on CPF.
    Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the shoppe.

Dear Don McGizmo,
    dear Wayne dat2zip,
    dear flashaholics,

I wanted to order some McR reflectors recently but I can't seem to find them on the Sandwich Shoppe website anymore?!?
    What happened?
    Thanks for any info, especially where to find/get them!

My projects so far: http://guest.engelschall.com/~sb/fluo-diving/#Equipment
    Tests have shown my latest construction (http://picasaweb.google.com/ostbey/H...letDivingLamp3) to be suboptimal for underwater fluorescence.
    True UV LEDs as I have used (Nichia NCSU033B, Nichia NC4U133A, both with 365 nm) are more expensive, less efficient (in terms of lm/W) and less effective (in terms of fluorescence achieved) than blue LEDs (450 nm are considered optimal for underwater fluorescence).
    I also used no reflectors at the time because I thought the viewing angle of the LEDs of 90 degrees would be optimal, but it turned out to be too wide.
    Therefore I would like to replace the innards of my latest torch with blue LEDs and use reflectors this time.
    I am thinking about using Luminus royal blue LEDs (http://www.luminus.com/products/datasheets/Luminus_SST-90-RGB_Datasheet.pdf).
    So far I only found this reflector: http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-Zubehoer/LEDIL-Optiken/LUMINUS-Lily-Reflektor-45/56%C2%B0-LT-1694_106_61.html
    An opening angle of the beam of approximately 60 degrees is very important, as it has been found to be optimal for reef checks and photography and filming (http://guest.engelschall.com/~sb/fluo-diving/#RSEC).

BTW, any ideas where I could find a constant current source of 6 A (!) for the Luminus LEDs?!
    (Not too big, because the space inside the lamp is 50 mm in diameter and about 50 mm in height?)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
    LarsB