DIY refresh charger for AA batteries.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silverfox gave me his solution on how he keeps his batteries topped off and I decided to follow his idea and create my own battery refresh charger.

Thanks Silverfox for the idea. I hope you don't mind me spilling the beans and sharing your idea with everyone else.

The basic concept is to use a mechanical timer like the one you use for your christmas tree every year. The one with pegs for every 15 minutes. The timer output feeds a bunch of slow chargers. Since many chargers and other electronic devices have a AC brick leaving the brick plugged in all time when it's not being used is wasting electricity. The timer turns on the brick and chargers once a day and thus tops off the batteries replenishing the ~2% internal loss.

I have batteries lying around all over the place and this is my problem. I don't like to keep the batteries on the chargers and I don't have that many chargers.

As such I have created a simple board that holds single AA battery holders and power series resistor. Hooking the holders up to a surplus wall wart with 5V or 3.3V output will with the correct resistor provide the necessary charge for the 15 minutes it will be turned on each day.

Below is a picture of the plexiglass, copper tape, battery holders and power resistors (15 ohms).

dscn9141.jpg

The picture didn't come out that well and you will have a hard time seeing the engraved plexiglas.

After assembly the top side of the battery holder is shown below.

dscn9142.jpg

The bottomside image.
dscn9143.jpg

The wall wart I have has both 3.3V and 5V output and I plan on wiring both to a switch on the panel so that I can power the batteries from either one.

This will take several weeks to determine the time needed each day and which voltage works better. Ideally, over an extended time of several months this system should keep the batteries near full charge.

My plan is to make one or more of these to park my batteries after I put them in a regular charger. Once the battery has a full charger I will park them here to keep them topped and to keep them at full charge status.

If there is interest in this as a kit form I would be willing to make a run of these for CPF.

The battery holders cost 75c or less and the 3W 15 ohm resistor in surplus is 10-15c each. Add in the plexiglass, copper tape, some wire, solder, switch, wall wart power supply and mechanical timer. I would suspect the total cost would be under $20.00.

I'm actually going to put a AC strip after the timer and put my laptops on this timer as well. That way the laptop will get topped off and not be dead next time I go to use it. Heck... I might be plugging a lot of items on this timer.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Wayne,

What an excellent idea... :D

I wish I could take credit for it, but I think I read about it in a Popular Science magazine back when NiCd's were becoming popular.

One thing I see missing is a logo... :)

Tom

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. :goodjob: I have been using one of the peg-type timers on one of my rechargeable screwdriver/drills. The problem with mine is that the timer's motor got pretty noisy after a while.

Paul

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would be tempted to use diodes instead of resistors for each battery to prevent backwash. If you had a cell (rarely) short out it could cause all batteries to try to discharge through it and during a long power outage when you need this bank of reserve batteries you may find them not as charged as you thought they would be.

chimo try wrapping your timer in bubble wrap if it doesn't overheat or put a box lid over it.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diodes???

I forgot the diodes. I knew I should have sketched it out. I ended up removing the linear regulator and I blew off the diodes too I guess.

I will hack the prototype and get diodes on each battery. Thanks. Good thing it's cu_acrylic and not a PCB. Modifications are pretty easy with an exacto knife and more copper tape. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Wayne