Need to select brother for EDC ultimate85GT

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys - new to forum. I've seen lots of good suggestions for other folks. Hope you can give me some too. I have ordered the EDC Ultimate 85GT - it says will ship in October. I plan to use rechargeables. I would like to buy another incandescent light which most ppl say is better for outdoors. I would like to be able to use the same batteries for both lights. My several criteria are: small form factor; at least 50 lumens; water resistant.

I like the surefire line (E2 series, A2) but don't know if they can potentially accept same rechargeables as the EDC.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll love the U85GT. It will have plenty of power for many outdoor situations, yet is compact, waterproof, and you can throttle it back for low light situations.

A fairly compact yet relatively inexpensive incandescent light with big output and throw is the Streamlight TL-3 (incandescent not LED version). It uses the same batteries as the U85GT, just three of them. I have one and it really kicks out the light.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htm

cy

Flashaholic
consider looking at Surefire L4, easily picked up on B/S/T for aprox. $125. IMHO one of the best buys around.

comes with 5watt luxeon, which will smoke ANY 3watt. ask about tint before purchasing.

combined with two stage switch and 1x 123 or CR2 pack, becomes among smallest most powerful lights available.

runs great with li-ion with hours of runtime on low.

tw4 cr2.JPG

buba

Newly Enlightened
Welcome,

Most protected R123 cells will not fit the A2 as the diam of most push closer to 17MM than 16MM. However most unprotected R123 cells will fit the A2 and recent reports here on CPF indicate the regulated A2 runs fine on R123's. Three R123 cells will blow the bulb on a Streamlight TL3, it needs a pair of R-17500's to support rechargables. There are many choices of R cells in the dealers thread, I have purchased many different ones from AW and www.lighthound.com

If you use reg C123 cells on all lights then both the A2 and SL TL3 would make good choices with the throw edge going to the 3 cell SL TL3 and at about $55 delivered a very good buy.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
liteboy said:
Hi guys - new to forum. I've seen lots of good suggestions for other folks. Hope you can give me some too. I have ordered the EDC Ultimate 85GT - it says will ship in October. I plan to use rechargeables. I would like to buy another incandescent light which most ppl say is better for outdoors. I would like to be able to use the same batteries for both lights. My several criteria are: small form factor; at least 50 lumens; water resistant.

I like the surefire line (E2 series, A2) but don't know if they can potentially accept same rechargeables as the EDC.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

The A2 is an awesome light. I own two, the white and the red LED version. I too am planning on a HDS Ultimate 85GT (I have an older Arc 4 now) and the A2 will be the perfect compliment to that.

Some of the rechargeable 123's don't fit but this, but it isn't really an issue. The A2 is so stingy on batteries - due to the regulation (you don't see the beam degrade like on regular lights and feel the need to change) and the LEDs (which get used most of the time anyhow) that you will find that you are changing batteries much, much less than with other incandescent lights. With the cost of 123's now approaching $1, who cares?

My second favorite (distance second) is the E2.

J.

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, can't wait for the U85GT! From buba's reply, looks like the R123's will not work with SL TL3. also, since it takes 3 cells and most chargers accomodate 2 at a time, it may be somewhat inconvenient. I saw the posts regarding the A2 taking the rechargeables which piqued my interest but it's a fairly long light for the relative weak incan output. Anyone know if the surefire 6P or G2 will take R123's?

buba

Newly Enlightened
You may want to consider one of the multi chargers that charge R123 and other cells such as 17500's. Lighthound and AW both sell such a charger. R123's for your HDS and a pair of 17500's for the T3 with C123's as backup for both.

Last edited:

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with Buba. I recently purchased two protected 17500's from AW to use in my TL-3 and it works out great...

Dave

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Surefire 6P or G2 will take the P90 lamp (from the 9P)?? If so, what happens to output and runtime. According to the lighthound website battery page, the P90 can take R123s. I would like a 2 battery light as opposed to the 3 battery 9P or the TL-3.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
puting the p90 in a 6p with regular c123s will leave a very dim and yellow bulb.

if you want to make the 6p to take a p90, you need to feed it two r123s. this is because the r123s have a higher voltage (~4(?)) there may be heat issues with the G2 because it is plastic, not sure though.

I've heard that you do not want to use two unprotected r123s in series(in a row) for safety reasons.(not sure why, some one else can probally pich in with more info)

try here for more info

Last edited:

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
liteboy said:
Thanks, I will check out those chargers mentioned. excuse my ignorance, what is the "AW" site?

AW is a CPF member, not a site. A great person to to deal with as well. Stands behind his products when they don't work, not only when they do.

Michael

buba

Newly Enlightened
AW has some listings in the Dealer's Corner area of CPF. He has many protected cell types currently listed over the past week including the multi charger. He deals via email, CFP listings and paypal.

Lighthound's site has the same chargers and Protected 123's cells. Send him an email and he will help you out. He also sells some of the incandescent lights you are looking at. His advice/recommendations in the past have always been very good.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks all for the great info....offroadcmpr, that was a great thread - exactly what I needed. based on all the info I garnered here, I have ordered the G2, P90 bulb, R123s from lighthound. the only thing I may need in addition is to swap the lens out for fear of it melting with the higher output bulb.