Imalent
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Default Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Great update mobile1!

Are you able to reveal what the new optic is?

Thanks.

Party Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight
    Are you able to reveal what the new optic is?
    SURE - its a Carclo 10003 (narrow beam) from the UK. Another reason for changing the optic was that the ORing is touching the outside surface of the optic (all the way at the bottom). This screwed up the beam with the NX05 quite a bit, while the Carclo doesnt seem to be bottered at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    SURE - its a Carclo 10003 (narrow beam) from the UK. Another reason for changing the optic was that the ORing is touching the outside surface of the optic (all the way at the bottom). This screwed up the beam with the NX05 quite a bit, while the Carclo doesnt seem to be bottered at all.
    Thanks, now all we need is beam shots.

Flashaholic

I am glad i got my name down for the next run, this looks amazing!!!!

ok I'll see what we can do regarding beam shots. First priority now is to get some runtime/brightness/efficiency data for the driver.

Evilgrin07 Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

OK lots of great news. HERE IS A PHOTO OF OUR PILA UNIT, turned on, with Battery inserted - it looks really cool I think I personally always liked the 123 version better but looking at this PILA version... I don't know anymore. (lets wait for a real 123 version).
    I ALMOST CANT BELIEVE MYSELF THAT THIS LIGHT IS WATERPROOF!!!

Then here is a picture of our driver - more about the specs below

This driver is really really neat. The onboard pot allows you to set a current between 50mA and 2,000mA !!!! When we deliver the lights it will be set to a normal level. Now I am sure many of you appreciate the option to set the current like this, especially when the K2 is available you can drive it at 1500mA or more (dont think there is another driver out there that can do this). You can also if you feel like it drive your LuxIII at 1500mA (not recommended but you can). The entire circuit is designed so that it can handle 2A.
    NOW on our end what this means is that we can't give you any warranties when you run you LuxIII at 2A.
    A couple of other things. The heatpad between the LED and board is a space grade pad - better then any thermal epoxy. Then the board is done so that LED upgrades are possible, or if you happen to fry you Luxeon III when running it at 2A, we can replace the LED for you (at your cost)

Then someone asked for Beamshots. A couple of comments. The old optics we planned to use the NX05 you can see the ring (caused by the ORing). The Carclo optics we are now using doesnt have that - also the Carclo is optimized for Lambertian while the NX05 is ideal for Batwings. By the way the Carclo beam shot seems of center, this is due because the light wasnt level.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Flashaholic*

Very nice work indeed. i would be interested to see the Pila and the R123 version next to each other and then even have runtime info in sort of a table for easy comparision of one vs the other.

Will you be able to go from the Pila rods to the the R123 rods? What will that involve? Looks like maybe a lot of screws etc in order to do that.

Thanks.
    -- CUE

Flashaholic*

Oh Mi Gosh! That is beauuuuteful

The more I think about this, the more this Gattling Light needs a 7 Hz strobe..
    We then have a true Gattling machine gun LED light.

Wow, I am so glad to see this coming. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Last edited by Amorphous; 10-01-2005 at 11:21 PM.

mobile1,

You're part time in San Francisco. How about coming to Ghost Mountain in a couple of weeks and showing us what you have so far.
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

The beam looks great, just like everyhting else about this light!

Flashaholic*

Mobil 1, PM sent............
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Very nice!

karl

Wink2 Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    mobile1,

You're part time in San Francisco. How about coming to Ghost Mountain in a couple of weeks and showing us what you have so far.
    I am signed up for GHOST MOUNTAIN and I and the GatLight will be there!!!

Thumbs up Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Mobile1,
    I give my moral support for this circuit and i promote it with potential enormous for other flashlight applications..........

I am signed up for GHOST MOUNTAIN and I and the GatLight will be there!!!
    My bad . I missed it. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing my new light.

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Outstanding ! I can't wait to see it !

Hi everyone, ok, lots of exciting things regarding the GatLight.

First here is an interactive 3D web presentation of the GatLight. Check it out its a lot of fun to play with - and should shorten the waiting time for those who ordered one.

Then we finally came up with a formal-description of the design specs. It shows how much that went into this light. Here it is:
    The housing design:
    1. Designed to maximize thermal efficiency by maximizing exposed surface area.

2. Mechanical housing assembly analyzed using finite element analysis (FEA) in order to insure structural integrity under stress.

3. Materials: 316 Stainless steel or Titanium (both with hand polished finish)

4. Water sealing designed to withstand depths greater than 1 meter

5. Aerospace grade 100 deg. flat head screws per military specification NAS662

6. Housing screws thread staked for added durability.

7. Assembly performed in accordance with qualified spaceflight hardware procedures and requirements, in order to maximize reliability and quality.

8. Silicone environmental seals fabricated with the use of high vacuum degas process.

9. High precession components: <0.0005" tolerance

10. Heatsink bars pressed into main body under >500lbs axial force in order to maximize thermal efficiency.
    Circuit design:
    1. Circuit board designed to meet the requirements of IPC-A-610, Class 3 (High reliability) And NASA-STD-8739.3 (The same requirements applied to spaceflight circuit boards)

2. 3oz copper plating to provide maximum thermal dissipation.

3. Circuit designed to handle up to 2000mA of current for short durations.

4. Adjustable current from 100mA to 1000mA

5. Future versions up to 1500mA (K2)

6. Circuit board assembly performed by NASA qualified technician per NASA-STD-8739.3

7. LED mounted to circuit board using high performance thermal dissipation pad commonly used in spaceflight applications.

8. Circuit board epoxy potted using aerospace grade thermally conductive epoxy to maximize thermal mass and conduction surface area

9. Preliminary circuit design rated to 85 deg. C
    Assembly testing:
    1. Assembly tested using laboratory grade test equipment and processes.
    Ok and then we finally have photos of a Titanium 123 version. My partner always prefered the PILA sized light - however when he had the TI 123 version assembled he changed his mind. THOSE TITANIUM UNITS ARE ABSOLUTELY AWSOME. Anyway here are some photos. On photos most people like the shinier SS versions better. However in real, everyone likes the TI 123 better - The combined weight of all the metal parts are only 70 grams!!!

For the Ghost Mountain get together in a couple of days I will be bringing 3 GatLights. 1 Stainless PILA version, 1 Stainless 123 version, and the Titanium 123 version.

. . . . . . . . . .

I insist of promote the circuit board IMHO have a big potential use for some other flashlight applications

Oh yea now that is what I am talking about! Very nice.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic*

If I want to change the battery, do I need to carry a screw driver around with me?

Thanks.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Flashaholic

I'd like to be on the wait list, or backup list (if there is one)

This would be great for my 2006 Halloween costume in 2006...
    NextLight

from good, to better, to ...

Quote Originally Posted by NextLight
    I'd like to be on the wait list, or backup list (if there is one)

This would be great for my 2006 Halloween costume in 2006...
    Anyone interested send an email to mobile1 aat gmx.ch and I send you an email when I open sign up for the second run.

Quote Originally Posted by cue003
    If I want to change the battery, do I need to carry a screw driver around with me?

Thanks.

Curtis
    No, no screwdriver needed. If you look at this earlier posted image, in the picture bottom-middle you can see how the battery lid works. You basically push the lid in turn it 30 degrees and the lid with the battery pops out.

Great work, just great!

Hi everyone, ok, lots of exciting things regarding the GatLight.

First here is an interactive 3D web presentation of the GatLight. Check it out its a lot of fun to play with - and should shorten the waiting time for those who ordered one.

Then we finally came up with a formal-description of the design specs. It shows how much that went into this light. Here it is:
    The housing design:
    1. Designed to maximize thermal efficiency by maximizing exposed surface area.

2. Mechanical housing assembly analyzed using finite element analysis (FEA) in order to insure structural integrity under stress.

3. Materials: 316 Stainless steel or Titanium (both with hand polished finish)

4. Water sealing designed to withstand depths greater than 1 meter

5. Aerospace grade 100 deg. flat head screws per military specification NAS662

6. Housing screws thread staked for added durability.

7. Assembly performed in accordance with qualified spaceflight hardware procedures and requirements, in order to maximize reliability and quality.

8. Silicone environmental seals fabricated with the use of high vacuum degas process.

9. High precession components: <0.0005" tolerance

10. Heatsink bars pressed into main body under >500lbs axial force in order to maximize thermal efficiency.
    Circuit design:
    1. Circuit board designed to meet the requirements of IPC-A-610, Class 3 (High reliability) And NASA-STD-8739.3 (The same requirements applied to spaceflight circuit boards)

2. 3oz copper plating to provide maximum thermal dissipation.

3. Circuit designed to handle up to 2000mA of current for short durations.

4. Adjustable current from 100mA to 1000mA

5. Future versions up to 1500mA (K2)

6. Circuit board assembly performed by NASA qualified technician per NASA-STD-8739.3

7. LED mounted to circuit board using high performance thermal dissipation pad commonly used in spaceflight applications.

8. Circuit board epoxy potted using aerospace grade thermally conductive epoxy to maximize thermal mass and conduction surface area

9. Preliminary circuit design rated to 85 deg. C
    Assembly testing:
    1. Assembly tested using laboratory grade test equipment and processes.
    Ok and then we finally have photos of a Titanium 123 version. My partner always prefered the PILA sized light - however when he had the TI 123 version assembled he changed his mind. THOSE TITANIUM UNITS ARE ABSOLUTELY AWSOME. Anyway here are some photos. On photos most people like the shinier SS versions better. However in real, everyone likes the TI 123 better - The combined weight of all the metal parts are only 70 grams!!!

For the Ghost Mountain get together in a couple of days I will be bringing 3 GatLights. 1 Stainless PILA version, 1 Stainless 123 version, and the Titanium 123 version.

U R The Coolest! Great job~!!

Rolleye11 Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Ok I am getting ready to leave for Tahoe.

In a seperate thread here I just posted the results of what happens to the beam pattern when the GatLight (with an exposed optics - where water directly touches the optics) is submersed in water. Click on the link and find out.
    The result is different then what most expected, including me.

Well, I guess this looks like a keeper! Do you forsee any problems mounting the K2s on these boards with these optics? (have you been lucky enough to get your hands on one to try?)

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman
    Well, I guess this looks like a keeper! Do you forsee any problems mounting the K2s on these boards with these optics? (have you been lucky enough to get your hands on one to try?)
    No, not at all. The current board is built to accomodate the K2 (1500mA). And according to Lumileds the optics should work fine. And if it doesnt, upgrade is pretty straight forward most likely remove the screws, change the optics, put the screws back in. Regarding the driver, in fact it is even planned so that the board can be UPGRADED to a K2 when it becomes available. So people can just send us the board and we do the upgrade. The board also slides out easily... it's all very simple and straight forward.

Then to your last question, yes - we were lucky enough to get our hands on a couple of white ones!!!!

We havent put a K2 in yet, but we will soon do it (we first wanted to test the light so we dont blow up one of those valuable white ones)
    Last edited by mobile1; 10-14-2005 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added the optics question part

Oh, you lucky devil! Comparative data and beamshots are imperitive!!