Foxfury Scout
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Default Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

I second the motion of having the circuit board available for individual sale. A driver board with variable output would be usefull for all sorts of mods.
    Last edited by jashhash; 10-16-2005 at 01:25 AM.
    "And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. The greatest of these is love."

Love /verb/: Giving what is needed to those who need it because you care

Flashaholic*

Party Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Simply outstanding

I finally got to see this light in real life.

It has a very unique and pretty appearance. The construction is very solid.

I like it.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

I got to see it too and it is fantastic quality.

Thanks for the compliments. I must say both of your lights the Spy and Jon's lights are most excellent.

Back to the GatLight, I just posted a SALTWATER test in the optics-under-water thread with some really neat pictures. I think that's the ultimate proof that this light is WATERPROOF.

Data, Jon thanks for the flowers. Data I really liked your picture showing the GatLight (PILA version) with all other lights... I took the freedom to post it here in this thread as well so others who are subscribed to it can see it. Have to remember this red background with wood floor. That's a really nice setting to take photos.

I have been playing around with my TI Gatlight 123 the entire week... and I can't get my fingers off. We expect to start shipping in about 5-10 days.

Shipping all of them? Man, I had no idea we were so close!

Well we do them in badges of 5. So the first 5 will be sent out in about 5 days... then 5 every two weeks - however we might do a weekend where we just assemble lights which might speed things up. A light with the soldering and custom silicone seal takes about 1h to 1h and a half to assemble.

Then here are some professional photos of a Stainless 123 to drool over.

Default Easier Way To Install Trasers

You have some space available outside the circuit housing inbetween the rods. Just glue the H3 vials in there where they are protected. No grinding required.

Dang that looks too cool. Hurry up and send it. I am drooling on myself....
    NikolaTesla
    A Xenon Arc is the Spark that Rules the Dark.
    My_Lights

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    Data, Jon thanks for the flowers. Data I really liked your picture showing the GatLight (PILA version) with all other lights... I took the freedom to post it here in this thread as well so others who are subscribed to it can see it. Have to remember this red background with wood floor. That's a really nice setting to take photos.

Those are some fancy lights. Maybe a caption naming them? What's the one on the left?

Well I don't know the names - I think some of'em don't have a name yet. From the left to the right - I don't know - don't know the name but its a CR2 pretty bright, then the Spy from Data, then Jon Burly's & Angus's light, and the GatLight PILA version.

I'm not sure, but I think the one on the left is called the HD45.

The HD45 is a McGizmo light:

... while the one on the left looks like a new HDS light to my uneduacated eyes.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Default accidents when assembling the GatLight.

Here some new photos to give you an idea how hard it is to assemble the GatLight. We basically press the rods with >500lb axial pressure into the main case to improve heat transfer and sturdiness. TAKES A LOT OF TIME, and has the risk that this here <see photo> happens...

Fortunately we have ordered extra bars... so nothing to worry about.

Then here is a photo of the first badge of lights - halfway assembled....

Then here a picture of the first set of circuit boards - halfway assembled.

Then my partner is in Colorado... where they are getting some fog. Here is a photo he took - the beam shines down all the way the entire street. Looks pretty artsy....

Have a great rest of the week end.

Flashaholic*

Popcorn Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

Flashaholic

So...how much are the cr123 versions?

First run, $150 (cr123) (+$12 for Pila version)
    Second run, ?????

I thought the first run wasn't a 1 x 123...no?

JM-99

Thanks for all the feedback. Let me answer a couple of questions.
    -In the first run the following was available - Stainless 123, Stainless PILA and Titanium 123. I think it was 2/3 were 123s, 1/3 PILAs, 6 Titanium, rest Stainless (if I remember correctly).
    -Pricing for the second run. Is still open (too many variables at this point that can influence our costs in both ways). First run pricing was $150 for a stainless 123, $162 for Stainless PILA, $350 for Titanium 123.

-Regarding pricing, one thing is sure. Titanium version of the second run will be more expensive. The machine shop refused to do anymore Titaniums - they lost a lot of money on the TI versions for the first run. And the next cheapest quote is quite a bit higher. So we are currently working on a suggestion of what we can do there. So those in the first run that got a Titanium were really lucky.

Our goal is really to get this first run out before doing second runs.

By the way holding the GatLight is really really neat. Feeling the smooth surface, the texture of the bars, feels really really nice and you catch yourself holding it like all the time - Itfeels totally different then what normal cylinder lights feel like. Everyone have a great week.

Flashaholic

mobile1,

you have created one smooth/unique light. i cant wait till you offer a 2nd run. do you have a ballpark idea of when a 2nd run will be offered? also what other light would you say its brightness is comparable to?
    -Eritt
    --------------------
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: ----The Big Guy

Flashaholic

Oh boy. I think I just found my Xmas present for myself. Pls do advice when the next run will be
    LED: Gladius; Orb Raw (UWOJ); Brass LionCub (TXOJ); Elektrolumens ELX6; Classic Chameleon; McLux Ti PD
    Incan: SF 6P; Mags
    Hybrid: SF A2

Thinking Re: The GatLight is born (formerly known as Gatling Light)

First run is being sent out in November. However we are currently getting quotes for a larger 2nd run. Which will likely (conservative guess) happen at the beginning of this coming year.

Then regarding brightness, well my personal version is set to 1000mA - a luxeon III - which amazingly isnt much brighter then when set to 400mA. Comparing lumens, the light is about 4 times brighter then a Stock Mag 2D light. It is brighter then any other LuxIII light I have (all Arc lights, a LuxIII modded MiniMag). I might take some comparitive beamshots this coming weekend.

I am amazed the reactions I am getting when I take the light out into the public. Yesterday, I was in an acrylic store looking for something to package the light into. So I showed it to the assistant, and a couple of minutes later I had 3 other customers standing there, wanting to know everything about the light.

Then here some more really nice photos of the 123 version... I would love it if people who are in on the first round and that like taking photos, would take some. I would like to start an online photo album and just fill it with different photos of the GatLight.

and of course here a shot with the light being fully submersed in saltwater

I was surprised that the optics still works under water without any sidespill where the water touches the optics.
    Last edited by mobile1; 10-26-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: adding saltwater shot

There is a thread running about the 2006 CPF calender ... and I think you should submit the best pic of this light ...
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

You can bet I'll be taking a few photographs of it.
    Last edited by Stillphoto; 10-27-2005 at 03:11 AM.

Oh I can't wait for this one!

I see that Jon will be offering these, also:

Thread: Introducing The First PC Programable Flashlight

Will your second run come out before he gets his shipment?

Thanks!

Tom
    FLASHAHOLIC!! In a Severe RELAPSE!!

Wink2 Announcement: Jon S. Burly - GatLight

Ok here is some background information regarding this light. As most of you remember I designed the light quite some time ago, and just throught I leave it a CAD design - and don't produce this light even though there was quite a bit of interest. One day Jon S. Burly called me up and said that if I decide to produce this light he would display it at the shotshow, which is the main reason why I decided to go ahead and produce this light.

So Jon is the reason why this light exists at all - so he basically made this light possible.

I enjoy building, designing lights, but not selling or marketing them. Talking to you guys about this light I enjoy a lot.

As most of you know, Jon is probably the or one of the most respected dealers on cpf with excellent customer service, attitude and reputation. He basically breathes flashlights with his heart and soul. The fact that some cpf members (unrelated to john) even have his name in their signature shows his reputation.

So all future runs (starting with this coming 2nd run) of the GatLight will go through Jon. As soon as Jon has the infrastructure in place I'll inform everyone interested in a second run (so far about 50), that they can sign up for a second run gatlight through jon's website.

I believe this will give you the best of everything. A top notch dealer with excellent customer service, while I (& my partner) can focus more on getting you guys the prettiest, highest quality, top notch GatLights possible. Meaning more time invested in making better GatLights, less or no time we invest in packing, shipping, tracking or selling lights. A win win situation for everyone I think.

Of course everything else stays the same... I'll still provide updates on developments, photos etc... also I enjoy the interactions with everyone.

An update regarding the first run. We still think that we can make our original timeline of delivery in November - so no change there. I should get a first batch of 20 semi-assembled lights soon. I think I should be able to mail those out no later then second week in November.