Orb RAW Batteries Continuously Failing!!

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I ordered two batteries when I ordered my Orb Raw. These tiny RCR2's are not doin what they should. The first two batteries failed when a contact inside became loose. So I had two more sent to me a couple months back. The first one I used failed after a week. Now the second one lasted a good month but now it's shot as well. WHAT TO DO ABOUT THIS??

Desperate Dan

mog1254

Newly Enlightened
Dan- Have you had any better luck with the RCR2 batteries yet ? I was thinking about buying a RAW....But now I'm a little concerned over the battery issue....and they're NOT cheap......Keep me posted...and has Rob Cheetham been any help with this--is their customer service any good ? Thanks

unnerv

Enlightened
I too ordered a spare with mine, but it was DOA. I never even got a cycle on it. I just figured it was a fluke since my other one seems fine. I have about 5 or 6 charges on it already. It will be interesting to see how many of these are having problems.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't had a chance to contact Orb about it yet, but I too appear to have one dodgy RCR2. Thought it was initially a problem with the light, but it works fine with the spare cell. Intermittant contact with the other. The intermittant one also rattles slightly when shaken.

Other cell's just about to be charged for the second time, and is behaving so far.

2dim

Enlightened
Could the U bin emitter be draining them too quickly?
Are protected RCR2 cells available?
Anyone had similar problems with JILite DD on the same battery?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
These little RCR2 cells are being asked to do a lot for their size. Typically Li-ion cells are not designed to handle a current draw higher than their amp-our rating, but these little 350 mAh cells are being asked to deliver something on the order of 1 amp, aren't they? Sounds to me you you could expect to have a rather short lifetime under these conditions. :shrug:

Marc

Newly Enlightened
2dim said:

Killed 2 RCRs with my JIL DD K-bin. They had around 2-3 cycles each, never overdischarged them. I'm using the BatteryStation R123 charger, I was charging only a single cell at a time, but since I was advised to charge them in pair (just in case). I'm not through my first cycle yet, so I can't tell if that changed anything. Time will tell.

AW

Newly Enlightened
The factory spec. is 2C ( 700mA ) max. continuous discharge on these RCR2. Please also note the charging rate should be kept under 1C ( 350mA ). For those having problems with these RCR2 cells, please PM me for arrangement of replacement. Thanks!

AW

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've been using the Nano charger myself - I'll probably contact you shortly to get some of the 350mAh batteries soon, just to see if they die too. Two out of three have gone dead for me - one a day after putting it into a RAW, one a month later.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RCR2 that Orb sent me with my raw was also defective. If I tapped the light, or shook abrubtly, it would change the level of output! Low, Med, High! It was a completely random change and would often just drop down in brightness (but a shake would make it bright again). Since then, I've been using "Juice Rush" RCR2's. They're an actual name brand RCR2. You can find them at www.juicebattery.com. I haven't had any problem with them, and have been charging them (actually, the same 1, even though I have 2) with a Nano charger. (they recommend you use theirs, of course)

2dim

Enlightened
Would adding variable power levels, such as provided with POP2 or FLUpic, solve this potential RCR2 problem? How much beam intensity would be lost, if any, versus DD?

cgpeanut

Enlightened
2dim said:
Could the U bin emitter be draining them too quickly?
Are protected RCR2 cells available?

Yes, I think using the U-bin lux in DD contributes significantly in degrading the RCR2, I trashed one already. It was dim right out of the charger. tried to charge it and the LED lit green but still dim when used. It was my fault, I ran it more than 10 mins anyway, you loose track of time when your'e having fun :crackup:

IIRC, a resistored version was offered by Rob a while back? Can we get them as upgrades?

2dim said:
Would adding variable power levels, such as provided with POP2 or FLUpic, solve this potential RCR2 problem? How much beam intensity would be lost, if any, versus DD?

YES, :D As with light intensity it depends on the Vf of the lux and LDO chip used, if you use TPS73601 and a T**H lux it should be bright enough at the highest level. Runtime? we have to measure, Also the light becomes progressively dimmer when you are running out of juice, A very good indication you need to re-charge the RCR2.

Last edited:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
2dim said:

It didn't solve mine - but then again, I'm using the 4sevens two-stage mod. I suspect the problem could be battery related, and the intensity'll depend on the current level delivered by the POP or FLUpic.

cgpeanut said:
IIRC, a resistored version was offered by Rob a while back? Can we get them as upgrades?

He's still offering them on the RAW site - head on over for details - you're only swapping pills, after all.

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
This problem is nothing to do with amount of current drawn from the RCR2.
The problem is spotted if you shake the RCR2 & you feel or here movement inside.
The Reason that we did not spot the ones that were DOA was because they were sold as extras & did not go into anything to test.
Now that we are aware of the problem (which is a manufacturing fault by the RCR2 Factory) all RCR2's are tested before posting.
However due to the nature of the problem the connections inside the cell may just about be connected at the test stage & any sort of knock may disconnect the insides & you end up with a useless RCR2!
The latest batch of RCR2 350 Ma Cells are proving not to have this problem.
AW the supplier to myself very kindly has replaced any faulty RCR2's direct to my customers, he also has sent extra RCR2's to myself to cover the ones that I have replaced.
Any body who has ever told us that there RCR2 is Dead has always been sent replacements with out the need to send the dead one back to us.
So all you need do is email myself [email protected] or AW & if your RCR2 has a rattle it will be replaced FOC. :thanks:

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I do not think the "U" in the bin number has anything to do with it as it does not influence current draw. It's the Vin that's important here.
bernie

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I do not have a U-bin emitter in my Raw. I have the same problem as trashman though. It seems as though something inside the battery itself...some kind of contact is loose causing it to ocasionally shut off when in a certain position. A quick shake can either turn it off or turn it back on all together. I bought 2 with my Raw and they went defective in a month. Then Rob was more than generous in sending me two more Raw batteries but unfortunately now they have both failed. I do not see any point in requesting two more so I will probably just hold on to them for future possible use if needed and purchase one or two from the website posted above. I love the Raw though it's a badass little light!

DanK

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually batteries that size are recommended max of 1.5C discharge maybe as much as 2C.. that means 450 to 600mA recommended max current draw.. and maybe as much as 700mA with the newer 350mAH cells.. the RAWs i have draw FAR more current than that.. at least 700-800mA and it would not surprise me at all that a cell would fail being pushed so hard. I would not recommend making a design that pulls more than 600mA from a 300mAH cell and 450 is better.. the RAW is a DD device.. with a totally fresh charge i would not be surprised to see 900+mA pulled from the battery.. it's kinda like putting 1.7A through a lux using R123.. definitely pushing the enveolope and i've already replaced ONE emitter from my lionheart that was blue from overdriving... I am planning to make my RAWs multi-level to tone back that drive level which in this case is clearly causing problems.. the RCR2 is a tiny battery.. it's very overdriven IMHO in the RAW if using a Jbin emitter.. a Kbin probably would be fine.. same as the Jil.. Jbin is too much drive for DD from LiON and Kbin is a much better match.

-awr

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I got lucky.
My Nano charger was DOA, after contacting AW he sent me a new one immediately. I have three RCR2 batteries with between 10 - 20 cycles on all of them, and they work great.

Michael