3-way or 4-way click switch?

balazer

Enlightened
I'd like to know where I can get a 3-way or 4-way click switch, much like the 4-way switch in the Nuwai triple 1-watt and 3-watt lights:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/997119/

It has four contacts, C, 1, 2, and 3. I'm not certain, but I presume it works this way: first click connects C and 1; second click connects C and 1 and 2; third click connects all four; fourth click disconnects all.

My intent is to use such a switch to turn on and off a modded flashlight and control the dimmer function of a Fatman regulator. Fortunately in the Fatman, the POT(GND) and VIN-(GND) are electrically identical, which would allow me to use a switch like the one above to turn the light on, and give me two or three different brightness levels, by using a network of resistors. I would use a POT instead, but I can't think of a good place to put it and make it waterproof.

LEDhacks sells a 3-way switch, but it doesn't work in a way that I think I could exploit to turn my flashlight on and off and control the dimmer function: first click connects C to 1; second click turns off; third click connects C to 2; fourth click turns off.

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Check out # 524PB-ND at DigiKey.com $2.60 each. Operation is OFF, ON1, ON1&2, ON2, OFF. A partial press opens all contacts. I've designed it into a 3W 2D cell with Low=100mA, Med=450mA and High=900mA. The partial press (from any setting) brings up the Medium setting.

Waterproofing boots are also available. Page 1318 of their catalog.

balazer

Enlightened
Thank, Crux,

I can see how you'd wire that switch to get three brightness levels if you were driving your Luxeons with only resistors. But I don't see how you could use such a switch to control brightness with a current regulating circuit. Are you using a regulator circuit?

I found a different switch from the same manufacturer that should do what I want for two brightness levels with the Fatman. It's an "ON1 - ON1&2 - OFF" push-button switch, in a nice tiny package. I can't figure out where to buy it just yet.

Judco J-977-8
http://www.judco.net/FlatPacCat.htm

Actually I think I was probably wrong about how the three-way switch in the Nuwai 3x3 light works. It's probably "ON1 - ON2 - ON3 - OFF", rather than the "ON1 - ON1&2 - ON1&2&3 - OFF" that is consistent with the behavior of the light. I think the switch circuit in the Nuwai uses a bunch of diodes or something to select the number of LEDs that are turned on. That's ironic, because it would have been simpler and more efficient to have all three LEDs be on at the same time and adjust the current to them with the switch they used and a network of resistors.

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to use the more common switches and some diodes to control brightness with the Fatman.

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I am using a regulator and three TinyLogic gates to control the regulator.
Positions 1 and 2 are ORed to the enable pin...
Better yet I'll post a schematic of it tomorrow. It is a bit on the large side, but it is for a 2D Mag so there is lots of space for it.

Without a logic circuit the momentary (partial press) position is OFF. If resistors on pos1 and pos2 are chosen for, say 200mA and 400mA respectively, then the mid position 1&2 should give 600mA.
This would give LOW, HIGH, MED, OFF operation.

Crux

Last edited:

Crux

Newly Enlightened
Here is a link to a schematic of the switch circuit.

The OR gate goes to the enable input of the switcher.
The buffers are open-drain (connect to gnd, or open circuit) and with the resistors set the feed back voltage of a current sense amplifier.

I haven't tested it all yet but it is ready and waiting for me to find time...

Last edited:

balazer

Enlightened
Thanks, Crux.

It turns out that Judco's description was a typo. The switch I wanted was On1 On2 Off, instead of whatever I thought it was.