Mini CCRadio - First Details

javafool

Enlightened
This is the one I have been waiting for. I had signed up for updates on the Mini CCRadio but obviously they were not sent. This flyer has a lot more info than the last one I saw.

sotyakr

Enlightened
javafool said:
I had signed up for updates on the Mini CCRadio but obviously they were not sent.

javafool - Thought I was also signed up for updates, but like you, didn't receive anything from C Crane. I found the link on RadioIntel.com.

jph

Newly Enlightened
I don't think they are going to make this anymore.
Looks like they are working on a Redsun SW unit now.

jph

Newly Enlightened
From the CES show-
The biggest surprise comes from the C Crane Company which demonstrated a modified version of the Redsun RP2100 with C Crane's famous Twin Coil AM antenna built in to the radio. This should be quite an exciting offering by C Crane once it hits the market.

http://www.radiointel.com/

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was signed up, too. I definately recall CCrane's blurb that they were shelving the project. I had the wants for one really bad. I think that the two biggest challenges they faced were:
  • Making a small antenna that could approach the performance the GE SR III's 7 7/8" ferrite rod antenna or the 8" rod of the CCradio. Size matters.

• Powering a DX rig on AA cells. Remember, three things would need to be powered -- the tuner itself, the PLL and the active antenna.
Perhaps they've put it back on a development track.

Even if it couldn't really compete with the heavy hitters of AM DX rigs I thought it would be a great radio for daily listening. IIRC it was to have 100 memory presets, retaining tone and bandwidth filter settings for each station in addition to freq. I think the memory for the presets was to be flash -- so you wouldn't lose it all each time you had to change out those darn AAs. :D

Has anyone read any statement that the project is actually back in the works?

Last edited:

jph

Newly Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I

Just got the new CCrane Catalog today, It says that they are progressing on the Mini CCRadio.
Looks like it may be coming out soon.:popcorn:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Sub_Umbra, I am wondering the same thing. I like my CCradio because it receives daytime AM stations over long distances. None of my smaller radios can touch it in that regard. So I'm skeptical if anything can take the place of a big ferrite antenna in that regard.

I was signed up, too. I definately recall CCrane's blurb that they were shelving the project. I had the wants for one really bad. I think that the two biggest challenges they faced were:
  • Making a small antenna that could approach the performance the GE SR III's 7 7/8" ferrite rod antenna or the 8" rod of the CCradio. Size matters.

• Powering a DX rig on AA cells. Remember, three things would need to be powered -- the tuner itself, the PLL and the active antenna.
Perhaps they've put it back on a development track.

Even if it couldn't really compete with the heavy hitters of AM DX rigs I thought it would be a great radio for daily listening. IIRC it was to have 100 memory presets, retaining tone and bandwidth filter settings for each station in addition to freq. I think the memory for the presets was to be flash -- so you wouldn't lose it all each time you had to change out those darn AAs. :D