I want to make my SF 6P rechargeable...

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
without loosing any output nor extending it's length. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

SF rechageables give:40 minutes runtime (approximate) @ 50 lumens between charges so you loose time (no biggie) and lumens. And it had to be extended ... don't like this option

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how to do that without extending the length. I've had a 6R for many years and I like it a lot, but it does add a bit to the length.

Good luck...I'm sure someone will have better info...

JM-99

2dim

Enlightened
I'm considering the new 5 lux head and protected R123 cells...waiting for reviews and more info. Guess it won't be nearly so bright as the P61 bulb I have now though...

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila (and probably others) make a 3.7v lamp assembly that will fit in a 6P. With this and a Pila 168S or some other protected 17670 Li-Ion battery you'll get a claimed 80 lumens. Not sure what the runtime will be but I'd wager it will stay brighter longer than the P60.

Jon

2dim

Enlightened
It use their own battery and charging system...wonder how or if it would work with two protected RCR123 cells. Also, how it compares to Luxeon 5w led...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
StoneDog said:
There is also a 105 lumen kit that runs for 45 minutes. It looks like it uses two RCR123s and a lamp designed for the higher voltage:
I'm nearly certain that all such kits, including those from G&P and Digilight USA, use unprotected 123 cells. I'm not aware of any 9V lamp that will run on two protected 123 cells; I've tried it with Digilight's high-pressure 9V lamp, the lowest-current 9V that will fit, without success. I've given up and am now acquiring 3-cell bodies to run a 9V lamp with two 150 Pila-type cells.

The Pila 3.7V lamp (or Wolf Eyes 3.7V, same lamp), at 80 lumens, is the solution of choice.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, you missed me selling my setup A 6P-GM with a P90 and the batteryspace.com rechargeables. Works great!. I was going to sell it but I dropped the light yesterday on cinder blocks and marred up the bezel. Ouch.

Anyway give that setup a try...I think you'll like it.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point on the unprotected cells Paul. Do you know for sure that the GP kit's batteries are unprotected?Jon

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
StoneDog said:
Good point on the unprotected cells Paul. Do you know for sure that the GP kit's batteries are unprotected?Jon
No, it's a reasonable guess, since none of its dealers claims that it's protected...and because I don't remember anyone reporting in these forums that they were able to power a 9V lamp assembly with two RCR123A protected cells; I do remember a few (including me) reporting that they couldn't.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected lithium ion cells are not good if you want a care-free zero-worry light. If you over discharge them they can be ruined. If you short them Very Bad Things happen. If you use them in series and they are not properly matched (either voltage or capacity) Very Bad Things can happen. Flip through the batteries/electronics forums for more info.

Jon

lexina

Enlightened
I have a 6P too and was researching the use of rechargeables. After reading through several threads and not wanting Very Bad Things to happen, I concluded that the simplest and safest way would be to add an A19 extender, use 2 Pila 150s and a P90 lamp. Alternatively, you could add 2 A19s, use 2 Pila 168s and the same P90 lamp for longer run time.

rikvee

Enlightened
Just to summarize, you have these options:

Incandescent:

- $50, similar performance: Pila 3.7V globe/168s battery
- $85, great beam, longer body: P90/91/2 x 150s/ A19 extender

LED:

- $60, no improved performance: 3W drop-in/168s
- $85, wall of white light: 5W drop-in/168s
- $??, newest option: Surefire KL3/ 168s

As you can see, it's all fun, but to save your dough you could just sell your 6P and buy a Streamlight Strion....

Pila's: https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/
AW: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84286
Drop-ins: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/
KL3: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92029
Strion: https://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR74002

Last edited:

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
rikvee said:
As you can see, it's all fun, but to save your dough you could just sell your 6P and buy a Streamlight Strion....
That's the problem. I have a Strion but prefer the SF. In an emergency situation, thow aways are fine. But for everyday use, rechargeables rule. I prefer rechargeables because 1) you always have a fresh charge/max lumens 2) no dim light as you wait for the batteries to die. 3)Cheaper in the long run.

Last edited: