C and D Sized Li-ions

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that these dont exist,but would it not be possible to get some made.

Allthugh one has to order insane amounts.
I do beleve that the interest of such a thing would be huge,once offered.

But will the size of a C or D sell Li-ion be able to hold the capacity we all are looking for.
It would be great for Tri and Quad lux setups in Mags.
Maybe in a HID??? dont know if the Voltage would be sufficient unless one go for a 3c or 3D but either way.

How can we make this happen?

I know that AW has some contacts in the Li-ion World,maybe he could Chime in :)

Benny

AW

Newly Enlightened
The closest size to a C cell is 26650 like these :

PICT0169.jpg

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice,

What are the specs on these?
are they the same length as the C size?

Benny

paulr

Flashaholic
Those are longer than C's, 65mm instead of 50mm. Their capacity is not much higher than 18650's but they are capable of very high current. There are some D sized li ion cells but they are very hard to get. They pack a lot of energy into a small space and as such they can be dangerous, so the manufacturers are not keen on having hobbyists playing with them.

AW

Newly Enlightened
You can drive a WA1274 very well with two 26650 in a 2D Mag.

SAFT makes the D size LiIon cells with capacity around 5 - 6 AH.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
This is a link to an older thread which talked about this issue somewhat.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/26886&page=15&pp=30

quoting Homebrew

"Working on the safety issue, I have a Li-Ion recharger and the safety mechanism is a poly switch, (used in most communications battery packs). Assures limited current reducing the risk of a violent venting action.

You know, the cells I am beta testing have a total AH rating of 4.8 but it is safe IAW the data sheet to have a discharge rate of 16.6 AMPS !!!

When I get it all worked out and safe, I will indeed post the source for the battery. The manufacturer is scheptical so I ask you wait for the results before I force the issue of availability to ALL. I am lucky to live near the manufacturer, let's see what goes here."

BTW, we are talking GOLD here on cost, I have not been quoted in quantity yet but the batteries will rival the cost of MR-X by the time you have 4 and a charger. You know two on duty and two in the charger, I know how the flashaholism works!"

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys for the info,

I take it there will be no C size Li-ions with better capacity than the 18650 Li-ions in the near future.
I have a Nice little Quad lux Mag2C comming my way.And would like a better battery option than cramming a couple of 18650`s in there.

I really like the Feel of the C mag VS the Bulky D mag.

Would be nice if there would be a Big advance in the Li-ion Technology soon ;)

Benny

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saft won't sell to individuals. A few members managed to get some through contacts, but not enough to make any real difference.

There is a "D" cell that is protected and available, and has a huge safety margin for flashaholics. It is being considered for an upcoming project.

Bill

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are apparently some 42x120mm cells of 10Ah existing (or has been). 360g.
http://www.crystalyte.com/lionspec.htm
It is not linked from the main site and is probably a discontinued offer.
But their wh/kg doesn't seem too good as compared to many 18650 cells.
Kind of like the NiMh cells, the AA format seems to be the winner for both price and energy/weight.
I am not sure Kenny (at Crystalyte) sells these or any cells separate, but he does sell 11Ah 36v packs for $270, shipping from China.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the milwaukee v28 might be C- diameter (26mm right?):

> Wonder if we can get just the individual cells - the size and weight looks
> like
> 26650 cells (common, but not as common as 18650's), and these typically
> average
> 3.2Ah/90gm each; if they were the new VT cells from SAFT, they'd be only
2Ah
> each, capable of 25C discharges, and wouldn't have been developed by
> Milwaukee
> Tool at all (unless they funded some of SAFT's R&D costs).

Quoted from http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg05490.html

There is some more detail in the "high current li-ion" thread.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timson said:
What about these from the battery station..........

Click

Too good to be true !!??
Is it that these are NON Rechargeable?

Tim

Those are non-rechargeable. They are also not designed for high drain applications, the spec is as follows:
Standard drain: 150 mA
Max continous drain: 300mA

Sigbjoern

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am still wondering why nobody makes a 22550 Li ion cell. It would replace all those 3AAA cartidges lights use with perhaps 50% or more capacity cells.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 16550 can be modded to replace weasily 3xAAA battereis in a lot of this stuff that give you about 1000ma, instead of 750-900 of the ni-mhys.
but more importantally it give you longer self discharge times.
ni-mhy AAAs work great, but self discharge is a dissapointing issue.

and the 18650s fit in a lot of 3xAAA things after moving stuff around, drilling a bit here and there.
i made 3 dorcy 3AAA 1w into 18650 2400ma 3w s , and they are all totally awesome, use them in the cars, they will run for 5 hours on low, or 2 on high.

Dcell safts are easier than you might think to get, i use them in D mag shorts, and special nflex made lights.
and i would get some protected packs for a group buy, BUT there is one big stupid problem with them, and untill they fix that, i aint gonna be respocible.
if you smashed them by dropping a flashlight hard, they will short.
to much special concideration in the making of the light is required to insure that they can be used safely and effectivly.
if anybody is willing to go through those special conciderations, then they could easily order the things themselves, for about 40-45$ each.

in other words, if you totally know how to deal with them, then you can totally get them, just not a consumer item YET, and when it is a group buy wont be usefull, because then you could bey them anywhere.

its about time sombody started applying them

in the meantime a quad of the 14500 can be assumbled for about 2400ma (1/2) and you can place cheap protection curcuits in the center of the quad, make a very well protected fully safe D replacement.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
wasn't slavin4u (or something like that) offering to work on developing custom batteries. This was eons ago, so my memory might be... what was I going to say? :)