Building a portable 890nm 35 mw..

Redhunter

Newly Enlightened
Hello..I was looking to buy/build a portable 890nm 35mw laser.

I can't seem to find one on the net for under BIG money...

What are my options here?

Can anybody help?

I would like to just hook up my double AA(s) and use it..

Thanks again,

Redhunter

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why 890nm? NVG?
If so, the tolerance on the wavelength should be broad enough you can substitute that with some more common (and therefore cheaper) wavelength diode.
Then, you can probably find the diodes and drivers that'll run on 3VDC and assemble it into a 2AA body pretty easily.
Good luck.

Redhunter

Newly Enlightened
The 890nm was the best wavelength for my purposes.

I hate to bother you even more, and I have spent some time looking. But I haven't been able to get the different parts and procedures down yet to get going on the project.

for example, I dont know what NVG is..heh.

So the parts I will need are from your posting:

1)laser diode 890nm (or close) 35mw
2) driver
3) batteries

And that is all?

Red

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry my bad. NVG: night vision google? (the hunter part in your nick gave me that hint)
I'm not sure what 890nm is for (fiber optic perhaps?) and granted a quick curiosity search confirmed it's not common at all. What do you want these for?
Roithner laser has 870nm and 900nm 50mW diodes and both their datasheets indicate they'll range from 870 to 910 so (i think) it's as close as you'll get. Also, the 870nm diode appears to be a 5mm one so it'll fit regular pointer for simplicity.
If you're looking to build one yourself, then yeah diode/driver/power is the basics; of course, you'll also want optics, a body with a switch and a heatsink for the diode.

Redhunter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah 870 or 900 50mw is just fine...

The optics is for what? I thought that the light eminating from the laser diode would be enough..

it needs to be focused?

Red

ps:yeah a pointer type is just fine. Do you know where I can find the whole set to purchase and build?

pps:also, is this something the average joe can figure out?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The laser radiation directly from the diode is a fan-shaped beam of approximately 10° by 30°; and needs to have a magnifying (positive focal length) lens placed in front of it to collimate (focus) the fan-shaped beam into the narrow laser beam you want.

*ALL* diode and DPSS lasers are like this; not just the one you propose to build.