Pila's?

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm going to buy some rechargables for my surefire U2 and don't have a clue on what to get. Pila's or some of the cheaper ones being sold on CPF. Are Pila's safer or more reliable? What should I do?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You face several choices:
  • protected or unprotected--protected cells are far safer to charge and discharge, but they have less capacity and are less able to drive high-drain lamps in a given cell size.
  • A-type or S-type: This refers to the diameter:
    • A-type cells are about 18mm wide; they hold about 35 to percent more than S-type cells but require a wider-diameter body, such as the bodies made by Wolf Eyes, Pila, Microfire, and a few specialty (premium) LED lights.

S-type cells are 16 or 17mm wide; they hold less energy and are less able to drive high-current lamps, but they fit just about everything.
  • Pila-made or a clone. I had thought that the protected clones were just as good, maybe better because of their (sometimes) higher capacity. But in another thread, I was corrected by a CPF member who stated that Pila-brand cells use a different protection mechanism that allows them to power high-current xenon lamps that clones cannot.
  • tab or button--Make sure you get cells that have a button on the positive end. If you get the "flat" kind, you'll need to affix a small magnet before the cell is long enough to use in a flashlight.