ArmyTek
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPY005 machining status & style updates

Default SPY005 machining status & style updates

This is an update on the progress of the SPY005 project. Other CPF threads on the SPY can be found here.

*** NEW image ***

The machining of the first few prototypes of the SPY005 body is complete. I am on schedule and have started work on the bezel assembly. The knob is being done by another shop and should be complete next week. The last piece to be made will be the end cap.

The machining of the body is the most time consuming and costly of all the parts. It was done first so I could gauge the progress of the entire project. If you are into machining and want to know more about the setups I will go into more detail. Here is a little quantitative information on the machining of the body.
    • Programming and setup took over 100 hours.
    • There were three milling machine setups. Machining from battery end, then from bezel end and finally the rotary table was used to machine the sides (shown below).
    • Total machining time to complete one body is 70 minutes (it will drop as the process is optimized).
    • Total number of tools used in the mill is 26.
    • Total number of job steps programmed in CAM software was 70.
    • Total number of fixtures designed and machined was 3 (one can be seen on the rotary table below) it needed accuracy to 0.001” to align properly.
    • Total number of cans of Coke consumed was not counted.
    These pictures show what the body of the flashlight will look like. No more machining or finishing work is needed. The Aluminum 6061 T6 material will be hard anodized with the HAIII natural color. As most people know it is a dark flat gray finish that changes the look of a piece of machined aluminum considerably. It will not be shiny as in the pictures below.

The last two pictures show one of the fixtures used to hold the part during machining. The inside of the body has a ledge machined in it that the “T” bolt slides into.

I am working or a video I took of the last step of the machining when the rotary table was running. Check back later for that.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Data; 10-18-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling, new picture, links

Default Re: SPY005 machining status

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Dave,

The photos and the prototype unit are stunning !!!

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

... very very nice body!
    ... and very nice pictures too!

Flashaholic*

Very impressive.

Simply Awesome!
    Spy005; Draco; MRBulk LionCub/150, LionCub/168/LionHead, LionHeart, Chameleon; HDS EDC U60/18650; CR2 Ion; SureFire: U2/18650,TW4-R/McE2S,L4/McE2S,L2,6P,9P; Chop ExEMod/BB400/TWOJ/FB1, ExEMod/POP2/TYAH/FB1; McLux PD; MilkySpit KL1/700ma/FB2, Arc LS/700ma/2S, Q3 "mom"/DB1400/UX1L/2S, Q3/NG1K/TWOJ/2S; Orb U-RAW/2S; Lambda Tiny Illum, MJLED, PR2; Ginseng Polaris; Mag 85,74,2C/GH24; EL Tesla-6,Little Friend; Fire~Fly II/Refl; Jil RevUp,1.3Up; Vortex KC1; Peak CPF Special,Caribbean; pending Nano

That is just impressive as all heck!!!

Oh yeah..........

Last edited by McGizmo; 09-09-2005 at 04:10 PM.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Excessively cool machinig !!!
    Really looking forward to this light in my greedy hands ...
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Dang! in my excitement, I for got:

Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

*Flashaholic*

That's awsome, Dave!

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

I can't believe that I havent seen this light in your previous thread.... I totally missed it somehow. How much is one of those?
    Very very nice, I like that it is so different then all the other lights out there...

more more more!

please, a little more info on the machines used?

i do setup, programming, operating, etc on mazak lathes. so it's really interesting to see how others do things.

awesome work!
    Go not to the Flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that.

Wow.

I have to admit, I was skeptical when I first saw the renders and heard that you were going to machine a design that's more of an injection-molded looking shape.

Very nice. Good to see a design called impractical making its way to reality and practicality.

What percentage becomes chips? I have to know
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Thank you everybody for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess
    Wow.

What percentage becomes chips? I have to know

LOL, the block of 1x2x2.7" 6061 weighs 241g (~1/2 lb) and the completed body weighs 29.5g. But you know that is nothing compared to the wheels on the mars rover. If memory serves, they machined away over 99% of the metal. See this NASA link for more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothrandir
    more more more!

please, a little more info on the machines used?

i do setup, programming, operating, etc on mazak lathes. so it's really interesting to see how others do things.

awesome work!
    My mill is a Milltronics VM-15 with a 20 tool changer. That is a vertical machining center. I have it set up with lots of ram and an Ethernet connection to my CAD/CAM workstation. On the workstation I use Autodesk Inventor rel 10 for design work. It is so nice to work with solid models. The CAM software is from a European company called Open Mind. They are one of the few who make software that runs inside inventor (simple words that mean a lot).

I do not have a lathe. The lathe work on the SPY is being done by my partners shop. I think few people understand how different lathe and mill work really is. For a layman perspective the comparison is; with a lathe the stock turns and the cutter stays still. For the mill it is the opposite.

The mazak lathes are some of the best. What kind of parts do you make? Do you do the programming in the machine tool itself? Programming can be done inside my mill too but I seldom use it.

Cheers
    Dave

Flashaholic*

Wow, now that's innovation and creativity in the making!!

Enlightened

Thumbs up Re: SPY005 machining status

Very impressive machining!
    You're making me wish I had a 4th axis on my CNC.

The new dawn of flashlights is just around the corner!

-Ross

Edit: Holy crap, the Milltronics VM-15 is one hell of a machine.
    Makes my little MaxNC 15 look like a toy
    Last edited by Rossitron; 09-10-2005 at 08:53 AM.

It's really nice to see new designs. Yours and the 'Gatling' design have given us all something new to look and think about.

Your machining process is very intricate. Just don't price the finished product too low and get frustrated. The very best of luck and good fortune with it in the future.
    David............................................. "A few of my Home Built lights"

Quote Originally Posted by Data
    LOL, the block of 1x2x2.7" 6061 weighs 241g (~1/2 lb) and the completed body weighs 29.5g. But you know that is nothing compared to the wheels on the mars rover. If memory serves, they machined away over 99% of the metal. See this NASA link for more detail.
    Just under 88%. Beats paying an astronomical sum for the tooling to mold or cast it somehow...

Those rover wheels are mighty impressive. It pains me to think how much they cost each, or how many prototypes are sitting around on desks...
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I like the look in metal a lot better than I do in plastic. And yeah, i's amazing how much cheaper it can be to just mill away rather than mold something... and you can always reuse the metal.

Flashaholic*

I am extremely interested in this light, how much does it go for? Are there more available, or is the list full?

ah, that explains why the knob is being made elsewhere

i've made hundreds of different parts, mostly for larger industrial companies. most of the parts are called something like "sleeve, anglebody, connection, spindle, adapter, diaphram, bonnet, etc etc etc" basically just a bunch of parts for larger machines or mechanisms.

all programming is done on the lathes themselves, but we store programs onto a laptop, which uploads the programs onto a different machine if we run the part there next time.

so where are those videos now?
    Go not to the Flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that.

Flashaholic

Thumbs up Re: SPY005 machining status

One question Where is the sign up list
    LL123, NLS, KI-LE, KI-T-CR, MC38-V, Raw CR2 Ti, TNC N, Mclux PD III, SF M6, SF A2-HA-RD, SF E2E,SF E1E, SF 6P, SF G2, Aspherilux 125, Lionheart, Lion Cub, EternaLight Marine, Peak AAA, ARC AAA, X1, Jil DD, More Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by dbedit
    One question Where is the sign up list
    Second that !
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I'm in!

Great looking light! So where do we sign up?

I am excited about this light too and am very happy with how it is coming together. I thank all of you for your invaluable input on the design. Please hang in there guys it is getting close to completion.

I am not accepting payments nor is there a sign-up yet. I want everybody to see the reviews first. The estimated price for the light is still $345. My machining estimates are so far turning out to be accurate but there is much more than just machining that goes into a light.

I am still working on the schedule with Wayne, my partner machine shop and a hole string of suppliers. I will have it firmed up very soon and will post the rough outline of it then. Needless to say I have to get the first prototypes completed very soon so I can start the run of pre-production prototypes. A few of the pre-production prototypes will be sent to the beta testers/reviewers. Once the reviewers have had a chance to report on the light then I will post the sign-up thread here on CPF.

I will let everybody know in advance before I post the sign-up thread. At the sign-up time I will accept a down payment.

Back to the machining . . . Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, its off . . .

Cheers
    Dave

Very cool way of organizing everything!
    Will the numbers be limited?
    And will it be available in red ano?
    bernie
    - paulr

Flashaholic*

Hey Dave,

Very nice work so far - it's amazing to see such a complex design make its way into fruition, and in metal to boot! I'd offer you good luck, but it's certainly evident you don't need any of that so far.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Please keep the pictures coming - I like most CPF members here have a continual lust for progress shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling
    And will it be available in red ano?
    Bernie: You really like that color, don't you?

-Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour
    Hey Dave,

Very nice work so far - it's amazing to see such a complex design make its way into fruition, and in metal to boot! I'd offer you good luck, but it's certainly evident you don't need any of that so far.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Please keep the pictures coming - I like most CPF members here have a continual lust for progress shots.

Bernie: You really like that color, don't you?

-Enrique
    Argh ... if I had known you would read that thread I'd have kept my mouth shut
    bernie
    - paulr