Which laser???

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I want to see the beam at night, pretty dark with ambient light. I want to point out star constellations for my Meade telescope.

Do you think 45mW is enough or should i go all out and get the 55 or 95mW?

I would like to keep the price around $200-300.

BTW I'm in the B/S/T forum. I want to trade a barley used SF imaculate M3 for a bright green laser.

-PSM

EGP

Newly Enlightened
My 25mW would do that easily; very visible beam outdoors at night.

Certainly don't think you'd have to go above 45mW for your purpose; it should be more than enough.

Cheers,
Erling

Changots

Newly Enlightened
my 20mW from www.abeland1.com can bte seen rediculously well at night, even from the side. Arnold will treat you very very well and give you an awesome deal for being a part of this forum. $87 shipped to be exact. for a >20mW pointer that is pretty darn good.

lilox

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Is your 20mW still labeled >5 mW ?
I need to know that because of the customers.

:thanks: to everybody for this forum, really good.

nero_design

Enlightened
I use a 45mW for Starpointing myself but ideally, anything around the 30mW range is probably the top level of output you would want to be using. The minimum "ideal" output for doing "startours" with small groups of people in regards to 532nm (green) lasers is around <20mW.

You can actually use lower powered lasers from <5mW upwards although the beam on the lower end of the scale is really visible to just yourself and perhaps the people standing beside you - unless you are have some atmospheric particles that will enhance the beam. Living near the ocean will therefore require a less powerful laser since the beam will be more visible in the salt-laden air. As you get closer to 10mW the beam is more visible to those a few feet away than a lesser output. For larger groups of people, the beam from a 10mW is surpassed by <30mW. I don't think it's necessary to exceed <30mW for Starpointing.

Most astronomical suppliers were suggesting <20mW about this time last year. I think one of the models was called the "Starfinger II" although it's possible that the website had a typo and it was in fact called a "Starfinder II". That particular model came with two ring-clamps and a mounting bar which was designed to allow the device to clamp the laser to the actual body of the scope. The ring clamps were to allow small adjustments to the beam direction. For simple handheld starpointing, a typical "pointer switch" (which only remains on whilst the switch is depressed) is best. For mounting to a telescope, you might want a selective on/off switch that will remain on or off depending on the switch setting.

H

HZDavid

We have this >10mW laser pens and
>45mW laser pointer,it is enough to bright at night,

Databyter

Enlightened
I don't want to write another longwinded response, but would refer you to the "So how much power do you need for Astronomy " post a bit lower in the lasers forum.

Personally I do Astronomy in very high very dry (high desert peak) areas so Arnold set me up with the CPF special and customized the specs to my needs.
The CPF special is right in the range of what you want and it's a great deal.

I'm sure some of the other outfits are ok too but I can only speak about Abeland1. After that level of service and quality I feel no need to compare.
Tell him what you need and he'll take care of you. He also has some remote cables etc..