How much light produces...

Swiss

Newly Enlightened
...the flashlight of my NOKIA K750i? ...an average headlight of a car?

I'm just starting to get into this whole flashlight business and with that start to wonder, how much lumens other lights produce. any ideas? would be interesting to know and use as a comparison when explaining to someone, how much light some of these cool surefires & co. produce.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had trouble understanding how a 5 or 10-watt flashlight can "seem" to produce as much light as a 60-watt lightbulb, even when one takesangle of coverage into account.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Brightness" (or candlepower) and overall light output (lumens) are very different animals. Neither by itself is IMO very usefull for determining how a light will, well light up an area. Brightness is determined by how much of that light is focused into a small area. Take a naked light bulb, say that 60 watt. Doesn't light up much really. Put it into a lamp with a reflector. Now it's brighter, but in a smaller area. With a flashlight bulb, most all the light that is produced is focused into a pretty small area. If I take the reflector off my MagCharger, it barely lights up anything, but with that refletor on, it can throw a beam a hundred meters.
Imagine what the beam would throw like if somebody made a desk lamp reflector the way a flashlight is made. That would be a very cheap and bright 110 volt spotlight. That would be freaking awesome.