Nuwai TM-317X - Great Nightlight/Candle

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light:

http://store.advancedmart.com/nu5waposiled2.html

has been out for quite awhile now. It's a nice, solid light in a single AA form factor, and I like the hi/low function.

The reason for the post is this: After trying different battery chemistries, I figured lithiums would supply the highest constant current and therefore make the light brightest and with the flatest/longest discharge curve. And so it does. BUT, trying this light on a Nimh cell showed me something. You really don't see an enormous brightness difference between batteries, as it's only one cell and the difference is a small fraction of one volt. But the nimh draws only 110ma on high, and 50ma on low. That, to me, is astounding. At 50ma, this light is not only supplying current to the boost circuit, but it's also getting enough to the led to create a pretty respectable amount of light; more than any other single 5mm led I've seen, for sure! Single led/single cell lights (ala Arc AAA) draw far, far more current than that to boost up to where the led can be driven.

So, on low using an Energizer 2500, you can expect around...45+ hours of constant output runtime!! Is there anything else like this? Even on high, a solid 20+ hours can be had PER CHARGE. Am I nuts, or is this unusual? I've been using mine as a nightstand light standing on end in candlemode, leaving it on till around 2AM or so (to facilitate getting to the bathroom and not killing myself on my baby daughter's toy minefield). Well, it just keeps on going for days and days this way. Has anyone else noticed this light's properties? Do the other .5W Nuwais have similar current draws using a nimh?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TM-313X. Cool little light. I wish it threw a whiter light than it does now. I'll have to mod it I guess.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had another CPFer confirm my current readings using this light on a nimh AA, so my runtime predictions will be near correct.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and I like it. It's brighter than my similar TM-313 but I think that's just the LED lottery. I always wondered about Craig's review where he found the current draw on the low setting to be only a little less than the high setting, despite the much lower output. Your reading is much more what I would expect and makes the 2 power feature much more desirable.

A very handy light.

vic303

Enlightened
Sounds interesting. I have a couple Nuwai's already--2 of the 1W Lux headlamps and a QIII. I'd just have to justify one to my better half--I've already got a Brunton lantern, CMG Ultra Inf, and 3 Tool Logic traclites...

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Do you have a comparison picture of it with RR 2AAA? Are they using the same diameter battery tube and bored it out to accept AA? At least then it will explain the fatter battery tube on 2AAA model.

I waiting for Target to carry 1xAAA, 0.5W, Arc sized $9.99 version :)

- Vikas