Replace hinge for Nuwai HLX-712L Luxeon 1?

rick88

Newly Enlightened
I purchase a Nuwai HLX-712L Luxeon 1 from Eliteled for a 1 week camping trip. http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashlights/HLX712L.html
nuwai_hlx712l_head.jpg

It worked great for the 1st 4 days, but then the hinge failed. I tend to tilt the lamp up for distance & down for close up work. On the 4th night, i was tilting the lamp up, but the plastic hinge loops cracked & parts of it fell out.

The lamp is reviewed here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_hlx-712l.htm, with picture of the hinge here
nuwai_hlx712l_apart.jpg

I really like the light output & its 3 levels of brightness. I'm thinking of looking for a plastic hinge or something to epoxy to the back of the lamp and front of the headband piece. Does anyone know where to get a hinge like that? Thanks.

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that things slip very quickly in the Headlamp forum, but here's a bump because i'm strongly thinking of getting this, and would like to know in advance how to solve the issue if i need to.

In the meantime, have you tried getting a replacement from them? According to their site, "Your satisfaction on every purchase is very important to us. You can return the item within 15 days for a full refund or exchange."

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately it was past the 15 day period. I think the hinge design can definately be a drawback - the black loops are just too small for the weight of the lamp. Here's a pic of the Princeton Tec EOS, with a similar hinge design - notice the outside loops are much wider than in the Nuwai:
princetontec_eos_battbox.jpg

The Petzl Tikka XP has a totally different design that pivots close to the middle of the light, placing less torque on the hinges:
petzl_tikka_xp_002.jpg

I've asked Gary at Eliteled to notify Nuwai about the possible weak hinge problem. I'm thinking of just attaching mine to a large plastic clip and use it as a clip light and buying the EOS or Tikka XP for my next trip.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. It's such a nice headlamp. (smirk) You just have to be careful not to use it too much.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Sorry to hear that. I've been using mine a lot, and haven't had that problem. Maybe I just got lucky or you got a defective light? It seems like the hinges are the weak point on almost all the headlamps I've tried. The one on the PT MyoXP seems good, it centers the pivot on the light, so the pivot can be much stronger.

Aside from that, the only other problem I have with this light is there's no switch guard, so the light can be turned on accidentally.

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think this is the best light when it comes to beam and electronics but those dang hinges are what keep me from it...

i wish they designed their headlamp similar to the Streamlight Argo HP.. where the battery cover is just a tube that is o-ring sealed...

also, it seems that all of Nuwai's new headlamps really suck... nothing comared to the HLX-712L... i don't even see that model on their site... really wish they would just change the way that batteries installed...

come on surefire! we want sub. 3.5oz headlamp that is water resistant to your typical spec... =D

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Couldn't find a replacement hinge, so ended up using cable ties to tie it to a clip from a clip light. Works OK for that purpose. I'm using it as a glove box light now. I guess I just got unlucky with the hinge.