Nuwai Q3 Changes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had black ones for many months. Really like them, so I ordered more now that there are decent prices on them again.

Did they switch to momentary switch? Two of the three QIIIs I got today have momentary on/off. I like this change.

Other comments, the titanium and green colors are gorgeous!

Every Q3 I have now also has great tint, and top-notch beam quality.

If only they made a light like this with Surefire quality, Type 3 HA finish, and fully regulated I'd really be happy.

Nuwai quality is not bad, but seems to hover around average (or slightly above) my opinion says. I'm also concerned about several comments I've read in this board regarding the lack of heatsinking for the Q3.

Overall, what I hope is eventually made, if some company make a light the size of a Q3 (and simple, just one brightness setting), with Surefire quality, but with beam quality along the lines of a Q3....I really don't like the SF E1E + KL1 beam quality at all.

Just my 2 cents

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my black QIII for just about a month now and there are already scratches on the finish. Titanium coloured are cool. It would be nice if the switch are not reversed clicky.

357, are u sure its not a switch problem? So no more constant on with the new QIII?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Constant-on works fine.

But if you push it half-way, it also goes on as if in momentary mode. 2 of the 3 lights behave this way. As long as constant-on continues to work, and the switch works, I won't complain (if it is a switch problem).

I'm a fan of momentary mode.

How do you carry your black ones? I'm not seeing scratches in my black ones (even the one I carry daily), but I use exclusively the holster. I don't carry loose in a pocket.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was posted here a bit that apparently the electronics have changed as well. I wonder if that will result in longer burn time?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy wrote: "It was posted here a bit that apparently the electronics have changed as well. I wonder if that will result in longer burn time?"

That thread Nuwai Q3 has changed driver boards! (post #8) noted that the new circuit Q3 now draws 1,000mA
compared to the older regular Q3 which drew about 700mA.

So it would seem that the new Q3 runtime is likely to be noticably shorter (by about 42%?)

Also checkout Post #13 of this thread - Concept Behind Reverse Clicky
which explains how the new Q3 "tactical" clickie switch works -
it doesn't sound that good to me.... are the others like that?

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
357 said:
Overall, what I hope is eventually made, if some company make a light the size of a Q3 (and simple, just one brightness setting), with Surefire quality, but with beam quality along the lines of a Q3....I really don't like the SF E1E + KL1 beam quality at all.

Just my 2 cents

They do. It's called the Fenix L1P and the only difference is its a little smaller and uses an exotic battery called a AA ;)

Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but the quality definitly trumps Nuwai. The fact that the light is HA, smaller in every dimension (shorter too), tail stands without modding, has longer runtime on a mere AA (with comparable brightness, at least to my eyes), and has a flawless beam means that my QIII is doing shelf duty.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix sounds interesting....is it production made?

Do you have the URL?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
357 wrote: "The Fenix sounds interesting....is it production made?
Do you have the URL?"

There's a Group Buy only open until midnight tomorrow Sept/15....
only the Fenix L1P v.2.5 (premium model) is now available at $38 shipped -

GROUPB: Fenix L1 and L1P - $28 / $38 SHIPPED (3) (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 )

read specifically about the updated v2.5 HERE

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Yup, its made in China- but I can vouch for it being the best quality Chinese light I've ever seen. These folks are serious. Note, though, that at the moment its reverse clicky only, so just a warning if you really hate those. Check out the group buy which 4sevens so generously reopened:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91435

Price is right.

Not crazy about it being made in China, but for that price its worth a gamble.

Unfortunately, most Chinese lights I've owned have been junk my opinion says, including the SL Lux Jrs and E-L's.

China does do a decent job with Longbows and Nuwais my opinion says, and the Fenix looks well made in the picture. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a shill for the company or 4sevens or anything, but if you get it, you won't be dissapointed, my opinion says :D.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
357 said:
Constant-on works fine.

But if you push it half-way, it also goes on as if in momentary mode. 2 of the 3 lights behave this way. As long as constant-on continues to work, and the switch works, I won't complain (if it is a switch problem).

I'm a fan of momentary mode.

How do you carry your black ones? I'm not seeing scratches in my black ones (even the one I carry daily), but I use exclusively the holster. I don't carry loose in a pocket.
I m carrying it it the holster provided and dump it in my bag together with a couple spare batt pens and keys. The finish scratches easily. Try rubbing the knurling part with a coin*MAGIC!* :p

Did nuwai changed the QIII to standard clicky like that on SF E1L?
Wow! if it does i ll get two more QIII.

Flashlight Enthusiast
^that is what I try to determine. if the new switches are momentary, or if it is the fluke if the new switches is momentary then i agree i will likely get more too. these are very decent lights for the price!

oh and regarding carry, i carry muzzle down so that the lens does not get lent on it, which can scratch plastic easier. ive always preferred muzzle down carry on lights when possible but most lights not allow this carry due to holster design.

Last edited:

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but the quality definitly trumps Nuwai. The fact that the light is HA, smaller in every dimension (shorter too), tail stands without modding, has longer runtime on a mere AA QUOTE]

A neat trick that i discovered to make QIII stand on tail cap is to keep it on the holster provided with the QIII head facing up, tuck in the flap of the holster in between. It will be stable to put it Heads up now!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
357 wrote: "that is what I try to determine. if the new switches are momentary, or if it is the fluke if the new switches is momentary then i agree i will likely get more too."

I posted this about the clicky above - checkout Post #13 of this thread - Concept Behind Reverse Clicky
which explains how the new Q3 "tactical" clicky switch works -

QUOTE - Ray_of_Light wrote: "In the reality, Nuwai has "modified" the reverse clickie. It is still a reverse clickie as it is mechanically built, but has an ADDITIONAL leaf contact inside, that closes when you start pushing in the switch. So you have:
PUSH - ON - CLICK - OFF - ON AGAIN. The same happens when you do the opposite cycle, with the result that if you turn the Q3 on and off rapidly, it looks like a strobe light. I felt fooled."

it doesn't sound that good to me.... are yours like that?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

I looks like the mystery has been explained! I would hate the 'strobe' effect from clicking fast. That would also throw a kink the POP and FLuPIC kind of circuits. I think the reverse clickly worked very well.

*P.S: I have some old Q3 stock reverse clickly switches for sale still...

USARSHOE

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Q3 in the mail today and I feel that it is great little light for the money. My only complaint in the quality of the holster, I can see it wearing out in a short period of time with EDC. Has anyone found another holster on the market that fits the Q3 well and is more durable than the original?

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found a site with these cool little lights. ( Lighthound )
They look awesome!!!

Flashlight Enthusiast
SimplyJ said:
Well there is the SureFire E1L Outdoorsman:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24263/sesent/00

3X the quality for 3X the price!

Have them, or equivalant. Mine are E1E + KL1 Rev 4 (with the TIR optics). Beam quality sucks my opinion says, due to the optics.

Tint sucks too, as they are rainbow colored (many bands and rings are different tints).

Build quality is outstanding as is all SF, but the beam quality gets an "F" in my book.

If Surefire makes the Outdoorsman or E1E + KL1 with reflector, I'll buy. Until then, its NOT an option. I rarely use the ones I have.