TWOJ vs TWOH

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
What would be the difference between the two if using the same driver board? Runtime, tint, brightness, etc?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not an engineer but I can give a layman's answer. The tint should be the same (barring the light is not very underdriven) since they are the same bin (WO). The other 2 parameters (runtime and brightness) depend on what the driver board is driving them at. Generally speaking, the TWOH is likely to be brighter at a given safe voltage since it takes less voltage to reach its peak. By the time you are up to the TWOJ peak brightness, you might be risking the life of the TWOH.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the same driver board, the TWOH should run longer due to it's lower voltage requirement. All other factors are not affected apart from the individual led's properties.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Gonzo,

I am no EE person either, but only have some experience with different boards popularly used for driving the lux.

Given it is a constant current boost or buck board, the regulated runtime for TxxH will be longer than the TxxJ, but the brightness will basically be the same since they are both under the same lumen category (T) and current is the same.

For ex, a BBNG(constant current boost board) with TW0J and TW0H, they will have approximately the same brightness, but TxxH generally will have approximately 15-20 minutes longer runtime than the TxxJ(from my experience).

Another ex will be the Downboy(constant current buck board), it will go into DD mode once the battery voltage is the same as the lux Vf. So naturally, it will take longer time to drain the battery to the lower Vf of TxxH than the TxxJ.

Hope this helps. :)

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Gonzo,

The TxxH bin is [statistically] 10% more efficient than the TxxJ bin - the statistics only being valid if you purchase large numbers of LEDs. Notice there is a 67% overlap between the two bin codes. If you purchase a single TxxH LED you only have a 33% chance of getting a better LED. Of course, if you purchase a TxxJ, you have a 33% chance of getting a crummier LED - i.e., an LED outside the overlap area, which will always be crummier than a TxxH.

The TxxH bin will [statistically] allow you to get the same light at 700mA (Luxeon III) for 10% less power. Less power translates into longer runtimes. [Statistically], your runtime will improve by a minimum of 10% - but due to battery and power supply losses (I squared R mostly), the reduced power will generally result is greater than 10% increases in runtime at rated power.

Both LEDs have the same tint bin code (W0) so there is no difference there.

Henry.

lamperich

Enlightened
errr.

i agree with henry

look at this

H 3.03 3.27
J 3.27 3.51

T bin is: 67.2 87.4 lumen

so if you get a "bad" one you get a nearly close efficient LED but with 25% less lumen.
and of course don´t forget the Vf Shift

so if i would build led flashlights i would call them

Standard

Pro (B/C or R) (B= Brightness C=Colorrendering and R= runtime)

and of course the "reference serie". (which is Best in Runtime Brightness and Colorrendering)

But there is already a manufactur that is doing that. just forgot the Name...
thinking.gif
smilie.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the others have said, the TWOH will allow for longer runtimes with a current regulated driver (BadBoy/DownBoy/Wizard family of boards, FatMan?, etc).

There are some other drivers out there like the MadMax+ and MadMax Lite and maybe the POP2 based boards(?) that basically regulate the power going to the LED. In this case the lower forward voltage of the TWOH means it will receive more current.

So, depending on how long you want your emitters to last :) Use a TWOJ with a MadMax+ but use a TWOH with current regulated drivers.

Jon

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Henry, while I have no argument that Lumaled's binning processes seem to need better/more frequent equipment calibration, what is your source for the 67% overlap figure? :thinking:

(And when will I be able to buy a TV0D? :D )

Larry

luxlover

Banned
tvodrd said:
Hey, if you can't take a joke... :D
Ah, Larry. So now you are looking for Luxeon emitter binning codes in your own image? That is nice. Speaking of Luxeons, any news on their K2 release sporting 60 lumens/watt?

Be good,
Jeff