U2 vs Gladius: opinions?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older threads discussing this are inaccessible, so that's why I'm posting it. Even the cached Google pages aren't all there.

I plan on getting one of these, so looking for opinions, esp those who have handled both. I've read all the usual product info.

I wouldn't be using it in a tactical environment, so the Gladius strobe feature (while interesting) is less important to me. The Gladius low output level is nice, as is the simple U2 ring selector.

Any comments about the pros/cons of each, esp from actual users?

TorchMan

Enlightened
I own both. I carry the U2 for work almost all the time now. Both are good lights, IMHO.

Beam: Gladius beam is tighter, but has a wider, albeit far dimmer sidespill. Their is some "star pattern" in the hotspot and a few minor artifacts, being only slightly darker. I rate it a good quality beam. It really throws well.

U2 Has an overall brighter sidespill, it's a wall of light. There is the donut to consider, and mine is slightly noticeable in real word use, but not bad.

Both the Gladius and U2 are extremely white tints, with a slight edge going to the Gladius on high. On the lower levels the U2 stays whiter, though both go slight green. YMMV.

Controls: The Gladius allows for a dimmer level, and more of them. The Gladius options are nice, modes and dynamic changes are pretty good.

The control ring of the U2 is simpler to operate, and more precise. You can change levels with the light off. Although the Gladius has more levels (100?) it's ratching up and down with one button controls is less precise, i.e. it's easy to go up or down too far compared to the U2 and it's ring. And as far as I know, you have to have the Gladius on to change levels.

Ergonomics: Gladius is better balanced and feels better in hand, over or under. U2 is not bad mind you, but seems front heavy. The Gladius feels like an extention of the hand.

Durability: I've some concern over the Gladius tailcap, especially now that I've heard of it breaking in lock out mode when dropped, and that's the way I carry. U2 seems rock solid, and although I would not want to drop either, I'd rather drop it than the Gladius. Warranty edge would also go to SureFire, but I think both are good ones. Gladius finish on my OD has not been an issue, but I baby it.

Price: Gladius might be had for a bit less, depending on where you get it. I rank them close though.

BTW, having been strobed by the Gladius from 15 feet away, in house with curtains drawn in the daytime, I can attest to it's disorienting effect. Intense!

In short, the warranty, simplicity and wider beam make the U2 a better work light for me. I'm not sorry about purchasing either, but the U2 refuses to stay home.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
both are nice lights.

they really are different lights. U2 is a five watt and puts out way more overall lumens than Gladius. actual output will depend upon luxeon lottery. based purely on seat of the pants methods. would estimate U2 at 100+ lumens and Gladius at 60+ lumens.

Gladius uses a three watt and will out-throw U2 with a much smaller hotspot.

user interface preference depends upon user. some will like U2's controls better, other will prefer Gladius.

U2's overall quality seems to be slightly higher than Gladius due choice of coating. HA on U2 is tuffer than coating on Gladius. rumour has it that Gladius is switching to HA soon. but I could be wrong.

Written warranty is better on Surefire which has lifetime transferable rights. VS pretty short warranty on electronics for Gladius that's non-tranferable. lifetime on body and luxeon which almost never goes out. no question this helps U2 on resale value.

in actual practice Ken Good and co has been giving world class service on any real warranty issues. Gladius tailswitch when placed in lockout mode will break if dropped. that will be remedied soon.

for some Strobe feature of Gladius is a real advantage! shine strobe in dark at your self and you will be disoriented. some will be effected more than other. gives me a splitting headache. does exactly what it's suppose to.

for tactical gloves on operation, both U2 and Gladius have excellent user interfaces. with Gladius having the edge.

Gladius tailswitch allows water to enter tailcap VS U2's sealed unit. looseness of design also is reason why switch is more tactile than U2.

early U2's also had some tailswitch failures, which surefire promptly corrected.

be forwarned Gladius' tailcap only fits on one way. tail has to fit into a tiny slot. some users have broken their tailcap in proccess of figuring this out. Once you're aware slot is there, putting tailcap is easy as pie.

only possible solution is to get both, Gladius wins on nice box :D

both are world-class lights!

u2 gladius.JPG

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
HA on U2 is tuffer than coating on Gladius. rumour has it that Gladius is switching to HA soon. but I could be wrong. [/img]

Ken Good stated somewhere that they are going to HAIII, so you are right.

Good analysis as always, Cy. I have the Gladius and am on the U2 passaround list, so I may end up with one of those as well.

best regards

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap of the Gladius is supposed to allow water in but not to the batteries or electronics (which is located in the bezel of the light). Suppose to be waterproof to 50 meters. The tailcap activates the modes with a magnet located in the switching mechanism.

I've seen the inside of the switch and I can tell you that no water is going to get past the tailcap.

Jeff

fleegs

Enlightened
what everyone else said plus-

Gladius-
- tailcap rattles

- the dimming feature was too slow for me (if you want to go low, then lower it takes about 3-5 seconds because you have to go brighter then release then go dimmer)

- I could not use the strobe, it got me sick when I walked around my dark backyard using it.

- really useful beam indoors

U2-
- better lockout (IMO)

- doughnut hole in beam (reiterate) which sometimes causes me to think I saw something when I didn't

rob

pelks

Newly Enlightened
I dont know much about the Gladius but I have a U2 and use it regularly when I go hunting, and the sidespill on the U2 is excellent.
Dimming function is also quick and precise without any fuss and can be set when off.
Price can be a little offputting for the U2, but in my opinion it's worth it.