A Tale Of 2 Heads. (KL1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 KL1 heads, and I am looking for input, and thoughts.
Both are generation 4.

1.KL1-HA-WH Serial #A20364. Has great throw, good white color, and rounded edges to the rectangular beam. Package says it is 3 Watt, and came in a clamshell package.

2.KL1-BK-WH Serial #A18743. Has a little less throw, color is not as white, and the beam is much more square without the rounded edges. Package was a sealed bag that says 1 Watt on the label, and the insert paper says 3 watt.

Here are the questions.

Are they 1 watt, or 3 watt?
Are they driven at 1 Watt, or 3 Watts?
What do you think could cause the difference?
1.Luxeon lottery.
2.Since the KL1-HA-WH is newer, R&D improvements.

I am not sure but I don't think anyone here has figured out how to crack these open without damage. Do you think Surefire could? If so do you think they would/could be so inclined to switch the internals for me?

The reason I ask is that I have a complete set of HA lights that I carry. I am looking to collect a complete black set just for the collection value. Not to be carried. Yeah I know the prevailing winds on this...it is a tool meant to be carried, not to be a shelf queen, but to each his own I guess. With the black surefires disappearing I figure that they should increase in value, and as with any collectors item you want the best you can get.

Thanks for any help on this.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Luxeon Lottory would account for the difference in tint, but it plays no part in the difference in beam shape. This is more likely down to the centering of the optics over the LED. I've found that the more tightly collimated optics are far more sensitive to centering than the old NX05 types.

As to 1 watt or 3, it is my understanding that the latest KL1 drives the Luxeon at 550ma, which would make it around 2 watts (assuming a LED vF of 3.5v).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.