Tekplate - LED emergency lights on light switches?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen these or tried them??
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p13866444?sourceid=3
http://www.smarthome.com/9270SSA.html

9270ssa-dec2.jpg

I can't seem to get the image to load. Hmm... got it!

"Replace your existing switch cover plate with this emergency power backup plate that turns the lights on if you lose power. Single Switch Cover Plate with Red LED Backup Lights * This model fits single toggle switches, single decora® switches and single decora® electrical outlets using enclosed hardware. * TekPlate provides automatic illumination during a power outage. * Patented Backup Lights are cleverly built into the wall switch cover plate and illuminates the entire room. * Provides more light than 90 minute Emergency Lights or even 3 hour Power Failure Lights -- up to 48 hours on each fresh set of batteries. * Simply replace the 4-AA batteries for enough light to last the entire blackout. * Install with only a screw driver - NO wiring required. * Amber LEDs are recommended for family rooms, hallways and stairways. * Red LED's are recommended for bedrooms where the subdued light is appreciated. * Great for homes, bed and breakfast inns, motels and more. * Low battery indicator and vacation test button means never finding the batteries dead when you need them, unlike power failure lights and emergency lights. * 100,000 hour life LED's * Patent #'s US5473517, US5713655 and US6010228 * ETL approved * FEAR NO BLACKOUT !!! * Century Innovations, Inc. TekPlate replaces ineffective emergency lights and power failure lights that burn out before you can use their light. 90 minutes is not enough. 48 hours is just about perfect."

They make them for light switch covers and for wall outlets. I am thinking of putting a few around my house. Maybe the hallway and by both doors. No telling. I'll wait and see what kind of "info" we have on them. :)

Jason

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taken from the second link:
http://www.smarthome.com/9270SSA.html

"Fast, Easy Set-Up
TekPlate Backup Light Switchplates replace the switch cover plates in your home. Because each unit runs on 4 AA batteries and contains a sensor('electrostatic sensors') that detects the loss of power, installation is fast and easy. There are absolutely no wires to connect. Batteries will power the TekPlate Back Light Switchplates for up to 48 hours at a time. A low-battery indicator will let you know when batteries need to be replaced. Batteries sold separately."
"electrostatic sensors" of some sort.

Last edited:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have amber or red, but I didn't see white. My guess, probably cheaper to use amber. But that is just a guess.

Last edited:

OddOne

Enlightened
Cheaper, and the Vf of the LEDs won't be nearly as high as it is for blue/white LEDs. White LEDs are still woefully inefficient compared to GaAs/GaAlAs LED tech (red/amber/yellow LEDs) in terms of lumens per watt, and in a backup-lighting application color rendition takes second place to uptime.

oO