Inova X1

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up an Inova X1 for $19. Does anyone else have one of these? And has it been modded?

X33

Enlightened
I got one. They are around. Bit of an aquired taste because of the tight shaped beam. Some mods have been done. Don't have any links, sadly.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had one for some time now. Still haven't figured out a good use, as it is rather specialized. You can get some flood out of it by putting tape or some other diffuser over the lens. Also, as someone long ago pointed out, just placing a finger in front of the lens can add some usability to the beam. I still consider its overall design almost a work of art.

Geoff

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
It would indeed be a SUPER WINNER with a flood beam!!

Any modders change out the LED for another? I imagine this light has some type of regulation.

wmpwi

Enlightened
If I could figure out the search on this system, I show you, but look for "freeze pop" It involves filling it with water freeze, repeat until the end comes all the way off. Sounds scary but it works.

There are good posts w/ pictures on it here but I can't find them.

nemul said:
how do you get the head off? pry or punch?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm, i've heard of that around here.... guess i'll try! wish me luck!

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks! i'm on my second freeze.. looking good so far! this baby is screaming for a Nichia CS

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the CS; Milkyspit has a luxeon mod that would SMOKE any 5mm LED. The best thing about it is that the "spot" is doubled in diameter, while still being throwy.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Forget the CS; Milkyspit has a luxeon mod that would SMOKE any 5mm LED. The best thing about it is that the "spot" is doubled in diameter, while still being throwy.
Where's milky and his write-up? :)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen him on the forums much lately; I'm not sure he ever did a write up- I saw the mod in person at his house at Photon Fest 3. Scott is a nice guy, I'm sure if you PM him he'd tell you about it.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
I haven't seen him on the forums much lately; I'm not sure he ever did a write up- I saw the mod in person at his house at Photon Fest 3. Scott is a nice guy, I'm sure if you PM him he'd tell you about it.
Thanks Solstice!

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I've been toying with the idea of putting a Luxeon I or Cree LED in my X1, along with a new circuit and everything. I just can't decide what would be best, and the thought of trying to work in that close space (especially since I've never modded a light before) is scary.

Maybe a LuxI with a boost circuit for AA, or DD with 14500... I mean, I dunno. I'm just throwing ideas around. I'd like to see Milkyspit's mod.

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I bought one yesterday at my local target. The quality on manufacture is great. The package allowed a test before buy option. I thought any flood was washed out because of the light in the store. I was a bit dissapointed to find there really was no real flood. Still I've had it on my belt for two days now, and it's a great size.
I would be interested in hearing if anyone can mod a flood beam to one. That's something I'd want to buy.

RowdyOne

Newly Enlightened
I have one and it is excellent for using backstage during a theater show. The tight beam excells when you have a need for some stealth. I have also used it to check on my boys. lights up the floor and all of the "booby traps" they left for me without a lot of spill to wake them up.

Flying Turtle said:
I've had one for some time now. Still haven't figured out a good use, as it is rather specialized. You can get some flood out of it by putting tape or some other diffuser over the lens. Also, as someone long ago pointed out, just placing a finger in front of the lens can add some usability to the beam. I still consider its overall design almost a work of art.

Geoff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geddinight said:
...I've had it on my belt for two days now, and it's a great size.
A word of caution on that. Friend of mine had his one on his belt and lost it. Once the little sheath is used a while, it can get loose and the smooth profile of the X1 makes it liable to slip out.

I use my X1 sheaths to hold the Nuwai/RR 0.5W 2xAAA lights. The size is right and the contours of the Nuwai/RR make it much more sticky in the sheath so it takes a distinct effort to insert or withdraw it, with attendant better security.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is just right as is. It is a great light when working around others, because of no sidespill. I particularly like my green version, which was discontinued from the factory. I need to get another. Next step is to mod one with a red 5mm led for a nice red spot.

Glow paint inside the bezel is an awesome way to personalize your X1. My green X1 has red glow paint and looks like the terminator's eye when off. Sweet!

If anyone wants to sell theirs, pm me.