mag charger or ultra stinger?

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
hello,

my name is eddie and im brand new to this message board. I was pretty astonished when i came onto this board and realized that i was a "flashaholic" still in the closet. lol

I think it started with boy scouts. i was always the kid with the best flashlights.

then i became an EMT and we all know emergency services needs a good light

then i got my pilots license and had some fun playing with red lenses.

now, my most recent job (temporary thing, i hope) is delivering pizza, and i need to find addreses's.. lol

well, ive had a number of lights over the years, most of them being maglites..

everything from the aaa solitare to the 6 d

my more recent aquisitions include a sure fire 6p, and two g2's

ive also had a limited experiance with streamlight. i had a 3 a twin task that "got lost on the parkway" and a stylus 3 aaaa penlight that works great.

im thinking about a bigger rechargable light similar in size to a 3d.

ive pretty much narrowed it down to a mag charger or an ultra stinger.

ive read up breifly on the inefficency of the candle power system when comparing two different lights.

i see that mag has updated their website and has a 40,000 cp/195 lumens rating on their bulb.

streamlight doesnt list their lumens, but says 75,000 cp

i know both of these companies produce quality products so im kinda at a loss as to which is better, i need the best all around.. ie;can take a beating, still shine brightly

what are your opionions on the two?

thanks!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Eddie,

Welcome to CPF.

Both of those lights should work well for what you are doing. Another light to consider is the TigerLight.

There is an option to improve the MagCharger by a simple lamp change. You loose some run time, but it ends up brighter.

Good luck.

Tom

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can pick either one and be fine. I have an Ultrastinger. Plenty of light, well made, backed by a major manufacturer. Nothing not to like. So just close your eyes and pick one. :)

f7c515ef.jpg

Top to bottom: Ultrastinger, Stinger, Polystinger, and Baby Strion.

best regards

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are quality lights, however, I prefer the US due to it's smaller size.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The SL Stingers and Strion are excellent lights, as is the Mag charger, however, the Stingers (XL and Strion excepted) don't have an easy to find switch. In a panic situation or with gloves it is often difficult to find the switch, which is (IMHO) a real draw back. The Strion is very good for the money and being small is easily carried. Some CPF'rs have described the Strion in less favourable terms but in general it seems fairly popular.
The Mag Charger is really great but is rather too heavy and bulky to be carried regularly. If this doesn't bother you then it is IMHO probably the better deal.

Doug

Geddinight

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights. Both are durable as they have each hit the ground plenty.
If you are needing them for looking at addresses while delivering pizza, I would go with the Ultra Stinger as it may be a little easier to operate while you are driving. I've used both for getting a house number and the Magcharger is heavier and more of a handful.

oklalawman

Enlightened
There is another choice if you want light output. Get a Stinger Hp and put one of Fivemegas 168 lion conversions. It is as long as a UltraStinger but BLows it away with brighness. I have all of the above mentioned lights. The Five mega conversion is my favorite.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
hey, thanks for the replys!

unfortunatley, as im also a licensed emt, no personal protection devices can be carried, so the peper spray option on the tigerlight is out :-(

they dont list their specs on the bulb on their site, thats pretty hawt tho.. everytime ive been pulled over, i didnt realize that i might have had a peper spray canister in my face.. haha.

i definatley want something brighter then the 6p/g2 and with a drop in charger, so i guess ill just search around for the best deals on either the mag or the us.

oh, ive done a search on fivemega lion conversion, but didnt see any results. do you have a link for that?

thanks

makar

Enlightened
the tigerlight is also avaiable without pepperspray as tigerlight fbop (federal bureau of prison) and therefore the shoertest light discussed here.
It's main positive features are a nimh battery instead of nica, an optional intelligent charger, shock protected bulb...

randman

Banned
don't forget about elekrolumens. I love mine and they have boocou run time.

I have an ultra stinger. after a couple of years the battery is toast. seems like I am always recharging. heck of a wide light though.

Newly Enlightened
I'm partial to the magcharger. With a $5.00 bulb the output will blow away the others you mentioned at the sacrifice of run time. But it is probably bigger than what you need to have to read addresses. Any you mentioned would be fine. Uou can get a adaptor and battery for your 6P and use that as a rechargeable. But I'm partial to Surefire too. It seems like you just want to buy a new flashlight though. Nothing wrong with that. Buy whatever you think looks the best. Your choice will work.

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
ahha.. yeah.. i do want a new flashlight..

i did see the rechargeable pack for the 6p, but i didnt think it was a "drop-in" cradle. which could get kinda annoying.

the pizza thing is temporary i hope.. so the main purpose of the light would be using it on EMS calls. I have some pretty big pockets on my jumpsuit.. so i dont know if the 3d size would be all that much of a problem.

also in a last case scenario, i might need a personality adjuster.

of course, the 6p would be in another pocket for back up. i use that on calls as it tends to get bumped around alittle more then the g2 i currently use for finding addresses(which is stored nicely in my sunvisor, and fits into a back pocket if i need to walk in an apartment complex or something. . i used to have the p61 bulb, but the run time was really low, and the ONE time i loaned it to a co-worker, it came back with a bulb that was like.. disintegrated. he said he was flashing the light, and heard a pop. so idk if this is could be a warrenty or not. i trust the person, so i really dont think he abused the light.

the other yellow g2 is in my emergency medical kit in my trunk, and of course a trusty 3d mag on the side of my seat for the emgency personality tool and also, ive used it before to change tires. that mag is pretty special to me cuz it was one that was donated to the emergency personal at the WTC. I figured that it would be a better tribute to use it then to keep it in the package, because it looks just like any other mag and i doubt i could prove it was a wtc flashlight.

Newly Enlightened
Good point on the 6P rechargeable setup and lack of drop in charger. It can get annoying. I run mine usually with th P61 bulb and that is used up in 20 min. But the swap is quick. I need it on my belt at all times and couldn't have it in a drop in charger anyway. A stinger wouldn't work so I stay with my trusty SF.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do get a MC, You can put a 1160 bulb in it for $8 and it will be 10 times brighter than those other toys. Run time will be dimminished but if you are looking for far away address plates... might be useful to have 800 lumen light.

juancho

Enlightened
So, how many lumens the Ultra Stinger put out???

That 75.000 candlepowers could be because it have a bigger reflector that concentrate the light, but here we talk lumens all the time in comparison with others lights and I want to know HOW MANY LUMENS IT HAVE.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
NikolaTesla said:
If you do get a MC, You can put a 1160 bulb in it for $8 and it will be 10 times brighter than those other toys. Run time will be dimminished but if you are looking for far away address plates... might be useful to have 800 lumen light.

Is there a similar WA bulb upgrade for the Ultrastinger? If they make a plugin 6V 20W bulb it should be pretty impressive.

Mark

oklalawman

Enlightened
You can put an 1160 in an ultra stinger too. An 1160 puts out about 550
lumens not 800. On the ultra stinger I hear that it melts the lense in about 10 minutes of continuos usage.

Mark2

Enlightened
juancho said:
So, how many lumens the Ultra Stinger put out???

That 75.000 candlepowers could be because it have a bigger reflector that concentrate the light, but here we talk lumens all the time in comparison with others lights and I want to know HOW MANY LUMENS IT HAVE.

The Streamlight '05 catalogue says 295 lumens, but that figure might be a bit optimistic... ;-) It's probably more like ~200 lumens.

jacques

Newly Enlightened
oklalawman said:
You can put an 1160 in an ultra stinger too. An 1160 puts out about 550
lumens not 800. On the ultra stinger I hear that it melts the lense in about 10 minutes of continuos usage.

About the lense of the US, is there any glass lense avaiable to replace the stock one?