T1 or Q3

Gasguy

Newly Enlightened
I already have a Q3, a co-worker has offered to buy it for $30. I'm thinking of selling it to him and buying a Inova T1. I have been using the Q3 for a EDC it generally has worked quite well for just about everything. I am very curious obout the T1, and like the fact it is regulated, glass lens and HA111. The Q3 lens has a few scratches and the body is getting dinged up. If anyone has both and has EDC them and can compare it would be great.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a T1 but you can read review on flashlightsreview.com. Have you looked at Fenix L1P v2.5? The output is about the same as QIII, uses 1AA, peak run time 2 hr. It's not regulated but with NIMH it's as good as a regulated light. The group buy has just been closed, but you can contact 4sevens see if he has some extras.

jashhash

Enlightened
It's not regulated but with NIMH it's as good as a regulated light.

The T1 has a R bin LUX 1. It runs on a single AA which is 1.5 volts. Any Luxion Star will barely light up at 1.5 volts directly driven. This indicates there is voltage regulation or at least voltage boost circuitry in the T1.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Enlightened
Gasguy,
both of them are good lights!
I have them both and prefer the Q3 for EDC. In fact it`s modded with a TWOK
Lux III, direct drive, running on r123, using an IMS20 reflector and UCL. In this setup it`s brighter than the 1 Watt T1 and has similar throw with much better sidespill. If you don`t mind the scratches on the HA2 coated body, it`s
looking as a working tool has to look. I guess it`s not necessary to mod the LED just swap in the reflector, UCL and use rechargeables.
On the other hand the T1 is build like a tank, has better coating (HAIII ??), has good throw and is a reliable flashlight. I`m just missing some sidespill.
It`s longer than Q3 and can`t take rechargeables.
Keep your Q3 and buy an additional T1!!!!

Wolfgang

redduck

Newly Enlightened
jashhash said:
The Fenix has a R bin LUX 1. It runs on a single AA which is 1.5 volts. Any Luxion Star will barely light up at 1.5 volts directly driven. This indicates there is voltage regulation or at least voltage boost circuitry in the Fenix.

Yes it's boosted but not regulated.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. As others have said, the T1 is longer and has a beam designed for throw (using a TIROS optic instead of a reflector). While the QIII is undoubtedly more compact, the T1 does have a certain elegance that makes me prefer it. The shape just feels right in your hands and the finish is tough. It also has a much nicer "true" clicky switch that has momentary functionality. However, the T1 is not mod friendly and the beam takes a little getting used to (but its not nearly as bad as the X1- there is side spill and it's much brighter). If you are able to search the forums, there were several threads comparing these 2 lights back in the day.

As far as the Fenix goes, I'll second redduck's suggestion. Its got output comparable to a stock QIII, but on a AA cell (although it works best with e2 lithium AAs or NiMH). The finish is as tough as the T1. It can stand on its tail to light up a room (neither the QIII nor the T1 can do that without getting creative). The beam has an excellent balance of throw and spill. Best of all, its smaller in every dimension than both of these lights. Just note that its reverse clicky only (no momentary on).

If you still want to go with the T1 though, I doubt you will be dissapointed. Its a very well designed light; very pleasant to use. I used to EDC mine until I moved on to the Fenix :D.

Krit

Enlightened
I like QIII's beam shape. light is smooter than T1 but isn't give long throw as T1.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, I have EDC'd both, but now I carry the T1 everyday. Both are nice lights, but I prefer throw over flood. I tried to light up something one night, and the QIII just couldn't do it well. My T1?? No problem at all. The way I figure it, and it is just my opinion, I can reflect my T1 to get some flood, if needed. I can't focus my QIII to get throw. Like I said, that is my logic. :)
I also carry an Infinity Ultra, so if I need so "flood" I have it available. The QIII is in my glove box, strapped to a knife.
I have ordered a Fenix L1P, and that might replace my T1. We'll see. :)

Last edited:

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blades said:
I have both, I have EDC'd both, but now I carry the T1 everyday. Both are nice lights, but I prefer throw over flood. I tried to light up something one night, and the QIII just couldn't do it well. My T1?? No problem at all. The way I figure it, and it is just my opinion, I can reflect my T1 to get some flood, if needed. I can't focus my QIII to get throw. Like I said, that is my logic. :)
I also carry an Infinity Ultra, so if I need so "flood" I have it available. The QIII is in my glove box, strapped to a knife.
I have ordered a Fenix L1P, and that might replace my T1. We'll see. :)

Blades

Given the reflector's not as deep as that of the Q-III, you'll probably get a wider flood and less throw than even the Q-III. :D I personally find spots less useful since I've got longer-throwing lights handy on me if I want to highlight something a few hundred feet off, and I'll get decent spill so I don't have to move the light around to get a good image of what I'm seeing. The Fenix L1P looks to be a nice and cheap running small flood light, though.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Haesslich said:
Given the reflector's not as deep as that of the Q-III, you'll probably get a wider flood and less throw than even the Q-III.

I thought so too, but according to the review by another member here, L1P actually has a more well defined hot spot and out throw QIII.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
redduck said:
I thought so too, but according to the review by another member here, L1P actually has a more well defined hot spot and out throw QIII.

I'd have to say that the 'outthrow' part depends on the Q-III as well; they're very much the poster child of the Luxeon Lottery. Mine threw as well as an Aleph2 with a BB500/1x123 body, and I can use it with the L1P mod I'm getting later to see if there's that big a difference in terms of throw.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...
We'll see. I suppose I'll have a little test to see what I prefer. :) I need to just stay off this forum and quit buying everything. :) LOL
That won't happen anytime soon.
If I had money(this month) I would just keep my Jets22. It is almost perfect for me. The only other thing I need is a laynard hole on it. Oh well.
I'm looking forward to my Fenix light. I think between it and my Infinity(old style) I'll have a nice set-up. Maybe...till next month and something new comes along. :)

Last edited:

Gasguy

Newly Enlightened
Well here is what I decided to do. I sold the Q3 for $30 and ordered a Inova T1. I think I'll try the T1 for EDC for awhile. But shortly after selling my Q3 I started having sellers remorse. I am going to be ordering a new Q3 also, maybe a green one this time. I wish they made them in HA3 with a glass lens. Even if it added a $5-$10 bit to the finale price. I think this one will see a little less ruff duty time at work, possibly dog walk and night stand duty. Who has the best price on Q3"s these day's? The one I sold I bought from county com for $29 along with some other stuff. I see they no longer have them on their site now. Ordered the Inova T1 from Bright guy along with some other things, price seemed good. I see Amondo tech has Q3's for $29. Thanks for the replys.......

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
LITEmania (Warren) sells HA-III Q-III's with glass lenses and T-binned LuxIII's for a good price. Talk with him, or check the Dealer's Corner. :D It sounds like what you're wanting.