New PentagonLight models available

Mark2

Enlightened
Several new PentagonLight models are now available, including their first Luxeon light. The new models are:

S2 red
S2 blue
S2 green
S2 IR (4W)
S2 UV (2W)
L2 3W Luxeon

The clickie tailcaps are also available now.

I've updated my reviews with pictures and beamshots of the new models, and in some cases comparisons to others lights:

S2 IR to Inova X5TM-IR, Surefire M1, Sony HVL-IRM.
S2 UV to Inova X5T UV, NightCutter 5C Forensic.
L2 to Pelican M6 LED 3W, Surefire E2L.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping you were referring to their highly anticipated and overdue S3 (24 LEDs), S4, (55 LEDs) and X-4 xenon (250 lumens).

The company already sells Lux 1, Lux III, and Lux V heads for their tactical xenon lights.

Mark2

Enlightened
I meant "available", not "on their website" ;-)

(The 1W and 5W lights/heads are not available yet.)

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey mark2

Do you know if xenon X3 beam can throw far? or does it have flood beam?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks pretty cool to me. Well... how is the runtime?

-David

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "old" forums had numerous comments and minireviews of the X2 and X3. Unfortunately, my old bookmarks are now useless.

Basically, Pentagonlight is considered to offer 95 percent of Surefire quality at maybe 80 percent of the cost. They pride themselves on their reflectors, which they claim provide a very smooth beam. And they offer an impressive array of options. Their forthcoming X4 (4x123A) will use a turbohead and is rated at 250 lumens.

Their lamp assemblies can be used in Surefire heads, and vice versa.

Pentagonlight bodies cannot use Surefire extenders, so I suppose the tailcaps won't interchange. But the firm offers a choice of well-built tailcaps.

I was tempted to go with Pentagonlight, but instead I've gone with Wolf Eyes and G&P because of their lower cost. In addition, Wolf Eyes can use the thicker Pila cells while G&P offers a better choice of heads and its bodies and heads can acccept more Surefire accessories.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey paul,

Do you know if pentagon X3 light produce a more focused beam than wolf eye light? Does the X3 light throw farther than wolf eye?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like the L2... but the 1hr runtime is not very good.

-David

Mark2

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Basically, Pentagonlight is considered to offer 95 percent of Surefire quality at maybe 80 percent of the cost.

Please explain in detail (no generalizations) where PentagonLight lacks 5 percent quality. Are you talking about their perfect, thick HA-III where the color of all parts match? Are you talking about their tailcaps *working*? Are you talking about their reflectors not having greasy fingerprints on them? Are you talking about clean lenses (inside!) when the light comes out of the box? Are you talking about their double O-rings? Are you takling about the gold contacts? The perfect (not oval...) beams? Please tell us.

I am in no way affiliated with PentagonLight, and I really *really* like Surefire (and HDS and many more), but we are flashlight "pros", so let's please be objective and give credit to those who deserve it. PentagonLight is the first manufacturer to give Surefire a run for their money, and if one company needs competition, then it's Surefire.

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Their lamp assemblies can be used in Surefire heads, and vice versa.

There currently are 3 lamp assemblies from PentagonLight, the BX1, the BX2 and the BX3. None of them can replace a Surefire lamp assembly (P60/P61, P90/P91), and the Surefire lamp assemblies cannot be used in the PentagonLight models. What are you talking about? Am I missing something?

Guys, please do not comment about lights you did not handle and test yourself. I've checked out every PentagonLight as soon as it was available. I have handled and tested most Surefire lights, as well as Streamlight, Pelican, UK, PT, Inova, Tektite, Pila, Dark-Ops, Night-Ops, Gerber, NightCutter, Nuwai, Dorcy ... You won't find a guy more willing to look at new lights than me, and I don't care if the package says "Surefire" or "made in China". Let me tell you one thing: if PentagonLight doesn't turn belly up, then, in just a few years, the flashaholics on the forums will talk about and admire PentagonLight just like they do with Surefire now. This will be the time when I'll be looking for some hot new manufacturers ... :)

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stand corrected, Mark2. I've never owned a Pentagonlight, and with my bookmarks now worthless, I was going from memory about what others had written. In this case, my memory failed me about its quality (or others had not given Pentagonlight its due) and Surefire compatibility.

As to the question about how focused is the X3's beam, I'd better leave that to actual users.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Mark2 said:
There currently are 3 lamp assemblies from PentagonLight, the BX1, the BX2 and the BX3. None of them can replace a Surefire lamp assembly (P60/P61, P90/P91), and the Surefire lamp assemblies cannot be used in the PentagonLight models. What are you talking about? Am I missing something?

1. I currently run four different Pentagonlights of varying configurations; one X2 with a BOG 3W module, one X2 with a Surefire P61 lamp module, one X2 with an X3 head and reflector for a 2 cell turbohead, and one with an X2 head on an X3 body with a Surefire P90 lamp module.

2. In order to use a surefire module in a pentagonlight all one needs to do is carefully pull off the surefire ground spring and replace with the pentagonlight ground spring. simple.

Mark2

Enlightened
Well, IMHO *interchangeable* means that you can use the parts without modification and they fit. I'd like to point out that besides the spring issue, the diameter of the Surefire lamp assemblies is smaller than then diameter of the PentagonLight 2-cell assemblies, see pictures.

bx2-1.jpg

bx2-2.jpg

Just for completeness, the 3-cell lamp assemblies:

bx3-1.jpg

bx3-2.jpg

bx3-3.jpg

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics, Mark2! I wonder whether the B-X3 lamp would interchange with the 9V lamp used in Wolf Eyes' latest 9V light, the 9D/9DX. In place of the large, heavy 45mm head used in the 9M/9MX, the 9D uses a step-up adapter to turn the 9A/9T's 36mm bezel into a 42mm bezel. My 6MX uses the same 42mm step-up bezel, which can be bought for about $15 to turn any 36mm Wolf Eyes or Pila light into the 42mm version. The 9V lamp from the 9MX fits it just fine.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the L2... I'd buy it if the clicky didnt cost $34 more. That is $125 for the L2 with clicky, and thats' expensive, seeing that a PM6 3w costs $99. But what I really like is the double O-rings and the glass lens. If I could get one for $85, I'd buy it. I'll just have to see the review when FLreviews gets one.

-David

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapo,
Today I received a Surefire Z49 clickie for my LEDWave Z-3 (which is based on G&P's T9 body). I've got to say, it makes the use of the Z-3 MUC easier and carefree.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a LEDWAVE Z3? And how is that relevant?

-David

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z-3 is a miniturbo xenon 9V light that can use Surefire components (tailcaps, extenders, heads, and lamps). I reviewed it here. I was simply pointing out that I, too, used to feel that $34 was simply too much to spend on a tailcap, but trying was believing.

Last edited: