Inova X1 Mod?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the size and feel of the Inova X1... has anyone put a Lux3, new board, and
Reflector in one? i was thinking about doing it....

one other thing, the inside of the light chamber is black, but black absorbs light.
wouldn't white or mirror finish make better use of the little side spill from the LED?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I was thinking about the same thing but with one 35K 5mm led... thats as far as I have goten was the thought though. :(

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Nichia CS or a 35k would be good in the X1, but why not go all out? I was thinking of a R__H Lux I and a boost circuit to run on alkaline/lithium AAs. With a Lux III maybe you could run it on 14500s. Nichia Jupiter, maybe...?

I'm not too interested in putting a reflector in, because it seems like the LED sits awfully deep inside the muzzle of the light, but re-finishing that little chamber in something reflective seems like a good idea. I don't know why they made it black.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mod is relatively straightforward. I was able to insert a standard Lux sandwich in the X1. It is an emitter I got from Modamag, and was originally in a maglight. It is bright, but requires a 14500 battery, so I don't carry it with me. I usually have my green stock X1 instead. The fit was JUST right, so you have to make sure all the electronics fit inside the pieces.

The mod requires you to open the x1 ala freezer method. The brass housing has to be filed down to create a larger aperture for the led. You can file down more of the housing to affect the focus/placement of the led, but might need to make an adjustment in the spring to match. I used a hand file and filed it down by hand. The brass is soft.

I have been using the RR2AA- it is a much brighter spotlight. The x1 is a nicer light, though, easy to pocket and carry.

A 5mm mod is probably best, because you can use the stock pcb and still use alkaline batteries.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, i've put a NCS in mine. just thinking about other mods.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
yea, i've put a NCS in mine. just thinking about other mods.
I just bought one of these off of Ebay. How does it look with the CS Vs. the original?

Krit

Enlightened
I have done on my X1. I cut off NX05 and use lowdome 1 watt drive with MM from dat2zip. The nice smooth light enought for walking around my house.

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz said:
I just bought one of these off of Ebay. How does it look with the CS Vs. the original?

i didnt really notice a big difference....

Ikonomi

Enlightened
The X1 seems like a possible host for a Fenix L1/L1P type of setup. What's the circuitry like in those? That's the whole reason I was thinking of a Luxeon 1 emitter.

wtraymond

Enlightened
I dropped a TWOJ in my X1 and use a 14500 li-ion battery direct drive. Unfortunately, I didn't move the emitter close enough to the lens and it's all throw. It has great throw but it's useless up close. It's also too small for that much power. It heats up very fast with a fresh cell.

I did bore out the brass cylinder and polish it. This causes a strange colored corona around the hotspot. Did I mention that the hotspot is square like the emitter die.

I would like to try another Lux III mod on the X1 but would probably use a regulated circuit like a NG400-500 with a TWOH. I'd also move the emitter much closer to the lens for some flood. You don't use a light this small for throw.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, mine doesn't get hot. I don't use it much, though. The lens has an optimum focal length and I think advancing the emitter towards it might just mess up the beam entirely. You would have to test. My lux mod has a hotspot that is tighter than the stock led.

wmpwi

Enlightened
I'll post on this in more detail later, but I put a Mad Max driver w/ a red/orange emitter and during assembly knocked off the emitter dome leaving the gold wires and phosphorus perfectly in tact. I was already committed so I went ahead and the beam is actual a clear projection of the LED itself. It was like looking a poster with the square at 12 x 12 and incredible detail. :rant:

wtraymond said:
I dropped a TWOJ in my X1 and use a 14500 li-ion battery direct drive. Unfortunately, I didn't move the emitter close enough to the lens and it's all throw. It has great throw but it's useless up close. It's also too small for that much power. It heats up very fast with a fresh cell.

I did bore out the brass cylinder and polish it. This causes a strange colored corona around the hotspot. Did I mention that the hotspot is square like the emitter die.

I would like to try another Lux III mod on the X1 but would probably use a regulated circuit like a NG400-500 with a TWOH. I'd also move the emitter much closer to the lens for some flood. You don't use a light this small for throw.