3.0v rechargeables (incl. Markcm's new cells)

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
J.S. Burly sells the 3.0v (not 3.6v) rechargeable cells and charger, and refers to a prior CPF thread w/ "beta tester" reviews of this set-up.

https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=87

I'm interested in these as a possible rechargeable solution for an A2, L2, and/or L1. Can't find the "reviews" thread and would be much obliged if anyone can point me to it.

Also wondering if anyone has knowledge of the cheaper version at batteryspace:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1641

Another issue is whether these cells are sized slim enough to fit these SFs.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: J.S. Burly 3.0v rechargeables

I don't know about these 3V RCR123A cells, but nearly all so-called 3V RCR123A cells have turned out to be mislabeled or to offer woefully low capacity--on the order of 200 mAh.

An exception may be these. I've been in touch with the vendor and told him that many of us would welcome such a cell if it lived up to its claim of delivering 3.0V and 600 mAh. I'll see if he's ready to decloak and comment.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have Js Burley 3V cr123A. It is actually 3.2 volt come off the charger. It is very good. I used them on my Gladius. I can't use on PM6 3 watt LED HAIII because it doesn't have heat dissipation feature of Gladius.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

Could be a great find there. Thanks.

I checked the website and couldn't find where you can buy extras of just the cells (w/o charger)?

You're right, if they have decent capacity, that would be key. Next issue (for me) would be sizing---slim enough to fit all the rechargeable-challenged SFs (A2, L2, L1, etc.) ?

Please post what you learn from the vendor.

Thanks again,

Andrew

taiji

Enlightened

Well I took the fall and ordered the 650 ma 3.0 v rcr123s from the site Paul_in_Maryland mentioned for my T3, XO3 and Predator. We'll see how it performs. I'll post updates.

Markcm

Newly Enlightened
RCR123A 3.0v rechargeables

Paul_in_Maryland said:
I don't know about these 3V RCR123A cells, but nearly all so-called 3V RCR123A cells have turned out to be mislabeled or to offer woefully low capacity--on the order of 200 mAh.

An exception may be these. I've been in touch with the vendor and told him that many of us would welcome such a cell if it lived up to its claim of delivering 3.0V and 600 mAh. I'll see if he's ready to decloak and comment.

Hi folks, my name is Mark and I have been reading the CPF for about a year now. I recently met Paul_in_Mayland regarding some Li-ion cells and a spring loaded charger for 18650/ 17500 cells; I am the fellow Paul has linked to above at www.e-lectronics.net.

I have several rechargeable CR123 cells of 3.7 volts, 3.0 by chemistry and 3.0 by IC reduction to offer.

I have done some bench testing for comparison and would like to do some more. I have plotted data of the various cells which I will post soon.

-Markcm

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

picard,

Thanks for your post about the J.S. Burly cells. Is heat dimension a big issue with them? Ever tried to fit them into an A2, L2, or L1?

taiji,

Glad you took the plunge on Paul's find. Look forward to reading your impressions of them.

Mark,

Very interested to read your post. Welcome to CPF!

I think you will find that a lot of CPFers are interested in a rechargeable solution to the many lights that have problems accepting---either because of excess voltage or excess diameter (sizing)---the common 3.6v R123 cells.

Look forward to your input.

Andrew

Last edited:

Markcm

Newly Enlightened

AFAustin said:
picard,

Mark,

Very interested to read your post. Welcome to CPF!

I think you will find that a lot of CPFers are interested in a rechargeable solution to the many lights that have problems accepting---either because of excess voltage or excess diameter (sizing)---the common 3.6v R123 cells.

Look forward to your input.

Andrew

Thanks for the welcome!

As Paul mentioned, I do have RCR123A 600 mAh cells and Goncz Hi TECH Flashlights; I have received very good feedback from folks who have purchased these batteries and I'm keeping a list of reported compatibility. I have all the manufacturer spec's on these but the real test is in a torch, and you must consider they are about 1/2 the capacity of a primary cell so we know right off the bat that the will not perform as well. The question is, will they hold enough energy to make the savings worth the reduced run time. Goncz Hi TECH Flashlights

-Mark

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Js Burly CR123A 3.2V will fit into SF A2, L1, L2. I dont' know if those lights have heat dissipation feature like Gladius. You should email SF to find out about it.

I have gladius, PM6 3w and wolfeye M90turbo incandescent lights. They are better than SF. I don't have A2, L1 or L2 to test the batteries. sorry. I check flashlightreview.com site but it doesn't mention about CR123A 3.2 volt with those lights.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, picard.

Also, here's the e-mail response I just got from Jon at J.S. Burley's:

Hello Andrew,

The batteries do fit but the current regulator in these cut the amperage a little below where you might like it. They will run the light but not as long as you might like. They work best in 1watt applications like the old Arc.

Thanks
Jon

On 24 Sep 2005 18:58:40 -0000, Andrew Forsythe <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi.

I am wondering about the following product as a rechargeable solution for the Surefire A2, L2, and /or L1:

3Volt JSB-123 Set
[3V-JSB-123-Set] $30.70

Is the lower voltage the ticket for these lights?

Is the diameter small enough to fit in these lights?

What is the capacity of the cells?

Thanks very much.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

by the way, battery space cr123a rechargeable isn't 3V at all. It is 3.7 V but it comes off charger at 4.4 volt

Markcm

Newly Enlightened

picard said:
by the way, battery space cr123a rechargeable isn't 3V at all. It is 3.7 V but it comes off charger at 4.4 volt

There are several types of "reduced voltage" rechargeable CR123's and they ARE NOT all the same. The RCR123 3.0ic as I like to call it is totally different than the Powerizer. The Powerizer white/orange cell does not have any PCB or min/max voltage protection and uses a totally different method of voltage reduction....and a different charger, don't mix. I know everyone wants a one-charger-fits all solution but that's not practical considering all the variations in battery chemistry and several different types of internal PCB's.

None of these are a 1 for 1 perfect replacement for the disposable primary cell but they are getting much closer than a traditional Li-ion.

Also note that many of these rechargeable cr123's are slightly larger than a tradition CR123, my site states the dimensions of the cell I offer and a list compatible/ non-compatible lights (with my cell) as reported by users.

For the most recent information on the RCR123 3.0ic I offer, check with my site www.e-lectronics.net

-Markcm

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark

I do not think so. I just got the Battery Space 3V cells too and off the charger they were way over 4V. And they instantly fried the bulb in my E2e. They do not drop to 3.2V. After 2 days off the charger they are still at 4.31V. And after 120 seconds running at full power in my LC they are at 4.26V (no load).

I would love to try out your cells with a voltage regulator in them. What is the max current you can pull from them?

Picard

Good to finally talk to you first hand captain. What are your orders sir?

Cheers
Data

Last edited:

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark

I do not think so. I just got the Battery Space 3V cells too and off the charger they were way over 4V. And they instantly fried the bulb in my E2e. They do not drop to 3.2V. After 2 days off the charger they are still at 4.31V. And after 120 seconds running at full power in my LC they are at 4.26V (no load).

I would love to try out your cells with a voltage regulator in them. What is the max current you can pull from them?

Picard

Good to finally talk to you first hand captain. What are your orders sir?

Cheers
Data

Good to see you again Data. How are you? :) Do you like your new command at USS Titan, Sovereign class II battleship, right? It is beautiful ship , isn't she.
Lets take the batteries down to science lab for further examination.

Js Burley is the only vendor that I know who sells regulated CR123A 3.2V. That't the voltage come off the charger. It is well below the max tolerance of Gladius. Gladius can handle max 7V. JS burley battery is made by Sanyo. It is very good. It looks identical to regular sanyo battery except for the red letters " rechargeable battery" on the cover. Sanyo battery works well for my Gladius which can handle max of 7V.

Other vendors sell unregulated batteries from China because I don't recognize them as Japanese brand name at all.

Last edited:

Markcm

Newly Enlightened

picard said:
Js Burley is the only vendor that I know who sells regulated CR123A 3.2V. That't the voltage come off the charger. It is well below the max tolerance of Gladius. Gladius can handle max 7V. JS burley battery is made by Sanyo. It is very good. It looks identical to regular sanyo battery except for the red letters " rechargeable battery" on the cover. Sanyo battery works well for my Gladius which can handle max of 7V.

Other vendors sell unregulated batteries from China because I don't recognize them as Japanese brand name at all.

Hi guys,

My cells (click here to see them) are not Panasonic and they are made in China although they definitely do have an IC built into them.

To accurately measure the voltage of these cells you must use a resistor such as a 1k ohm across the terminals to active the PCB, these cells when fresh of the charger and loaded may output as much as 3.4v and will settle to 3.0v as the "nominal voltage." The PCB low voltage shut off will kick in at around 2.0 volts [when measured externally] but is actually a cell voltage of 2.7v "pre-pcb". Note that this is a standard Li-ion behind the PCB.

It is noted that these are not a 1 for 1 replacement of a primary CR123 as the voltage is still higher and the cell dimensions are about .8mm greater in diameter and .5mm longer causing fitment issues in some lights and the PCB actually trips in some high current lights because the draw exceeds the max current threshold of the PCB; this can sometimes be alleviated by a few clicks on the tailcap which allows small bursts of current to the bulb before the PCB trips, the bulb warms which in turn increases the resistance, lowers the current flow to a point below the threshold of the PCB.

For the most recent information on the RCR123 3.0ic I offer, check with my site www.e-lectronics.net

-Markcm

Last edited:

Markcm

Newly Enlightened

AFAustin said:
Mark,

What is the diameter on your cells? I'm wondering if they will fit in an A2, L2, or L1?

There is a new thread here that has some measurements on certain lights and cells: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93545

Thanks again for your input.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The spec sheet calls out: Ф16.3(±0.3)*34.3(±0.2)mm

I just grabbed 5 random cells and my not so great .001 resolution plastic (units collected in inch then converted to mm) caliper which I have handy right now, one thing I noticed is that the cells do have a (.004") .127mm rise where the nickel band runs along the length for the IC. Here are the max diameters measured where the band is for each of the 5 cells:

1. Ф16.56mm, 34.595
  2. Ф16.73mm, 34.544
  3. Ф16.73mm, 34.518
  4. Ф16.69mm, 34.519
  5. Ф16.71mm, 34.522
I will call these un-official data points for now becuase of the poor quality of calipers I have on hand tonight and leave them off the official cell size thread. I do notice that the manufacturing of my latest cells show a little difference in the button and the spec above came with my previous batch.

Regards,
Mark

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark,

Thanks for the measurements. Looks like the diameter is a bit too much for an A2 (16.70mm).

Haven't seen a post yet with barrel diameter for an L2 or L1.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Andrew