PK Design Lab

Thread: Inova T5

Flashaholic*

Default Inova T5

Has anyone seen the Inova T5? looks like a T4 but brighter and cheaper, did we all discuss this such a long time ago that it's old news?

Looks interesting....
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Smile Re: Inova T5

edit
    Last edited by ZeissOEM2; 08-26-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Default Re: Inova T5

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester
    looks like a T4 but brighter
    The T4 and T5 each are rated at 100 lumens by Inova.

best regards

They are both rated @100 lumens by the manufactor.
    The only differecne is that the T5 is a tad bit bigger and with a longer running time.
    Last edited by Outdoors Fanatic; 09-25-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Umm, the main difference between the T4 and T5 is that the T4 is the rechargeable version. The T5 runs with standard CR123s. Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by powernoodle
    The T4 and T5 each are rated at 100 lumens by Inova.
    My bet is that it's 65 lumens in reality, at most. To get 100 lumens from a Luxeon III, you would need a high U bin emitter driven to spec (1000 mA) with nearly zero light losses in the optics and lens. Ain't gonna happen.

Besides, the T3 is advertised as 85 lumens, while actual testing points to something closer to 40 lumens. My direct comparison to other flashlights is entirely consistent with that measurement.
    Andrew

My point was that the T4 and T5 put out the same amount of light, whatever that amount is.

best regards

Has anyone heard anything more about the T5? Is Inova still planning to release this light?

Jon
    winter is coming

Post Re: Inova T5

The T5 is available. I have never used or seen one. They seem to be available mostly at cop shops and don't seem to be stocked by our traditional flashlight dealers.

Search in Froogle to find them. They run about $70-$75 which is about $20 less than the T4.

It is longer than the T4 with otherwise the same sideswitch layout. My T3 & T4 are so close in performance I probably can't see any great advantage to the expense and size penalty of adding another cell for an hour or less additional runtime.

I'm sure it is a very good light like the other T series, but it seems to be kind of an orphan in the overall lineup.

Mark

The reason for having the t5 would fall under a security matter. I can hit an assailant on the head with a t5, break a window with a T5 and get a brighter beam with a t5 rather than a t3. I have owned a t4 for the past 2 days and am fed up with the finicky charger. I have had problems getting it to seat properly and sometimes the light wont even turn on. The light itself however, is one bad mo-fo! I can illuminate an area 15 feet in diameter at sixty yards or 180ft distance!

It is my experience that, the more complicated something is, the more can go wrong. I dont ever want to reach for my light and find out it wasnt charging this whole time!!! I also never want to reach for it and have it not turn on! Screw that!!!

Im going to get the t5 and put a pila in it like our friend above mentioned. The end.
    Last edited by pfmedic; 11-30-2005 at 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Flashaholic*

pfmedic- have you contacted Inova with your problem? While I don't have personal experience with them, I've always read that they stand behind their products and offer excellent customer service.

I own 5 inova lights. FIVE! I LOVE Inova. Im emailing them all the time and they are aware of my concern with my T4. They have kick azz customer service! However, no amount of customer service is going to make me keep a t4. If I put it on the charger and the light glows a solid blue and I come back 5 hours later and it's blinking blue, how am I supposed to be assured that the light was charging the whole time? I'm a firefighter and emergency medical technician. I cant be bothered with troubleshooting my light. Ive got a job to do, whether my light works or not, and I dont want to deal with the T4. The retailer I purchased the T4 from is being awesome about a return and I have already mailed it out.

Thats my choice. BAM!

It doesnt mean that all t4's are bad. Im well aware of how good Inova products are, or I wouldnt own five of their lights. However, it does mean that the PARTICULAR PRODUCT I WAS ISSUED was faulty... and Im going to get the t5 instead as a result of my experience because it's obviously going to be the more safe, reliable of the two lights. The T5 is not released by Inova as of yet, but when it is, I'll be sure to pick one up.

With a firm, unwavering tone, I'm giving the t4 the flush. Goodbye.
    Last edited by pfmedic; 11-21-2005 at 11:03 PM.

Interesting, I alternate carrying a T4 and a PILA GL4R as my duty light.
    Never had my T4 charger blink except for 2-3 blinks when first mounted, then it glows solid and goes out when charged
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pfmedic
    I own 5 inova lights. FIVE! I LOVE Inova. Im emailing them all the time and they are aware of my concern with my T4. They have kick azz customer service! However, no amount of customer service is going to make me keep a t4. If I put it on the charger and the light glows a solid blue and I come back 5 hours later and it's blinking blue, how am I supposed to be assured that the light was charging the whole time?
    Hmm, mine does give me the blinking blue, it's a pain to get right lately, but once it's on correctly, it stays solid blue until going green to indicate full. I wonder why yours blinks after being solid? Guess I'm gonna have to write them and ask. None of th cotacts look dirty or tarnished either, or worn.

Have they given you a possible cause on this blinking?
    I'm not getting worse; I'm getting brighter!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74 Tekna Mono Lith
    Hybrid: SL TT 2L, SF A2
    LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, several small Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chameleon, Titanium Chameleon, Orb Raw NS.

Flashaholic*

DefenseDevices.com shows the T5 on their website as "coming November 22" for $79.95 ($99.95 MSRP).

I've had good service ordering from them. Their Inova prices seem to be about the lowest on the 'net. They also carry the best O.C. tear gas made, the Fox brand.

The 2 X 123 T5 looks like a T4 with its tube-mounted switch behind the head. I'd guess its actual output to be in the 50-60 lumen range, based on their "85 lumen" rating (40-45 actual) of the nifty XO3 and T3. It'd be nice if they built some Throw into the T5, eh?

Flashaholic*

Isn't the T5 going to be a 3 x 123 light?
    Incans: SF G2, Pelican M6 Lithium, SL TL-3, Mags, MinMags, Browning Thunder & Lightning Bugs, M*G74 Tekna Mono Lith
    LED: SF U2, Inova T4, Gladius, HDS U60, SG 30 LED, several small Coast lights, 8 LED AAAs, VB-16 3W, CPF LE #13 VB-16, LionHeart, Orb RAW, LionCub, McLux PDIII, Chameleon, Titanium Chameleon, Orb Raw NS.

Flashaholic*

Oops, my bad.

The T5 is a 3 X 123, NOT a 2 X 123.

I dont know why my t4 would work itself loose or not charge at all. I dont know why it wouldnt turn on sometimes. When I emailed them, they told me how to seat it, but I already knew that becuase I read the directions.

Inova also told me that they dont do exchanges for different lights nor do they do money back. Thus, my only option would have been to sell it or to get the retailer to work something out. Luckily, the latter appears to be in progress. Its a good thing too becuase I dont think anyone would want to buy a faulty T4... even if they thought that I just dont know what Im doing and the light if fine.

November 22 was... TODAY. Inova told me today they dont have a release date yet. Anyone else have a release date for the T5?

Yes the T5 takes three 123's. Also, it's fatter around and 0.7 inches longer.
    Last edited by pfmedic; 11-23-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typos

Update on release date of T5. Spoke with a retailer and he said that Inova quoted them February 2006. Happy Valentines Day.

JS Burley's has the Pila 120s that works with the t5 too. Cool!

Flashaholic

What brand of LED does it uses? There is no 4 watt luxeon.
    ARC-AAA 3.1, ARC-AAA EV, ARC SLS, LW2000, LW3000, Legend LX, Mag 3C w/ LedCorp PS3 Luxeon

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TorchMan
    Hmm, mine does give me the blinking blue, it's a pain to get right lately, but once it's on correctly, it stays solid blue until going green to indicate full. I wonder why yours blinks after being solid?
    Wow, I'd never even heard about the charging indicator turning green. The LED on my charger reliably turns blue when the light is inserted, then shuts off when the charge cycle is finished - no green or any other colour to be seen. I guess there have been some revisions to the charger?

Quote Originally Posted by ledled
    What brand of LED does it uses? There is no 4 watt luxeon.
    I seem to remember some discussion about a special overdriven 3 watt, or something like that. I could be wrong, though.

-Brad
    Last edited by Bradlee; 11-25-2005 at 07:16 PM.
    -Brad

Flashaholic*

Bradlee,

Yes, they did update the charger. When I first got mine, I noticed everyone here indicated the light turned off when charged. Mine went green, and the manual states that it should do that as well. I feel the light just going out is not the best way, an indicator should do just that, indicate. There was a thread here a while back that had a link to a site selling the T4. In the display photo the indicator was red! Don't know if that was charged, charging or just a PhotoShop type job.

Hey PFmedic...
    (hijacking the thread for just a moment)
    They did revise the T4 charger so that it shows blue when charging and turns green when fully charged.

I was having a bit of trouble with charging my T4 as well (I also read and followed the instructions about how to seat it in the charger...boy did Mag do a better job of that with the magcharger).

Anyway I took some 99% isopropol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and carefully cleaned the contacts on the charger, the contacts on the light, and I also pulled the battery and carefully cleaned the springs inside and the contacts on both ends of the battery. BUT the real difference was when I took the alcohol and cleaned the end of the light where the tailcap meets the body (not the threads, the very end where the electrical contact is really made between tailcap and body). I got all of this lubricant off the end and the inside of the tailcap and suddenly my light is behaving just fine.

If I'm not being clear about what to clean let me know and I'll post a picture. Since you have trouble turning the light on this may be the other part of your issue as well.

(Now back to our origional broadcast)

I'd love to see a T5 though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy one as the T4 is perfect for my use (nightly walks). I have to agree that the T5 really does feel sort of "orphaned" like it doesn't -quite- fit in anywhere.
    Last edited by zespectre; 11-25-2005 at 11:15 PM.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

pfmedic, I had the same blinking blue light problem with my first T4. For whatever reason, the electrical connection was not being maintained throughout the charging cycle. I returned it to the dealer who replaced it on the spot. The replacement T4 has functioned flawlessly for the past several weeks. It gets used every day and, when it's not being used, it sits in the charging cradle with solid blue going to solid green every time. Just like SF I guess, you've simply got to get a good one.
    Last edited by Big Bob; 11-25-2005 at 11:29 PM.

Zespectre-

The most recent T4's have an led that does the following:

glows solid blue when charging
    flashes blue when not properly seated
    glows solid green when fully charged

Big Bob-

Even so, I think that I'd be more happy with the T5. In hindsight I always realize that the more complicated something is, the more that can go wrong. Plus I think the T5 is far more water resistant than the T4, all things considered. Plus, my cat likes cords. He doesnt care if it's my Inova cord or not. Luckily he never got at the inova cord or I wouldnt be able to return it.

UPDATE: The T5 should be available from BatteryJunction by Mid-December.