Inova T5

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both rated @100 lumens by the manufactor.
The only differecne is that the T5 is a tad bit bigger and with a longer running time.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm, the main difference between the T4 and T5 is that the T4 is the rechargeable version. The T5 runs with standard CR123s. Isn't it?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
The T4 and T5 each are rated at 100 lumens by Inova. :)

My bet is that it's 65 lumens in reality, at most. To get 100 lumens from a Luxeon III, you would need a high U bin emitter driven to spec (1000 mA) with nearly zero light losses in the optics and lens. Ain't gonna happen.

Besides, the T3 is advertised as 85 lumens, while actual testing points to something closer to 40 lumens. My direct comparison to other flashlights is entirely consistent with that measurement.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard anything more about the T5? Is Inova still planning to release this light?

Jon

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T5 is available. I have never used or seen one. They seem to be available mostly at cop shops and don't seem to be stocked by our traditional flashlight dealers.

Search in Froogle to find them. They run about $70-$75 which is about $20 less than the T4.

It is longer than the T4 with otherwise the same sideswitch layout. My T3 & T4 are so close in performance I probably can't see any great advantage to the expense and size penalty of adding another cell for an hour or less additional runtime.

I'm sure it is a very good light like the other T series, but it seems to be kind of an orphan in the overall lineup.

Mark

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
The reason for having the t5 would fall under a security matter. I can hit an assailant on the head with a t5, break a window with a T5 and get a brighter beam with a t5 rather than a t3. I have owned a t4 for the past 2 days and am fed up with the finicky charger. I have had problems getting it to seat properly and sometimes the light wont even turn on. The light itself however, is one bad mo-fo! I can illuminate an area 15 feet in diameter at sixty yards or 180ft distance!

It is my experience that, the more complicated something is, the more can go wrong. I dont ever want to reach for my light and find out it wasnt charging this whole time!!! I also never want to reach for it and have it not turn on! Screw that!!!

Im going to get the t5 and put a pila in it like our friend above mentioned. The end.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
pfmedic- have you contacted Inova with your problem? While I don't have personal experience with them, I've always read that they stand behind their products and offer excellent customer service.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I own 5 inova lights. FIVE! I LOVE Inova. Im emailing them all the time and they are aware of my concern with my T4. They have kick azz customer service! However, no amount of customer service is going to make me keep a t4. If I put it on the charger and the light glows a solid blue and I come back 5 hours later and it's blinking blue, how am I supposed to be assured that the light was charging the whole time? I'm a firefighter and emergency medical technician. I cant be bothered with troubleshooting my light. Ive got a job to do, whether my light works or not, and I dont want to deal with the T4. The retailer I purchased the T4 from is being awesome about a return and I have already mailed it out.

Thats my choice. BAM!:rock:

It doesnt mean that all t4's are bad. Im well aware of how good Inova products are, or I wouldnt own five of their lights. However, it does mean that the PARTICULAR PRODUCT I WAS ISSUED was faulty... and Im going to get the t5 instead as a result of my experience because it's obviously going to be the more safe, reliable of the two lights. The T5 is not released by Inova as of yet, but when it is, I'll be sure to pick one up.

With a firm, unwavering tone, I'm giving the t4 the flush. Goodbye.:toilet:

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I alternate carrying a T4 and a PILA GL4R as my duty light.
Never had my T4 charger blink except for 2-3 blinks when first mounted, then it glows solid and goes out when charged

TorchMan

Enlightened
pfmedic said:
I own 5 inova lights. FIVE! I LOVE Inova. Im emailing them all the time and they are aware of my concern with my T4. They have kick azz customer service! However, no amount of customer service is going to make me keep a t4. If I put it on the charger and the light glows a solid blue and I come back 5 hours later and it's blinking blue, how am I supposed to be assured that the light was charging the whole time?

Hmm, mine does give me the blinking blue, it's a pain to get right lately, but once it's on correctly, it stays solid blue until going green to indicate full. I wonder why yours blinks after being solid? Guess I'm gonna have to write them and ask. None of th cotacts look dirty or tarnished either, or worn.

Have they given you a possible cause on this blinking?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
DefenseDevices.com shows the T5 on their website as "coming November 22" for $79.95 ($99.95 MSRP).

I've had good service ordering from them. Their Inova prices seem to be about the lowest on the 'net. They also carry the best O.C. tear gas made, the Fox brand.

The 2 X 123 T5 looks like a T4 with its tube-mounted switch behind the head. I'd guess its actual output to be in the 50-60 lumen range, based on their "85 lumen" rating (40-45 actual) of the nifty XO3 and T3. It'd be nice if they built some Throw into the T5, eh?

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I dont know why my t4 would work itself loose or not charge at all. I dont know why it wouldnt turn on sometimes. When I emailed them, they told me how to seat it, but I already knew that becuase I read the directions.:ohgeez:

Inova also told me that they dont do exchanges for different lights nor do they do money back. Thus, my only option would have been to sell it or to get the retailer to work something out. Luckily, the latter appears to be in progress.:grin2: Its a good thing too becuase I dont think anyone would want to buy a faulty T4... even if they thought that I just dont know what Im doing and the light if fine.

November 22 was... TODAY. Inova told me today they dont have a release date yet. Anyone else have a release date for the T5?

Yes the T5 takes three 123's. Also, it's fatter around and 0.7 inches longer.

Last edited:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Update on release date of T5. Spoke with a retailer and he said that Inova quoted them February 2006. Happy Valentines Day.