FENIX L1P v2.5 CIRCUIT??

rdshores

Enlightened
Has anyone been able to get inside the FENIX L1P v2.5 to see what kind of circuit is being used? Is it a regulator or just a boost circuit? Any pictures? Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am guessing it is just a boost circuit from the runtime plots I have seen. A regulated boost circuit would tend to have a near flat line voltage/output curve and probably drop off like a rock suddenly at the end of the battery life instead of a constant taper on alkalines.

balazer

Enlightened
It's probably a voltage regulated boost circuit. Most inexpensive voltage regulated boost circuits do not have perfectly flat output. E.g., for every volt the input drops, the output drops 0.1 V.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It is possible but I have seen non regulated boosted output charts and it appears similar to those. I am guessing it uses the same circuit design as the 2.0 version with just better suited components built around the same IC so you could probably ask someone that has cracked open one of those for the type of chip and circuit design and figure the 2.5 has heftier inductor etc.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its boost only. A fully regulated CC setup would be too taxing on 1 AA and you'd have terrible runtime as the voltage in would be too low to start it back up..

rdshores

Enlightened
I've used the LTC3490 and it's constant current regulated. Looking at the runtime of the FENIX L1P 2.0, it doesn't look like it is current regulated. So I don't think that chip is being used.

lamperich

Enlightened
where is the runtimeplot?
by the way, would prefer U(in) vs lux over a simple runtimeplot :D

Also this CC chip has limits...

look on datasheet page 3
diagramm: ILED vs VIN

i don´t own neither the chip nor the fenix so iam quiet now :D

balazer

Enlightened
rdshores said:
Has anyone been able to get inside the FENIX L1P v2.5 to see what kind of circuit is being used? Is it a regulator or just a boost circuit? Any pictures? Thanks.
Just curious: why do you want to know? What can it tell you that the run-time plot cannot?

rdshores

Enlightened
Here are some of the runtime graphs for the Ver 2.0. The 2.5V has shipped, so I'm waiting for a runtime on it.
FENIX.jpg

FENIX1.jpg

FENIX2.jpg

As for why I want to know what the circuit is, just my curiosity as to what makes things work or not work. Why do any of us CPF members look inside these lights?
grinser2.gif

lamperich

Enlightened
rdshores said:
As for why I want to know what the circuit is, just my curiosity as to what makes things work or not work. Why do any of us CPF members look inside these lights?
grinser2.gif

You are right

got a cheap 1x cr123a flashlight for only 8 EURO :-D used. on ebay

INSIDE i found an old MW1C Q2j lowdom Star bevor the phopspr was chances.. greeny side spill.... but bright!

regulator ic was a Philips one.

@blaz
You can believe me that was a surprise!
Didn´t expect such good componets.