SPY005 logo design contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
SPY005 LOGO DESIGN CONTEST

The SPY needs a logo and I think we should have some fun with a contest. This post is to kick off the two week long CPF "SPY logo design contest". At the end of the two-week submission period, all CPF people who choose to vote will pick the winning logo. The winner will receive a free production SPY005. I will reserve all rights to the winning logo and it may be laser engraved in the battery cap of the production lights if I deem it is well enough liked.

SPY005-pic7b.jpg

The guidelines of the contest are below; I hope they do not limit the creativity of the logo too much. If you do not like the guidelines, then break them!

I want the logo to have the letters "SPY" in it, but I don't require the numbers "005" be in the logo. I named the light the SPY005 but only gave it the 005 for the year of its release.

The logo can be simply a fancy font or it can include some art/image. I am going to require that the art include a crude likeness of a crow in it. The crow could be stylized to the point that it is not obvious it is a crow or part there of. As an example it could be only part of a head, a beak, a wing, or a footprint. I am going to leave this completely open for the competition.

You must be able to post your black and white design as an image in this thread. Hand sketches on napkins are OK as long as you can scan them into the computer and invert the black and white image. The battery cap on the spy will be hard anodized a natural dark gray color so the engraving will be white in contrast to that.

You could consider posting the image in two sizes. One large enough so we can see it on the computer screen and the other sized so we can get some idea of what it will look like on the end of the light. The image is tiny so keep it simple.

The area the image must fit on is 0.35" x 0.35". Laser engraving on a HA III surface is bright white. Please consider keeping the amount of "white" to a minimum. This just means that it is best to outline something rather than shading it in.

After a two-week period the time for submissions is over. I will enter all the generally popular designs into a CPF vote thread. All CPF members will have a chance to vote on the design of their choice. There are no restrictions on the number of entries each person is allowed to enter in the competition and you can update your design at anytime during the two weeks.

I may enter my own designs in the competition too but they must be voted to win just like everybody else. I also plan to enter a logo into final vote that is blank (nothing). I am going to do this to determine if the majority of the people prefer to just leave the flashlight blank. If in the case my design or blank design were to win I will give the light to the runner up in the voting competition. As suggested earlier, I am going to reserve the right to not use the winning logo. Or, if need be, I may change the winning logo to make it more appropriate for laser scanning technology.

FYI: I am suggesting the crow for the mascot because in the animal kingdom the crow is a notorious spy. For those curious about the crow I thought I would give this short perspective. The "American Crow" is a distinctive North American bird. It is an intelligent and supremely social bird. As many outdoorsy people know the crow is one of the great spies of the forest. They are infamous for spying on hunters or hikers in the woods, following them for hours and crowing until all the local animals know of your presence. Long live the American Crow!

Good luck to everybody that chooses to enter, please have fun with this . . . the games afoot!

Cheers
Dave

***** added 9-29 ******

This is a little update and rule change for all the contest participants and voters.

First I want to say WOW, I had no idea we would get so many entries. Thank you all for your postings and keep them coming. The cut-off for entries is 12 noon (PST) Saturday October 8th. The final vote will take place on Oct 9th and 10th.

Jim and I have been pondering how we are going to handle this huge turnout and have decided on the following. The CPF vote(pole) mechanism is limited to 10 selections. As promised, one of the entries is going to be blank. So I, myself, am going to select 9 of the entered logos to go into the final vote. I will be picking the nine logos based on the most popular (the ones who receive interest), most suitable for the laser engraver technology, and quite simply the ones I think most CPF people would want on their light.

Also, I am planning to format all entries to be the same resolution and size for the vote. Jim will create a separate thread for the vote. It will show all the entries with a unique number assigned to each submission.

Thank you again for all the excellent logos. Please keep the entries coming and have fun with this, I sure am.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sketches are a good place to start and I am throwing these out to put some initial ideas down.

SPY005-logo-1.jpg

There are lots of crow pictures on the web. Just Google images "crow raven".

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
EDIT: I didn't see the "rules" as they did not come up on first view; just the sketches. Nevermind! :nana:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I gotta dust off photoshop and see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz

Nice image. Just keep in mind that the light is black (gray) so the engraving will be white. You would need to invert the image.

Dave

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we go. Added some texture to it.
168337_41_full.jpg

168337_42_full.jpg
Added the year to the tail.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is good!

Print it so it fits in a .35" circle. When you do that the wing tips may disappear. So you would want to go in with a paint brush and reinforce them.

The laser engraver has about 300 to 600 dpi resolution. So it matches up to what an inkjet or laser printer can do.

The "005" date is a play on James Bond. So you should add another zero.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is the small one for the tail of the flashlight.

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm not entering, but what was the trench-coated cartoon spy character I vaguely remember from the '60's or 70's? (I don't think it was Boris from Rocky and Bullwinkle.)

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
McGizmo said:
Larry,
Spy VS Spy from MAD magazine?

Yessir! (Damn, I wish I had a still-functional, sole-surviving braincell. :nana: ) I'll leave it to others to find one to Photoshoppe.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.