UK Light Cannon HID

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My Light Cannon finally showed up.
Sure is a bright S.O.B.
blush.gif

I compared it to the brightest thing I have: a PT Surge, and the following links are to the pictures I took.
http://ledlights.home.att.net/lc3.jpg
Light Cannon and Surge compared side-by-side at 3 feet.

http://ledlights.home.att.net/lc5.jpg
Light Cannon burning a hole in a door at 11 feet.

http://ledlights.home.att.net/lc4.jpg
The Surge doing the same thing to the same door from the same distance.

More later... so don't change that channel!

P.S.
You can now access my website with either http://ledlights.home.att.net or the usual http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:
My Light Cannon finally showed up.
Sure is a bright S.O.B.
blush.gif

I compared it to the brightest thing I have: a PT Surge, and the following links are to the pictures I took.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Holy fecal matter!
shocked.gif
-That Cannon sure IS bright!!!!
Btw-"Merry Christmas"
wink.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

p.s.-that Surge also looks very impressive for 25 bucks
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Surge is a good light, and it also appears to be adjustable. Hard to beat for the price.

So I'm going to try the side-by-side picture again, but this time with the Surge opened up to the same beam diameter as the Light Cannon.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think that is looks good out of water,
you should see it underwater. It may only be 10 watts, but is equalvalent to any 50w incandescant, and the colors are so much better

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
http://ledlights.home.att.net/lc20.jpg
Light Cannon and PT Surge with same sized beams.

http://ledlights.home.att.net/lc21.jpg
Both being fired at the door at the same time.

http://ledlights.home.att.net/hid3.jpg
The insides of the Light Cannon's bulb.
The globe shaped structure in this picture is where the light is created, and is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a common BB.

The orange spots on the inside of the bulb are composed primarily of thallium iodide; and the round globs on the ends of the electrodes are composed primarily of elemental mercury.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
If you think that is looks good out of water,
you should see it underwater. It may only be 10 watts, but is equalvalent to any 50w incandescant, and the colors are so much better
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is being marketed primarily as a diving light.
However, mine will probably never see water unless it falls in the toilet.
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, congratulations Telephony. The whiteness of the HID is superb - I asume that the Surge would look considerably less yellow if pictured alone.

Looking forward to your ProMetric analyses !

lightlover
shocked.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Hey, congratulations Telephony. The whiteness of the HID is superb - I asume that the Surge would look considerably less yellow if pictured alone.

Looking forward to your ProMetric analyses !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right about the Surge, it really doesn't look as yellow when you've not used an HID light in awhile. The eye adapts to the color temperature change remarkably well.

The analysis and other measurements won't be taken for a couple of days. I've temporarily mounted it to my wheelchair and I'm going to take it out late tomorrow afternoon to see how well it works as a headlight. Since it's taped on with 1/3 of a roll of electrical tape and some folded cardboard "shock absorbers", a few swipes of a razor will free it when I've finished, and with no annoying screw holes or gouges in it.

I have yet to devise a semipermanent mounting scheme; as its pistol grip is too large to fit through the fingerguard where my Trek 6000 was mounted. I may end up using a potpourri of materials like metal plant hangers and angle brackets to do this job. Modifying the Trek's grip may also be an option.

But suffice it to say, I love this light, and it makes me the brightest S.O.B. in the whole downtown and east of downtown areas!

BKO

Newly Enlightened
Yes,The LC100 is indeed an impressive light!
Craig,If you plan on using it regularly,I highy suggest the rechargable battery pack or rechargable C-cell`s.

Ive used a LC100 for the past six month`s for inspection use.

Average use..around twenty-thirty minutes a day.

Ive noticed a big increase of "blueishness" after about an hour of use,..noticably dimmer than with fresh batteries.

I am aware that the starting ballast consumes quite a bit juice..But,Im a little dissapointed of the overall Whitness/Brightness,after a day or two of use,(about an hour of use)--the initial brightness/whitness faded,and being a little used too what is was like,i replaced the batteries,the removed batteries where still pretty fresh,and read about 1.43v.The initial brightness/whitness was restored after new batteries where installed.

Note:The above daily usage was one or two starts per day maximum,with knowledge of ballast "rest period"

Conclusion.very impressive light,but remember what it was marketed for--under water photography,in which case it does its job superbly for its price.

BTW Craig,most UK dive lights (with the dovetail handle mounting)are interchangable.

Regards,Bill

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BK:
Yes,The LC100 is indeed an impressive light!
Craig,If you plan on using it regularly,I highy suggest the rechargable battery pack or rechargable C-cell`s.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I find it fills this position well, I will most likely adapt it to run off my chair's 12V 17Ah auxillary battery.
That shouldn't get pulled down too far from a 1.25A load. But that won't happen for awhile, since I value my warranty. Like most electronics, if it makes it through the first 6 months or so, it will *probably* remain trouble-free for a lot longer beyond that. Only then would I consider drilling into it for a cord.

When used as a headlight for my chair, the usage pattern would be somewhat less demanding than yours, and would probably total about 1 to 3 hours a month once the novelty wears off.
smile.gif

I don't go out at night very often, but for those times I do, having a good light is a must. I've been using a Trek 6000 for this purpose and it goes through a set of batteries about every other month. It is also touted as having a similar run time - around 4 hours.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting stuff Craig.
The Prometric shows a slightly off-centre beam: do you think it's adjustable in some way ?

And may I ask if you can somehow add a scale for the "bulb" close-up photo ?
It'd be nice to see it against a rule or something.

Can you or anyone do a series of shots of the HID during the 20 seconds as it warms up - that fascinates me. (I was really disappointed at the output of the Maxa-Beam, but afterwards realised that it never got a chance to warm up in the 10 seconds I saw it for ...... )

lightlover
blush.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Interesting stuff Craig.
The Prometric shows a slightly off-centre beam: do you think it's adjustable in some way ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To my knowledge, it's not adjustable in any manner.

And may I ask if you can somehow add a scale for the "bulb" close-up photo ?
It'd be nice to see it against a rule or something.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The inner bulb is so tiny, nothing I have will even remotely fit in the frame. The space between the two electrodes is somewhere between 1.2mm and 1.4mm. Best I can offer here is to take a picture of the whole lamp assembly on a ruler.

Can you or anyone do a series of shots of the HID during the 20 seconds as it warms up - that fascinates me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose it's possible, but it's gonna be pretty hard on the bulb. My camera takes 20 seconds to reset for the next photo, so I'll end up turning the LC on and off numerous times in order to assemble a montage.
The auto exposure may also cause problems, but I'll try.

recercare

Enlightened
I am abit confused. 8000 Candela, is this the same as 8000 Candlepower? That seems strange, considering Ultrastinger's 75.000 peek Candlepower.

???

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably don't have any plans for this light...but i was wondering if one can make a modified case for the bulb and ballast....basically a better handheld version. PLUS..i was wondering how shock-isolated bezels look like and work on a Surefire, and if the same principals can be applied to the LC100.

The reason i ask is the only thing holding me back now from purchasing the light is it's sensitive AND EXPENSIVE bulb. Wouldn't want to think of knocking the thing on a wall and find out that i just broke an 80 dollar bulb
mad.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've had the Light Cannon mounted to a non-shock absorbed part of my powerchair for the last three weeks, and it isn't quite the delicate flower people (including myself) have made it out to be.

The mounting is to a steel "L", which is bolted directly to a vertical steel rod, which itself is coupled (with no nylon washers or other anti-shock measures) directly to the axle of the right front wheel. What the axle feels, the Light Cannon feels too.

I've run over ill-maintained brick streets, sidewalk cuts and thresholds too many times to count. I've jumped 2" curbs, and have swung the Cannon into walls (though not hard) on several occasions since I mounted it to my chair.

About a week ago I took off the end and pushed in on the bulb just to check it, and nothing happened. It didn't move a millimeter. So the friction fit socket that holds it in really does work, and should protect it from pretty much everything except a face-first fall. Tapping a wall or doorway with it isn't going to knock the bulb loose.

The last time I used the Cannon was tonight, while trying to find out where the Olympic Torch was being carried.
Turns out the damn thing came right up 1st damn Avenue and passed right in front of my damn door, and I missed it by about four damn minutes... and when I did get in my chair and go looking for it, I went the wrong way and missed it entirely.

A once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the torch, missed by mere minutes. Hmph.
frown.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
:pissed:
x.gif
frown.gif

At least the Light Cannon lit the way well for my 45 minute long ride, and I was the envy of *every single bicycler* I encountered! Every one of them craned his head back to stare at my Light Cannon and then frowned when they looked down at their whimpy yellow "headlight"; and a lot of people in cars looked at it as well!
grin.gif

As far as I've seen, my Light Cannon is the only non-automobile HID light in the entire central city - and I've really been looking.
No motorcycles, no bicycles, no people on foot, and no other wheelchairs have HID except for me.
Maybe that's why so many people stare directly at it when I go by - they've never seen a portable HID until they saw my Light Cannon happily blazing away.

It's well worth the $155, even if only to see other people's reactions as they stare at it in envy. And it makes a nice headlight too, especially when travelling in areas with poor existing lighting.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
May I know where do you buy your Cannon HID for $155?
Did they sell accessories for it as well?
Can they ship Overseas, as I live in Australia?
Thanks heaps...