Differences in American and European cars

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the differences in American and European cars? I have to write a paper on this topic... thanks.

-David

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I know (may not be accurate) Eruopean cars are smaller becaue they have small streets and high gas prices. Not many SUVs. The higher class cars are mostly RWD, and american cars are just now starting to go back to RWD. The paints used on cars like BMW is water based as they have higher air polution standards. Now I think the new BMW's have powder coated paint not sure though.

K-T

*Moderator*
BMW's are not powdercoated. ;) They are painted like any other car.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard the paint was baked on now. Not really powder coat but cooked or so. I've heard that about harley gas tanks too. :shrug:

Saaby

Flashaholic
European cars have different safety standards. We require dual airbags, they require headlight washers. We have long commutes here, so American cars have good cup holders. Europeans don't understand why you would want a beverage in your car. American cars tend to have less maintence requirements, but aern't known for their longevity. European cars have higher maintence requirements, but as long as you keep putting money into them they just keep running.

Bonus insignificant point:
Most European cars have a system to give you a warning light on the dash if any of your exterior bulbs are burnt out. American cars just keep you guessing.

None of these are absolutes, of course.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont forget the possibilities of different types of smog requirements when writing the paper. not between cars that are made in, but cars that are USED in, the different countries.
california especially for a time had different requirements, that meant a car you owned, in one country, could not be registered to drive in ca, till it met those requiremnts.

(wouldnt hurt to spell better than i do on the paper either ) :)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The steering wheels on the right in most european countries right?

Geologist

Enlightened
OK I deal with American and European Spec cars on a pretty regular basis.

forget most of the previous comments and then remember them again. The differences are changing all the time. I once tried to ascertain the differences between an American and European Spec model car (the same model) - even the manufactuerer couldn't help.

However, here is what I know to be generally true:

European Cars:
At this time most European Cars are required to have more reflectors and better (general terms) lighting systems. THe European models have extra reflectors on the rear as I recall. I believe Dual Air Bags are required. I am not sure if it is a requirement yet, but ABS seems to be standard as well. The odometer is in Kilometers/Hour. The Air Pressure plate in the door soest not list PSI but metric (bar?).

Contrary to popular belief, there are many SUVs in Europe. You don't see that monster crazy versions, but as expensive as gas is here (think closer to $6.00 a gallon currently) people still drive them. There are also a lot of TINY cars like the SMART Car and others (VW Lupo, etc) that get 60 mph. You see some electric cars in the larger cities.

All cars have locking gas caps that I've ever seen (at least growing up in the US this was not standard).

Gas mileage is measured by stating how many liters of gas is required to go 100km. So when people say they have a 5 liter car, they are talking about mileage not engine size!

Because Diesel fuel has always been less expensive (probably due to taxes), you see a lot of diesel cars on the road.

Most people have tires that are rated for higher speeds (here in Germany). It is not uncommon for everyone to be driving 90 mph or faster (I've seen motorbikes cruizing at ~140 mph, cars ~120) on the AUtobahn. The difference (in contrast to lets say Atlanta) is that it is not as chaotic, people tend to follow the rules, people pass on the left and use their turn signals.

Here in Germany, vehicle inspections are very intense, and due to this you don't see too many old junky cars (like mine) on the road.

American cars always have cool drink and coin holders. Many more items are options via standard, and the sticker price is before they tack on a bunch of mysterious charges (German cars the tag IS the total price).

Hope this helps!

Geologist

Enlightened
Oh and only England and Malta have the incorrect ( ;) ) steering wheel in European area (I think). Also, never seen a requirement for headlight washers.....

Oh and generally European cars have a towing point at the front of the car and the mirrors fold in (larger cars) to reduce width.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, this deserves a book, not just a paper.

I think the right side steering wheel is kind of a British phenomena. Maybe Australia.

I know the British Virgin Islands traffic is British style, but most of the vehicles are Asian with left steering. Makes passing a real adventure.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geologist said:
Oh and only England and Malta have the incorrect ( ;) ) steering wheel in European area (I think). Also, never seen a requirement for headlight washers.....

Oh and generally European cars have a towing point at the front of the car and the mirrors fold in (larger cars) to reduce width.

Exactly... I actually went to malta on vacation... anyway, there are no light washer requirements at all.

FACTS would be appreciated... remember, I am writing a paper on this.

-David

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geologist said:
Because Diesel fuel has always been less expensive (probably due to taxes), you see a lot of diesel cars on the road.

It definitely is due to taxes.

Years ago, European countries decided that to reduce their dependency on imported oil, they would encourage the use of diesel engines (which, on average, get 30% better mileage ...my VW Golf Diesel gets 58% better mileage than the gas version). To do that, they changed the way that fuel is taxed. The bottom line is that gasoline is taxed at a higher rate than diesel fuel.

It worked.

40% of the new car market in Europe is diesels. Only 1% of the new cars in the U.S. are diesel (almost all VWs...plus a few Mercedes and the Jeep Liberty SUV in diesel). This has produced an additional benefit. Germany is now a world leader in renewable fuels. They use biodiesel; diesel fuel made from the rape seed plant (similar to the canola vegetable oil you can buy in stores). In fact, Germany uses 100 times per person the biodiesel that we use here in the U.S.

Regular vegetable oil is too thick to go thru the fuel injectors of a modern diesel. It is glycerin (like in hand soaps and shampoos) that makes it too thick. They remove the glycerin and chemically bond in about 22% alcohol and you've got a diesel fuel made from vegetable oil!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Geologist said:
At this time most European Cars are required to have more reflectors and better (general terms) lighting systems. THe European models have extra reflectors on the rear as I recall.

Having owned several british cars and bikes, I have to imagine this is a backlash to some truely horrendous electrical systems. My Austin American needed reflectors for when the lights would dim due to a dodgey generator.

Then there was the Lucas wiring on the bikes. Yuck!

:) Good memories!

Daniel

Saaby

Flashaholic
My mistake.

Headlight washers are required on all cars sold in Sweden -- not all of Europe.

All European cars equipped with HID lights, however, have to be self-leveling and have a washer system. There is no such requirement in the US (For self leveling. Not sure about washer).

Philips Page: To comply with European legal requirements Xenon light can only be fitted to your car in combination with an "automatic leveling device" and a headlamp whindshield clearning system".

and from section 6.2.9 HERE

"Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45. (9)"

Lighting laws in the US and Europe are different. Some googling around with UDOT vs ESPEC european lighting standards, and you'll start to understand why HID glare is such a big problem in the US.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this is a fact or not, but aren't there way fewer automatic transmissions on European cars when compared to American cars? I remember a few years ago there was a tv show about people learning to drive in England. Every one of the cars fetured were stick-shift. These people had a tough enough time lerning the rules of the road and how to merge, turn properly, etc., and now they have to also deal with learning the ins and outs of dealing with a clutch, shifting gears. No wonder some people had a tough time learning to drive. Give those people auto transmissions, and maybe they'd find learning to drive alot easier.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Might be helpful to indicate what type of paper this is for and what level of detail you need as well as asking a more specific question. Are you looking for what TENDS to be different between US and EU vehicles, what is the difference in legal requirements, or what requirements tend to be mutually exclusive?

Local homologation requirements (EU pattern headlights, E-Marked glass, Breakaway mirrors, Pedestrian Protection, LATCH, CHMSL, Frontal offset vs FMVSS208, etc) are very different from local customer preferences (RHD/LHD, Headlamp washers, cupholders, MT/AT, Recirc, etc.

There are tons and tons of differences but it's pretty easy to summarize the main ones that somebody would notice, like repeater lights, rear fogs, and recovery hooks rather than emissions, drive by noise, hill holding, etc.

I'd be happy to help - I did export planning for a few years at Ford and know a little about the regulations and process.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
From what I understand, in UK there are two types of licenses. One that allows you to drive all cars and one that allows you to drive automatic transmission cars only.......

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread. Almost gives me more questions than answers. I thought Europe taxed gas as a way to limit emissions to make folks buy small efficient cars and diesels. I was also of the understanding diesels were way worse at making nitrousoxides and particle exhaust than any gas car. Therefore, my understandin was that Europe has less strick emission and safety standards, so their cars were smaller and diesel powered giving more mpg than any American car as we had harder safety and emission standards. Kind of why the original VW Bug was still manufactured in Mexico up til y2k as they had less strick emissions and safety standards

I dont want to cause any hard feelings, but it was my understand up to recently that the Germans made better made cars than America ever could. The Britts on the other hand with their MG and a few other cars were poorly made and or required more service. Not to mention electrical problems on a few early VW electrical systems and the Prince of Darkness who wired the early 80s Jaugars.

Was rather fun watching the guy on top gear a few weeks ago on the discovery channel drive a diesel jaugar. I didnt know they made a diesel car. Of course when he shifted into 2nd gear at 110 mph it entered a fault mode and had to pull it over to reset it or something.

Latest posts