Glo-Toob, anyone used one?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Cuba,

Depending on what you intend to use it for... I have the white version of the FX, and its pretty nice and all, but in terms of brightness, don't expect too much out of it. As a tent light or small area light, its works great, but don't expect it to be super bright. As to the other functions, the strobe, pulse, SOS, etc, it works great, as the blinking is bright and noticable enough to attract attention. I use mine as a rear bike light sometimes. Apart from that, as an area marker it also works great as well. You should get one and check it out for yourself, that's what us flashaholics do, after all right? :naughty:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use them to identify who ever is in charge of an incident at night. It solved the problem of of trying to find him when all you know is "he's over by the engine."

They are not designed to be used for anything more than markers but the blue one I have is to bright to keep on when I walk at night.

I have not checked lately but they mentioned a AA conversion unit that they were going to produce.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a blue one...don't spend the extra money for the "sterile" (unlabelled) version...I stripped the label off of mine just fine. I keep it on my keyring unless I have a need to put it elsewhere...that's why I keep it on my keyring -- so I'll have it when I need it. :D

I think tadgear used to have a set that came in a Pelican or Otter box. NICE set...pricy though. I don't think they have them anymore. I need to get a red one now...gee, thanks for reminding me! Ha!

JM-99

notrefined

Enlightened
The day they make one that can take a lithium battery of any type, I'll be all over it...until then, it's a loser to me. If I can't leave it in my pack, in my vehicle, and know it's gonna work despite extremes of temperature, it doesn't do me any good.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one of each and I like them. I pealed of the labels and they look better to me. They are great markers but they can also be used for limited area lighting and the white or amber are fine for tent reading though I think the red is the brightest.

-LT

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best marker / blinker I ve used so far. I ve got the blue FX and thinking of getting the red one as well so both can strobe simultaneously like a police blinker.
Highly visible and waterproof.
I attached it at the back of my raincoat's collar during heavy storm while ridding my bike.

firefly99

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
The best marker / blinker I ve used so far. I ve got the blue FX and thinking of getting the red one as well so both can strobe simultaneously like a police blinker.QUOTE]

That what I have. RED & BLUE FX. I will turn both to strobe simultaneously, in the event of my car breakdown by the roadside.

notrefined

Enlightened
using blue and red strobes (assuming you're not a police officer) is both 1) illegal virtually everywhere in the US, and 2) pretty much assures that no one is gonna stop to offer assistance. When do the police ever need assistance from a passing motorist, after all?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not illegal to own a red strobe and a blue strobe. If you were to impersonate a police vehicle or have blue and red strobes mounted on the car is another story. If you wanted someones attention if your car was broken down, I would hope that as a fellow CPF'er that you have the proper illumination tool to wave down a passing vehicle.

These Glo-Toobs are markers/beacons only. No one pulls over just because someone has some blinking lights on or near their car but it may prevent a passerby from smashing into their car. Waving a flashlight will work much better for getting someone to pull over.

I own some of these Glo-Toobs and they are fun to use and handy in some situations.

Jeff

notrefined

Enlightened
xpitxbullx said:
It's not illegal to own a red strobe and a blue strobe. If you were to impersonate a police vehicle or have blue and red strobes mounted on the car is another story.

Jeff

Exactly....using them together, on or near your vehicle, whether moving or stationary (or broken down) on a public thorhoughfare, constitutes impersonating a police vehicle. Using a flashlight to flag down other vehicles while doing so would only make matters worse by reinforcing that impression. You'd end up with alot of explaining to do, and a broken-down car may be the least of your problems at that point. Your transportation, however, may well be arranged for you.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hazard lights = OK
Hazard lights + flashlight = OK
Flashlight = OK

Forget using the Glo-Toobs in this situation...

...unless you are forced to walk down the road and don't want someone to hit you because they can't see you (unless they are drunk in which case they may be drawn to the light.)

Jeff

notrefined

Enlightened
What he said ^^^ :thumbsup:

I'll add that glo-toob's and other strobes or marker lights are also OK, though probably less effective than your vehicle's hazzard lights....just please don't use the red and blue glo-toobs together thinking it's a good idea because you'll look like an emergency vehicle. You *will* look like an emergency vehicle, which is a very bad idea. Any other color is fine.

Last edited:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my green FX a lot. I use it as a marker for my pack, and that's really the type of use it's intended for.

One thing I have noticed is that it will turn on by itself if it is bounced around long enough, and that's a pretty fair bet if you're carrying your pack for any distance. It's pretty simple to deal with, but I find myself checking it often. I'd prefer to just leave it clipped to my pack rather than have to dig it out when I need it. I'm sure that a piece of electrical tape would cure it. Even if it is the only flaw I find with it, it is an annoyance IMHO.