PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

Default Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownVT

Some Fenix L1(P)'s can be put into momentary ON mode quite easily as reported on page 2 of this thread -

Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium) ( 1 2 )

direct links to posts #39 and #54
    but didn't work for one post #58

The standard momentary capable switches on the newer Nuwai Q3's might not be quite as desirable for some people -

checkout Post #13 of this thread - Concept Behind Reverse Clicky
    which explains how the new Q3 "tactical" clicky switch works -

QUOTE - Ray_of_Light wrote: "In the reality, Nuwai has "modified" the reverse clickie. It is still a reverse clickie as it is mechanically built, but has an ADDITIONAL leaf contact inside, that closes when you start pushing in the switch. So you have:
    PUSH - ON - CLICK - OFF - ON AGAIN. The same happens when you do the opposite cycle, with the result that if you turn the Q3 on and off rapidly, it looks like a strobe light. I felt fooled."

it doesn't sound that good to me.... is yours like that?
    No, I have three Q3's. One old style switch, two w/tactical switch. The tactical switches behave exactly as they should. There may be slight blink on full activation of the switch, but, it is inconsequential. The actual functioning of the switch is flawless. I believe someone on CPF explained that the reverse click switch is actually a more reliable design than normal click. Probably lower resistance, less lossy. If that is so, then didn't Nuwai incorporate the best of both worlds.
    So if the Q3 switch is a reverse click w/momentary, isn't it really better than normal click?
    Functionally and practically the switch performs perfectly.
    It is certainly better than carrying your formerly waterproof flashlight around half-unscrewed.
    And as for so-called 'twist mode' . . . I HATE TWIST MODE!
    oops, sorry for yelling.

Rolleye11 Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

alard wrote: "The tactical switches behave exactly as they should. There may be slight blink on full activation of the switch"

Your description of the "slight blink" means that it is the modified reverse clicky - quickly clicking the light fully on then clicking off means the light will seem to "strobe", as the clicky will go through the blink stages - as described by Ray_of_Light.
    This, by definition, is not exactly normal behavior for a normal tactical switch.

Some people don't like the blink, as evidenced in that referenced thread and elsewhere in CPF. Whereas some are not bothered by this.

If one uses the light mostly in momentary mode then this may not be an issue.

As always YMMV

alard wrote: "And as for so-called 'twist mode' . . . I HATE TWIST MODE!
    oops, sorry for yelling."

quickly clicking the light fully on then clicking off
    Doesn't the 'momentary' feature of the Q3 switch obviate the need to do that?

Ohgeez Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

alard wrote: "Doesn't the 'momentary' feature of the Q3 switch obviate the need to do that?"

I might not disagree with you.

But the simple fact remains it is not exactly a normal tactical switch -
    It blinks when clicking on and clicking off - which does bother some people....
    and I do understand YMMV.

alard wrote: "Doesn't the 'momentary' feature of the Q3 switch obviate the need to do that?"

I might not disagree with you.

But the simple fact remains it is not exactly a normal tactical switch -
    It blinks when clicking on and clicking off - which does bother some people....
    and I do understand YMMV.
    Sorry, I was just trying to understand why this artifact was reported as a supposed negative about the Q3, when, in actual use it is such a non-issue.
    Performance is unaffected by a brief blink.

These flashlights is for usin', not for lookin' at.

The Q3 is a great light, wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from obtaining one or three.

Rolleye11 Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

alard wrote: "Sorry, I was just trying to understand why this artifact was reported as a supposed negative about the Q3, when, in actual use it is such a non-issue.
    Performance is unaffected by a brief blink."

Like you, I shouldn't have to apologize for stating a fact - some people obviously are bothered by the blink - for whatever reason -
    what may seem ok to one person, may bother the *#@! out of someone else -
    eg: a lot of people like Twisty switches - and your own posted outburst about them -
    performance is unaffected by a twisty switch either, and some consider it a very reliable switch (this includes SureFire and their owners)....

please do remember YMMV -
    otherwise we'd all be buying exactly the same one flashlight.

Flashaholic*

I had both, but just traded off my QIII for a knife. I kept the Fenix.

Blades
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Flashaholic

Ooo Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaction
    I got 2 L1P,1L1+ and 2 Q3. So why buy 1 each? buy 2!
    One of my fenix L1p got a warmer tint than the Q3 but throw further, The other L1p got a very White tint almost as white as the L1+.
    Q3 give out more overall output, it will just light up the whole room!

Made similar purchases, except I didn't get the fenix L1+.

I ordered my second fenix L1P from JS Burly's just last week and guess what, the shipping label was the same as the shipping label from the groupbuy by David Chow aka 4sevens....

The only difference was, I paid $44 for the JS Burly's and $38 for the groupbuy.

Luckly (or depends on one really sees it) I got the L1p from JS Burlys right before it was removed from the site. Now JS Burly's just has the non-premium version.

Any you can't really go wrong with either the Q3's or the Fenix L1P's....

In a sense they would compliment each other.... My "special" green Q3 with slightly off center emitter (didn't affect the beam at all) is stored in my car's glove compartment, and the black Q3 goes with me almost everywhere.

To feed the Q3's, I bought 2 dozen surefire 123's...along with surefire 123a carriers (well, the second six battery carrier is on its way...should have gotten a six instead of a 4 in the first place...same price...but you got to live and learn right..especially with the new flashoholic bug....)

I'm now edc'ing one Fenix L1p and will probably give the second one to cousin (luckliy I got a boxed version from JS Burly's). Oh, I decided on feeding the fenix with lithium AA's for the time being... will be going to energizer 2500mAh NiMH rechargables when I burn through the lithiums..

I'd only wish the switch on the fenix L1P's were normal clickies like those of the Q3's... I like the more "tactical" style of momentary on at slight touch of switch and constant on at full depress/let go. ... it's all good though...
    Last edited by VF1Jskull1; 10-05-2005 at 10:55 AM.
    Darkness is the lack of light.

Flashaholic*

In case anyone is interested, the Nuwai Q3 is on sale for $39.95 at:

http://store.advancedmart.com/nu3waluposil.html
    Fenix L1P, L2D CE, L0P SE, Zebralight Q5 CREE headlamp, Huntlight ft02x, Tikka XP, PT Aurora & Eclipse 2, SL ProPoly 4aa Lux and Twintask 1L, Inova X1, Dorcy 1aaa, MagLED 2AA, Nuwai HLX-712L, Akoray K-106 AA, Rayovac 1AA headlamp.

Flashaholic*

Flashaholic

Grinser2 Re: Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

Quote Originally Posted by joema
    I bought my 2 Nuwai Q3's during a special for $29.00 bucks a pop back in late july from amondotech.
    Darkness is the lack of light.

So who has the HA-III version Q3?
    I saw it just last week and now can't find it.
    And does anyone know of a AA battery tube option?
    Outside of a dog -- a book is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Hey guys, i know these lights might be in different classes and use different battery types, but how do they compare next to the TW0H JIL CR2 1.3W UP, when it comes to brightness/throw/tint/beam type? I only care about the overral quality on my EDCs, so battery type isn't an issue.

Thx in advance

Flashaholic*

I believe the beam from the JIL 1.3W looks nicer than both the fenix and Q3 except for that faint wire with the JIL lights. The Fenix is using a LUXI where as the JIL is using a LUXIII.

If i were to choose, i'd get them all! They are so cheap anyways! Give them to friends, spread the flasaholicism (sp).

Quote Originally Posted by goldserve
    I believe the beam from the JIL 1.3W looks nicer than both the fenix and Q3 except for that faint wire with the JIL lights. The Fenix is using a LUXI where as the JIL is using a LUXIII.

If i were to choose, i'd get them all! They are so cheap anyways! Give them to friends, spread the flasaholicism (sp).
    Alright thx!

But which one is brigther and has the better finish?

Flashaholic*

Sorry,

I don't have an original JIL 1.3 anymore. I've gutted all mine out and put in FLuPIC modules! So cool!

From specs, the JIL is driving the light around 350ma to 400ma which is defintely brighter than the Fenix. The side spill is almost exactly the same due to the same reflector size.

I would consider the JIL as a keychain light and the Fenix as a belt light. You may even want to consider the JIL DD + FLuPIC. Multilevel birightness and almost half as short comparing to the Fenix.

I prefer the finish on the Fenix over the JIL.
    Both are supposed to tbe be HA-III (if we're talking Fenix L1P) but the JIL is more smooth and shiny while the Fenix is matte and semi-rough.
    Outside of a dog -- a book is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Flashaholic*

I do have a problem with the Fenix finish...i did manage to scrape it with keys and it's showing some silver..not aluminum silver but very dull in colour.

Could be something coming off your keys?

Flashaholic*

Well, I instpected it closer and tried as hard as i can to rub it off. It does seem like the black colour of the HA3 has been scratched off but the HA3 layer is still there.

I agree, the JIL HA3 isn't perfect as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12