Nuwai Q3 or Fenix L1P?

alard

Newly Enlightened
Got my Fenix L1P v2.5 a few days ago.
Seen a few posts about preference over a Q3.

Reasons I still prefer to carry my Q3s:
1. Got big hands, the Q3 is more comfortable, the L1P actually feels too small.
2. Prefer the new tactical switches on my Q3's over the L1P reverse clickie.
3. My 3 Q3's are all brighter and whiter than L1Ps which have a green tint.
4. I have never put a thumbprint on the lense of a Q3, know what I mean?

Comments?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
alard wrote: "Got my Fenix L1P v2.5 a few days ago.
Reasons I still prefer to carry my Q3s"

All very valid points of preference -

BUT this is CPF -

One should get BOTH
icon10.gif

since they are both amazing,
and both great value for money........

So get BOTH
icon10.gif

Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)

with direct comparison beamshots with the Q3
and other flashlights.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. My Fenix L1P v2.5 has one of the whitest beams and compares very closly with KI LE beamwise.
It really is an apples and oragnes senairo here.
The Fenix L1P v2.5 is a 1 watt light. The Q3 is a 3 watt light. The Q3 is a totally different kind of light. One has a clip (lousy clip IMHO) one dosen't. One uses AA cells the lithium Cr 123a's. That in and of itself can make a huge difference. a $1.00(easy to get) vs $2.00 (hard to find)or more for a battery. Both can use a rechargable cell.
The difference in output is major. The Q3 just puts out way more light that is all there is to that.

No these lights are totally different. I think the Fenix could be compared to the inova X1.Same basic form function and price.
I am not sure why the close comparson with the Q3 except for price. Each light is in the $30.00 range. I look at the Q3's as being the perfect glove box light.
Yaesumofo

alard said:
Got my Fenix L1P v2.5 a few days ago.

Reasons I still prefer to carry my Q3s:
1. Got big hands, the Q3 is more comfortable, the L1P actually feels too small.
2. Prefer the new tactical switches on my Q3's over the L1P reverse clickie.
3. My 3 Q3's are all brighter and whiter than L1Ps which have a green tint.
4. I have never put a thumbprint on the lense of a Q3, know what I mean?

Comments?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
...difference in output is major...The Q3 just puts out way more light that is all there is to that...
You're saying a stock Q3 with a CR123A puts out WAY more light than an L1P?

Flashlightreviews tested a Q3 to put out 1900 output units, which is roughly equal to 27 lumens.

I agree the L1P's 46 lumen spec is optimistic, but from my use of both lights, I'd put them roughly equal in overall brightness. Both are great lights.

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
"One has a clip (lousy clip IMHO) one dosen't."

The Nuwai Q-III has a clip that makes it very usefull as a head lamp. Anyone who owns a Baseball Cap can clip it on and go.

I am still waiting for my L1P from J S Burly.

Steve

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L1P v2.5. In a word....WOW! I *NEVER* knew that one AA battery could produce this kind of light.

Like Yaesumofo said, doing an apples to apples comparison, this light eats the Inova X1 for breakfast, relegating it to a novelty item.

Being a light newby and lacking the depth of vocabulary required to properly describe this light - I will just say that for now, this is my edc. AND now that I have had a small taste of this drug, I know what you addicts crave. I can't wait for my HDS U85GT!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about output units. Wtf is an output unit? Please don't answer, I don't care. I will stick with lux and lumens.

I can say this. On my meterman LM631 at 1 meter the q3 puts out 630 lux
the Fenix L1P PUTS OUT 410 LUX on old batteries.
With fresh batteries these lights put out 780 lux on the q3 and 590 lux for the fenix all at 1 meter.
THE Q3 spits out more light than the L1P.
This is non scientific. I didn't average 3 or more tests.
If you really need accurate results, I will do it again with new batteries and several runs averaged for an accurate result.
Yaesumofo

joema said:
You're saying a stock Q3 with a CR123A puts out WAY more light than an L1P?

Flashlightreviews tested a Q3 to put out 1900 output units, which is roughly equal to 27 lumens.

I agree the L1P's 46 lumen spec is optimistic, but from my use of both lights, I'd put them roughly equal in overall brightness. Both are great lights.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,
Were do I get a Fenix L1P 2.5? Sounds like a good light to run on NiMH or Lithiums... are they supposed to be readily available any time soon. Will the P version be a normal offer or is it a one-time only thing?

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
BentHead, JsBurly's will be or already is offering these lights.

I ordered a L1P from 4sevens GB but haven't received it yet.
IMHO, it's ok to compare the quality/craftsmanship of these two lights as they're in the same price range but I'd never expect the L1P to be brighter than a stock QIII.

BTW, increasing the output of the stock QIII is pretty straightforward. You got a lot of choices of features to enhance depending on your needs and/or wallet:
- lens replacement
- LED "
- heatsink " (highly recommended for direct drive)
- reflector "
- CR123 primaries or direct drive with RCR123
- switch (candle mode & hi/lo)
- modding these light is so popular, there are even extensions available to use different batteries.

We'll see whether modding the Fenix will be as easy and popular.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
I don't know anything about output units. Wtf is an output unit? Please don't answer, I don't care...
In case somebody ELSE reading this cares, Flashlightreviews.com overall output units are similar to lumens. 1 overall output unit equals roughly 1.43 lumens. Another name for them is QUPS (Quickbeam's Universal Photonic Standard) units.

Therefore you can approximately determine the lumen output for any flashlight where flashlightreviews.com tested the overall output.

More info:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/output_vs_throw.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/lightbox_output.htm

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 L1P,1L1+ and 2 Q3. So why buy 1 each? buy 2!:)
One of my fenix L1p got a warmer tint than the Q3 but throw further, The other L1p got a very White tint almost as white as the L1+.
Q3 give out more overall output, it will just light up the whole room!

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
I don't have a Q-3 yet, but the Fenix (for me) is the clear winner already, since it runs from a single AA-cell and has great output vs. runtime.
Couldnt agree more. I could get 4pcs of duracell AA for the price of one CR123 over here!

m209

Banned
The problem is the Q3 is not HAIII. I know there was a special run of HAIII Q3s but they were $65. If the Q3 came in HAIII, I would buy the Q3 first.

http://nbox00.tripod.com

Last edited:

redduck

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting that my L1P 2.5 (on 2100 mAh fully charged a few weeks ago) out throws my stock Q3 (on fresh Titanium CR123, though I just learned this is of the worst 123 performers) noticeably, and I think L1P puts out just a little bit more light than my Q3. Since both lights vary in output, so YMMV. To me my Fenix is a clear winner no doubt: brighter both in terms of throw and overall output, longer run time (may be flatter also?), smaller (thinner), use rechargeable AA. I think the essence of this light is "a bright 1xAA light." And this is important to many people here, just look at the excitement created by Proton's potential release, and later by Fenix's actual release. Fenix made a very smart move by producing this light and this should serve as a wakeup call for other manufacturers.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
redduck said:
...Fenix made a very smart move by producing this light and this should serve as a wakeup call for other manufacturers.
You've got that right. Consider the upcoming tail click version of the Peak Caribbean -- it's about the same dimensions as the Fenix, output is roughly the same.

Peak may have a slight edge in output, but many people wouldn't notice it, certainly not for over 2x the price. The Fenix has nearly TWICE the runtime on an e2 lithium AA. The Fenix is just a very impressive product.

Edit: The Peak is fully regulated vs the Fenix semi-regulated, and the Peak is very nicely made, but so is the Fenix.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
But isn't Peak Caribbean a 1 x 123A light at $99? If I want a light runs on single 123 at that price range I'd probably spend $40 more for a HDS Basic 42. :D