Flashlight For Explosive Environment

wmirag

Enlightened
Last night I showed off my light collection to some new friends. Turns out one person was a firefighter who asked if I knew of a flashlight about the size of my SureFire L2 that would be safe to use in an explosive environment.

Does anyone know about the rating system for such lights?

Can anyone suggest a light that would fit the bill?

W.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The Pelican 2020 Sabrelite LED is approved for use in "hazardous locations class 1, Div 1, Groups C, D, T3C ." That statement is imprinted on the side of my Pelican 2020 LED. You might want to check the Pelican website for other approved flashlights.

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the UK eLED 4AA. Not terribly bright, but seems pretty stout. I'm using mine for fire service. It's a good size to keep clipped to the front of my turnout coat.

There have been Pelicans and other dive lights using AAs that have burst spontaneously from problems related to built-up battery gas. I think the UK's vent would alleviate that problem (?). The cure is to store your light with the head unscrewed, which almost no firefighter I know does. Remember to screw down your flashlight as you are strapping on your gear going to a fire? Riiiight. You'll go to use it and it will have gotten filled with water or the batteries will have spilled.

Scott

FNG

Enlightened
http://brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=UND14107

Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA flashlight (Class 1 Div 2) is made of tough ABS polycarbonate. It is the most powerful and versatile flashlight for its size. The push button switch on the UK 4AA makes for easy one hand operation. The UK4AA is the most compact 4AA flashlight we sell. It easily fits into a pocket, glove compartment or tool box. The easy load battery system of the UK 4AA makes changing batteries a breeze. With optional attachments, the Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA flashlight can be mounted on a hard hat or fire helmet. (Note: For dive applications please use the Underwater Kinetics MiniQ40.)

Features of Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA Xenon flashlight:
- high intensity Xenon flashlight, 2.1 watt
- incredibly bright and compact
- 38 lumens
- measures only 6.1" long
- watertight and dustproof
- pushbutton switch for momentary or constant "on"
- ultra high impact ABS construction
- quick load battery system
- easily mounts to work helmets
- runs for up to 5 hours on 4 AA batteries, included
- safety rated, Class I, Div 2
- made in USA

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, here's the complete UL safety rating for the UK 4AA eLED according to the printing on the lamp:

Class I, Div. 2, Group A, B, C, D
Class II, Div. 2, Group G
Class III, Div. 2, T4

Requires Duracell MN1500/PC1500, Energizer E91/EN91 or Rayovac AL-AA/815 Alkalines to carry the rating.

Here's the UL rating for the Streamlight ProPoly Luxeon:

Class I, Div. 2, Group A, B, C, D
Class II, Div. 2, Group F, G
Class III, T3C (max. operating temp. 142 C)

Requires Alkaline batteries for the rating, but does not specify manufacturer or type.

Streamlight and Pelican are the two manufacturers I know with a long history of safety approved lights. Check their product line-up for the required rating.

Last edited:

vic303

Enlightened
Check out Streamlight Propolymer LED lights. They may be approved.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
For explosive environments, it needs to be certified with this symbol;
Ex inside the Hexagon means "Protection against the Explosions"

Most of the Saberlight's by Pelican are certified to the max for hazardous duty.

USARSHOE

Newly Enlightened
Just remember when talking about explosion proof lights that when they are tested by UL the lights are brand new out of the box. After some time in the field and after a few drops onto concrete or other hard surfaces all bets are off as to the lights performance in hazardous atmospheres. When dealing explosive atmospheres in the hazmat world the best choice is to change the atmosphere to a non-explosive one by using ventilation rather than take chances.

Connor

Enlightened
Hi *@*,

theoretically every light that's waterproof to 10m or more is also explosion proof (if water doesn't get in at a positive pressure >1 atm, gass won't either).
One thing to note is that an explosion proof flashlight should have NO metal parts at all on the outside - if it falls down and hits the right surface, it might strike a spark ... :candle:

- Connor

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the pelican's recoil leds will do good for explosive places
e.g.
RECOIL™ 2410
#2460 STEALTHLITE™ RECOIL RECHARGEABLE(same as above but "rechargeable")

or some incan!
#2000 SUPER SABRELITE™(nice light)
#1800 SUPER PELILITE™(2c cell with half lumens of #2000 SUPER SABRELITE™)

or some power incan(of course it is bigger then the L2)
#4300 NEMO™ 8C
#4100 AQUA KING LITE™

Roy

If I remember correctly from my days working in nuclear power plants, flashlights used in explosive enviroments MUST be marked with their rateing on the OUTSIDE of the flashlight! Getting caught with an unrated light was a very bad no no!!!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the HDS claim Intrinsically safe and explosion-proof configuration

bhds

Enlightened
Yes, I think a lot of people are throwing around the term "explosion proof" a little haphazardly. :thumbsdow

Roy said:
If I remember correctly from my days working in nuclear power plants, flashlights used in explosive enviroments MUST be marked with their rateing on the OUTSIDE of the flashlight! Getting caught with an unrated light was a very bad no no!!!

Roy

You can claim "explosion proof" all you want, but if it's not marked on the case of the light...it ain't certified!