Klarus        
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Pictures thread

Default Re: Random Pictures thread

Well, I FINALLY got a chance to try out my 2x tele lens, after a few weeks of wating for the moon to be up at night, with some of it visible, with no clouds blocking it.

Argh, the disappointment.

Without the tele lens:

With the tele lens:

I Photoshopped both of them, sharpening the "without" (with Unsharp Mask) and adjusting the Levels of the "with."

Considering I paid about $20-25 for it in a $50 combo pack, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Am I right in thinking that a "real" (i.e. expensive) lens wouldn't do that?

A real good telephoto should bring the subject closer and give more detail, not less. I like the first picture better. Nice and crisp. Like I was telling my dad the other day. No need for a telephoto lens when you have 15 megapixels. Just crop it to where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15
    Like I was telling my dad the other day. No need for a telephoto lens when you have 15 megapixels. Just crop it to where you want it.
    Maybe 15 MP on a sensor the size of a hand. But not with one the size of a fingernail.... NOISE
    Nuwai ALX-352L - Gladius - Q3 - Arc-AAA P v4 - Glo-Toob FX - Jil 1.3 Up - L1P - L0P - Petzl Myo XP - PT EOS - E1L - Orb RAW NS - Fire~Fly 3 - VG FB1 - P1 - L4 - P1D-CE - L5 - KL3 - KL5 - KL4 - L2D-CE - L0D-CE - P2D-CE - L6 - L1-Cree - EDC120P - NiteCore EX10 + D20-R2

Super Moderator

Double post
    Last edited by DM51; 02-24-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    Resistance is futile...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xygen
    Maybe 15 MP on a sensor the size of a hand. But not with one the size of a fingernail.... NOISE
    Xygen, that sounds like a very interesting professional point you make, and I donít quite understand. Could you explain it to us laymen?

Meanwhile, I donít want to hijack the thread (!) so here are some of my diving photos. The Ray was taken at 60m, the others at shallower depths.

Reef Ė 10m

Shrimp on wreck

Lobster in cave

Eagle Ray
    Resistance is futile...

Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by USPS international services)

Quote Originally Posted by DM51
    Xygen, that sounds like a very interesting professional point you make, and I donít quite understand. Could you explain it to us laymen?

If you have P&S camera, the sensor is usually pretty small (about the size of a fingernail). If you have 15mp in that area, the pixels will be smaller and closer together than when you have a bigger sensor (like in a full frame dslr) with the same ammount of pixels.
    While the higher pixelcount allows for a 'finer grain' in your pictures, it will also increase the possibility of color shifts in adjacent pixels. A well known example of this is the speckled effect in dark areas in pictures.

I'm sorry I can't explain it any better (too much technical terms for a good translation from dutch) but IIRC Wikipedia has some good articles on it. You could also just google for Shadow noise or Luminascence Noise...
    ... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

DFW (and much of Texas and Oklahoma, from what I can gather) has been experiencing a dust storm of sorts today...

For comparison, here's a similar photo taken on a clearer day (frozen precipitation not being the norm in Dallas, of course):

One can typically see much further on a clear day; regrettably, I have no photos with clear skies.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

And it is pretty bad.
    Bad enough to need eye protection outside.

DM51 ... awesome. Truly awesome. Especially the first one and the ray.
    Got more?
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by DM51
    First: Great pictures DM51!!!

Basically carbine15 is right: more megapixel -> more detail -> no expensive and big zoom lenses needed.
    But to build a affordable camera (or to maximize profit) manufacturers install very small sensors. Small sensors lower rejects, too. On the other side, manufactures have to keep up with the megapixel race. So they build small senors with a lot of pixels, which often results in noisy pictures. You can read more about noise here or here.
    But small sensors have one advantage: The smaller the sensor, higher the magnification of the attached lens. That's why we can see so many superzoom cameras like the Lumix FZ50, the one that tigerhawk used.

IMHO one needs DSLR-camera to shot really good pictures of moon. DSLRs afford larger sensors and interchangeable lenses.

So... To take better pictures of the moon, we have two option:
    1. Traveling to the moon and taking pictures from its orbit...
    2. Or using more expensive cameras and lenses to take pictures like this one:

Shot with a Nikon D200 + Astro Physics Starfire EDF 1.600 f/8
    Last edited by Xygen; 02-24-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    Nuwai ALX-352L - Gladius - Q3 - Arc-AAA P v4 - Glo-Toob FX - Jil 1.3 Up - L1P - L0P - Petzl Myo XP - PT EOS - E1L - Orb RAW NS - Fire~Fly 3 - VG FB1 - P1 - L4 - P1D-CE - L5 - KL3 - KL5 - KL4 - L2D-CE - L0D-CE - P2D-CE - L6 - L1-Cree - EDC120P - NiteCore EX10 + D20-R2

Super Moderator

Thanks, Bernie.
    Here are some more:

Leaf fish. Only about 3 inches long. Not easy to find, very well camouflaged. You can make out its head near the bottom right of the picture, tail near top left.

Barracuda shoal

Another Eagle Ray

Turtle
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by EngrPaul

LOL!!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xygen
    Basically carbine15 is right: more megapixel -> more detail -> no expensive and big zoom lenses needed.
    But to build a affordable camera (or to maximize profit) manufacturers install very small sensors. Small sensors lower rejects, too. On the other side, manufactures have to keep up with the megapixel race. So they build small senors with a lot of pixels, which often results in noisy pictures. You can read more about noise here or here.
    But small sensors have one advantage: The smaller the sensor, higher the magnification of the attached lens. That's why we can see so many superzoom cameras like the Lumix FZ50, the one that tigerhawk used.

IMHO one needs DSLR-camera to shot really good pictures of moon. DSLRs afford larger sensors and interchangeable lenses.
    Many thanks, Xygen, very useful info - and that is an AMAZING moonshot!

Maybe Iíll now have to get a DSLR Ė but the u/w housings for them are fiendishly expensiveÖ
    Resistance is futile...

DM...........you might research Canon's D20 (have had one for over a year).

Canon had come out with a D30 and there are still D20's avaiaible at very reasonable prices for the quality IMO.

If I can help with any questions, feel free to PM me.

jeffb

A late winter storm of ice followed by snow from a few years back.

It was almost surreal. I had to walk out the back door because the front door was frozen shut. Then an hour later, it was all melted and it was about 50 degrees.

Indiana weather.

"That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

Not artistic at all, but everytime I look at this, I get the feeling I was working on the set of Last Man Standing.

My admittedly feeble attempt at an artistic car shot.

One of my favorite houses here in central Indiana. Built in 1994, I believe.

Last edited by cratz2; 02-24-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess
    DFW (and much of Texas and Oklahoma, from what I can gather) has been experiencing a dust storm of sorts today...
    Yup. We had gusts of up to 70mph here in Lubbock.

DM51, great shots & very vivid colors especially the first set. Where were they taken & what kind of setup did you use?

cratz2, are those 1911s? You need to wash your car & hopefully you weren't lying in the middle of the road with your back to traffic! Are you sure that that house wasn't built in 1894?
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Super Moderator

jeffb - thanks, I'll look at the Canon D20 but I'm not sure I can afford a new and better camera right now as I'm BOUND to want to get an u/w housing for it and that would be exxppennssiivve!

cratz2 - your winter pics are beautiful and crisp, and you have somehow got amazing depth of field in that photo of the car Ė must have been an ultra-wide-angle lens (18mm?) And Iím not just being polite because of your very impressive collection in post #377 !!

flashlight Ė my diving pics are from the Caribbean. My camera is an amateur point-&-shoot Sony Cybershot, in its Sony underwater housing (rated to 40m but I have taken it down to 80m without problems). Not the latest model, no external flash/strobe, just a basic set-up.

There is a trick with u/w photography which I discovered myself quite by accident. It goes against what the u/w photography experts advise, and it is a bit of a cheat trick, but it works like a dream and the difference it makes is astounding. But I donít want to hijack this thread or bore non-divers stiff, so maybe Iíll think about starting a diving photos thread at some stage.
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2
    Not artistic at all, but everytime I look at this, I get the feeling I was working on the set of Last Man Standing.
    A modern piece on the evolution of the 1911?
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Yes, 1911s. All modern 1911A1s actually.

House was built in either 1993 or 1994. My wife and I toured it one day. We went past it all the time going out to her parents and one day we stopped in and basically complimented them on it. Turns out, the owner was the architect and contractor. The wife gave us the tour. LOTS of niceties. They had twins and their room was actually had shorter ceilings than the rest of the house. There was a staircase that just went up to about a 4x5 landing with nothing but a rocking chair, a table, a lamp and a window to look out. I don't know if you know how much staircases cost to build, but that was an expensive sitting area.

And I think all the 900x600 shots I posted were actually taken by a Kodak 2.1MP camera with zero manual settings. Just a point and shoot. I bought it off ebay on clearance as a last years model for about $45. Very decent camera other than macro and no manual settings.

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess
    A modern piece on the evolution of the 1911?

Cheesy quasi-noir with Bruce Willis, 2 1911s and a seemingly endless supply of mags and ammo. Plus, somehow, he has the magic bullets that make the guys go flying backwards when shot. And not in a comic way such as Sin City.

"jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by cratz2

Cheesy quasi-noir with Bruce Willis, 2 1911s and a seemingly endless supply of mags and ammo. Plus, somehow, he has the magic bullets that make the guys go flying backwards when shot. And not in a comic way such as Sin City.
    Magic bullets indeed. The Mythbusters did a segment on how that effect is achieved using a jerk suit. They were unable to find a real projectile that could produce the "blown away" effect though.

Flashaholic

Yeah... it's simple physics, damn Newton!

If a gun with a traditional cartridge can blow someone back several feet when hit, then the shooter would experience similar recoil. More actually, because the shooter will feel the full brunt of the recoil while the recipient will only experience the force until the bullet exits his body.

I forget where I saw them, but have a look around for a cartridge called the .577 T Rex. I would never shoot one, but I've shot a 375 H&H and a custom very lightweight 300 Win Mag and both were beyond what I would call brutal. I put three rounds through the 375, but only one through the 300. I honestly think it slightly damaged my eyes as things looked slightly reddish-tinted for a few days after shooting it.

I dislike youtube, but this is a compilation video of folks shooting the 577. Most aren't even able to keep hold of the rifle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ifHkCabYg1I

My .22 GAMO is just as powerful

Melted PSU

http://dk.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RgD3...48171428216461
    Last edited by Twellmann; 02-26-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    P3D-CE
    other projects in the making

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast