Help me pick out my parents christmas present...

Prairie

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, i'm new here but hopefully will stick around for a little bit.

I'm new to all this flashlight stuff as well but I am in the market for a couple of flashlights to get for my parents for christmas....

This is what I need:

1. The best keychain flashlight for my mom, something she can have on her at all times. (Photon freedom?)

2. A flashlight that would be good in the car for Dad...he is on the road a LOT and I cringe everytime I think about that minimag he has dieing. (No idea.)

3. A light to keep by their bed in case of power outtages, something they can grab and use to look for things around the house. (Possibly a lightwave?)

4. A "main" light for power outtages, maybe a lantern type?

Thanks guys, i'm hoping they appreciate this gift...even if they don't initially I know i'll get a call sometime down the road about it helping them out :)

Philip

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
1) Having shopped for the exact same thing, I decided on a photon microlight II for my mom, becuse it is simpler than the III or freedom. Avoid the PT Pulsar II because it can lock on too easily, IMO, depleating the batteries.

2) I'd go with a yellow Surefire G2 with the new LOTC (Lock Out Tail Cap) for a glovebox light.

3-4) Streamlight's power failure litebox is a bright rechargeable light that automatically comes on when the power goes out.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

greenLED

Flashaholic
1. Get her an Arc AAA. Common battery, reliable, etc....
2. Go with an Underwater Kinetics 4AA LED and pack it with lithiums.. no bulb to break in an emergency! :D and add an Inova 24/7.
3. Opalec Newbeam drop-in for miniMags. Simple, long runtime, and enough light for basic tasks.
4. Have you seen the new RiverRock lanterns available at Target?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philip,
Welcome to CPF!!! You have opened a can of worms with that question. :) Now be prepared for about 100 different lights. :)
I have given all my family members Photon lights. I just gave my Mom a Eddie Baur light from Target. It takes 3 AAAA batteries. Little silver, cute thing. She keeps it in her purse.

I would recommend a LED light for the glove box. Maybe a LED and an incan. The Inova X5t is one I would recommend and carry in my glovebox. Inova makes a bunch of nice lights, and Target is starting to carry them also. The new Dorcy light at Wal-mart is a good choice also.

I keep a PAL Light on my wife's side of the bed. It is always on. There is also an Eternalight that has a constant on feature. Makes it easy to find in the pitch black. Very nice feature IMHO.

Let us know what you decide.

Blades

Prairie

Newly Enlightened
Dad
Inova Microlight
Princeton Tec EOS Headlight
SureFire G2 Nitrolon Yellow

Mom
Inova Microlight
Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA LUXEON

Bedside
Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA eLED Flashlight

Around the house
Princeton Tec Attitude LED Flashlight

Kitchen
Lightwave 4000

That is what I have so far...do you think any changes should be made? Imworried that there won't be a light that is bright enough to say, for example, search for my dog if she gets out at night. Will the Lightwave be sufficient for this or should I ditch the lightwave and get something else?

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Unless you're going to keep your parents supplied with batteries, I'd stick to flashlights that use AAA, AA, C, or D cells! My dad would shoot me the first time he went down to Wal Mart and had to pay $10 for two 123 batteries!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Roy said:
Unless you're going to keep your parents supplied with batteries, I'd stick to flashlights that use AAA, AA, C, or D cells! My dad would shoot me the first time he went down to Wal Mart and had to pay $10 for two 123 batteries!!

That was partly the rationale behind my suggestions.

Welcome to CPF!!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Mom- either Photon Freedom or Arc AAA as others have said.

2)Dad- Fenix L1P- if he already uses a minimag, he will be floored by the fact that this little light totally outguns it, is much smaller, has a longer runtime, and uses half the batteries.
The Fenix is a great "look what new technology is up to" light and its small enough to go with him wherever he goes.

3) The UK 4AA LED is good. I like the "Unilite" version that has an adjustable angled head and a clip on the body that lets it be used hands-free. This is a good general use /house light since it's not TOO bright but decent and has a very wide beam that can illuminate an entire room. Great regulated runtime too. This light could conceivably be used as #4 as well. I'd also consider using an infinity Ulra as #3 if you just want a small, long running light that puts out "enough" light to get around.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Ditto on sticking with 'common' battery sizes like AAA, AA, C.

Also ditto on the River Rock lantern available at Target for $19.99. It puts out a tremendous amount of light and runs for 8 hours on 4 AA batteries.

Not sure what your price range is, but also check the River Rock 2AAA flashlight at Target. Runs on 2 AAA batteries and will outperform and outlast a miniM@g. $9.99.

mfljr

Newly Enlightened
Prairie said:
Dad
Bedside
Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA eLED Flashlight

That is what I have so far...do you think any changes should be made? Imworried that there won't be a light that is bright enough to say, for example, search for my dog if she gets out at night. Will the Lightwave be sufficient for this or should I ditch the lightwave and get something else?

I've got the UK 4aa eLED, and while it's a good light it is not all that bright. I bought a StreamLight ProPolymer 4AA and it's *much* brighter and has better throw. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now I would pass on the UK and just get the SL.

Good luck and remember, "Just buy them both" :D

Mike