What's the best 2xAA flashlight available?

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate opinions on the best available flashlight that takes 2xAA batteries. MUST be TWO AA's so please no Fenix, etc suggestions.

Ta!

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
XM3 is really big and heavy - the Fenix actually has about the same output as my XM3 so I'd say a better (though more expensive) 2xAA flashlight is..... 2 Fenix L1's taped together!

If you're considering custom lights I'd lean towards a minimag with a BB500 T bin or the Lambda mod....

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Jr lux is pretty good light. It was my favorite AA light until the Fenix came and blew it away ! :D It's output is a little more than the Fenix but the throw is the same/less. I haven't tried the new ones with 4hrs runtime... I have an old one.

The 2aa Fenix I'm guessing could have a lot of output if they are so good at getting a bright light with 1AA.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
The Lambda Super Pill in my MM is pretty dawg-gone bright..
icon10.gif

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Entrope said:
MiniMag AA with TerraLUX lamp?

Even with that upgrade, the minimag still has a 2nd grade aluminum body with a mediocre coating, cheap lens and no clickie tailcap, that's far from being close to "the best" AA flashlight. There's a lot of better "straight-out-of-the-box" AA lights avaliable, like the Streamlight JR Luxeon.

The TerraLUX upgrades for minimag are very nice, but for that price, you can get a brand new light instead of doing just an upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't Peak have a 2AA tube for some of their 1x CR123A Luxeon lights? It's not on their web site, but I thought someone said it was currently available if you ask. Sorry can't remember the details.

If you could get a 2AA Caribbean, that would be my favorite.

Otherwise the Streamlight JR is a very nice light. Not a thrower but a nice soft spot, very good quality and handling.

A less expensive alternative (about $12.00) is the Streamlight Propoly 2AA xenon: http://www.streamlight.com/2aapropoly.htm

Edit: OK I remembered AlanP already has the 2AA Caribbean. With alkalines it has limited run time because high current draw from alkalines is very inefficient. With e2 AA lithiums it ran for 1 hr 45 min but got very hot.

By "best" if you mean a nice looking nice handling light with best available output, I think the 2AA Caribbean is probably the best, albeit essentially requires e2 AA lithiums for decent run time.

For less output, broader beam and much better run time, the Streamlight JR is a good choice. 3+ hr run time on 2AAs driving a Lux I emitter is pretty good.

Last edited:

Hans

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Even with that upgrade, the minimag still has a 2nd grade aluminum body with a mediocre coating, cheap lens and no clickie tailcap, that's far from being close to "the best" AA flashlight. There's a lot of better "straight-out-of-the-box" AA lights avaliable, like the Streamlight JR Luxeon.

I seem to remember several people here had problems with the clickies on the Streamlight Jr. That would be reason enough for me not to get one if reliability is an issue.

Hans

BlackDecker

Enlightened
If you're looking for a light with a great throw but not much spill, try the River Rock 2AA for $20 at Target. It uses a 1.5w Jupiter LED.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hans said:
I seem to remember several people here had problems with the clickies on the Streamlight Jr. That would be reason enough for me not to get one if reliability is an issue.

Hans
Well, then just get the 2AACaribbean as Joema said. The SL JR Luxeon is NOT the only 2AA option in the market. As for the clickie problem on the SL Jr Luxeon, i'm pretty sure it belongs to the past, because these lights are already in their second generation now.

Zigzago

Enlightened
One thing the Minimag has going for it is the size of the aftermarket that has developed around it. You can get replacement lenses, reflectors, optics, tailswitches, and all kinds of LED modules. CPF members have done limited runs of HAIII bodies. If you don't mind a little extra effort you can customize it to be exactly what you want as far as brightness, runtime, throw vs. flood, etc.

My current favorite add-ons are the MJLED kit (decent brightness, long runtime) and the Lambda Minipro pil (great brightness, decent runtime). The Madmax Lite sandwich is also a great LuxIII module.

AlanP

Newly Enlightened
joema said:
Edit: OK I remembered AlanP already has the 2AA Caribbean.

You have a good memory! I do have the 2AA adaptor for the Caribbean. The reason for asking about another 2AA light is that I'll only be using the adaptor for the times when I don't have access to AAs, plus there is quite a bit of battery rattle when the light is turned off. PLUS, the pocket body really shows how good the Caribbean is in front of friends :rock:

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the website: www.fenixlight.com . I can't access it here at work, but they do have some pics and info. I don't know when it is suppose to be released.
:)

Blades

balazer

Enlightened
Costco 2AA, baby.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/costco_luxeon2aa.htm
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64986

or Emil's Smartfire 2AA 3W clone
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86016
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89871
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88597

The Streamlight Jr has pretty lousy run-time considering its output and throw, compared to the Costco. The Costco is heavier than it needs to be for a 1-W light, however.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emilion's Smartfire 3 Watt 2AA. Cost $20.00.

dsc008757ib.jpg

Taken at 12"

dsc008936gd.jpg

Left, Smartfire 3 Watt 2AA. Right, XM-3 taken at 10"

dsc008821oa.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're now talking about Emilion's and SL Jr's - as opposed to BEST 2xAA lights, there's this Nuwai, cost $21.50 plus shipping from Amondo Tech.

The best quality 2xAA lights are probably the old Arc LS lights with their 2xAA battery carrier. I prefer the Twisty over the clickie. Also the Longbow Mini/Micro's with their 2xAA tubes. Again, I'm a twisty fan.