Reflectors

kbcamera

Newly Enlightened
hi, sort of new here but been into flashlights/spotlights as a hobby ( or obsession) for quite some time and have plans to build my own spotlight soon. My question is with reflectors. Surefire for example uses a type of reflector that I want. The name I find is cnc machined parabolic reflector. Two questions.
IS this the correct name for that material and where could i go about obtaining a semi large sheet of this material. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and thanks for any help in advance.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
CNC machined means it's being made from a block (billet) of aluminum. A computer is programed to turn the block into a parabolic reflector (have you seen how custom wheels for autos are made?). The reflector is then coated with the shiny and stipled coating. It's not really something you can get in a sheet. I suppose you could get a sheet of aluminum and stamp/pound out a parabolic shape and coat it somehow (??..maybe?), but it's not going to be anything like a Surefire reflector. How large of a reflector are you planning on using? Maybe a reflector from a Thor or similar spotlight would work for you.

Last edited:

nc987

Enlightened
Whats the coating used on the sheet? and how plyable is it when its that thin? Thanks for the info.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously, I think to pound out your own reflector and make it nice, you'd have to be a real metal working artist. I don't know what they coat the reflectors with, but I don't think it's something that can be done well, easily. I think it'd be easiest to just borrow a reflector from another spotlight, or have a custom one made and coated, which isn't going to be cheap at all (no...not at all!).

Maybe one of the resident experts can give some more definitive help. (help!)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been told on this forum (by the maker of McGizmo lights, in his forum) that the many cool reflectors designed for LEDs will not work well with an incandescent bulb, for reasons of geometry.