HDS EDC or Surefire?

takeitotc

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie to flashlights and about to buy either an HDS EDC 42 or 60 vs. a Surefire L1 but can't make up my mind. I read great things about both in the forum and would want to get the most bang for the buck. I know the HDS are very small, are these in general better throw/output/quality/runtime, etc than the Surefire? Anyone done any comparisons between these flashlights? Please help.:huh2:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Both HDS lights and the L1 are regulated lights. They are the same brightness on lithium cells or rechargeable cells.

The HDS blows away the L1 on brightness though.

It is pretty much agreed that VERY few lights compete with the HDS series. I sold over $650 worth of lights when I got my HDS.

HDS (even the basic) has 4 brightness levels.

Between your 2 selected lights, I would get the HDS. I have seen very few people not like them. And those that did not like them, it was usally for some personal preference, not quality/feature issues.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen the L1, but I have the HDS U60 and can tell you that it is one very well designed light that will meet most anyone's needs imo.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, there really isn't a Surefire that matches the bang-for-the-buck as the HDS. The L1 is a nice light (I have both it and an HDS Basic 60), especially because of its user-friendly low/high switch. However, at the same price new, the HDS Basic 42 is significantly smaller and offers much more impressive engineering in its 4 regulated light levels and thermal regulation, etc. I actually find that the Surefire is easier to use, especially if you use low more than anything, but if I were to suggest one over the other, the HDS is the one I'd have if I had to choose between them.

Byron Walter

Enlightened
And I'd go with a 60 lumen HDS. It's very small and does the best job of being all things... bright when you need it... extremely long runtime, if needed... almost vanishes in your pocket.

Just read the online operator's manual and see if you are okay with the basic. I grabbed an ultimate just so I could change one of the settings, which was very easy to do.

takeitotc

Newly Enlightened
Wow, seems like hands down for HDS. So even the lowest HDS model (EDC basic 42) is better than the SF L1 all around? What's the difference between the basic 60 and the ultimate 60?

FredM

Enlightened
I finally got my L4 in and am running it on a 1 cell body. Commonly referred to as a TW4 here it is one nice setup.

If you want a two stag light you can get a tailcap that will get you there.

So cost wise its EDC 60 = 160

L4 = 125
1 cell body = 30
Tail cap mod = 25? (never bought or looked for one)
And then you have a both 2 and 1 cell bodies available.
Again I have never seen a HDS in person so take this advice for what its worth.
From the beam shots I have seen the HDs is more of a spot light and my L4 is total flood and lights up the whole room. Thats more useful for me.

Later!

cslinger

Enlightened
The HDS Basic 42 is the better bang for the buck. That being said I really do have a soft spot for the L1 with the F04 beam shaper. It is KISS simple, hellishly tough and backed by some of the best customer service I have ever seen (No dig or bad experiences from HDS, just going on Surefire history here).

The HDS "feels" more fragile to me, not that it is and I must say I prefer the simpler operation of the L1.

Now all that gushing over the L1 aside what is in my pocket really matters doesn't it, and that is an HDS U42. It just gives me way more options and all with itty bitty size. I like having all that capability on me at all times. The L1s do see more use around the house though.

The Basic 42 is the better light especially price for price but both are really good lights in their own right.

takeitotc

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I'm torn now. I actually ordered the SF L1 before getting any responses and I checked with the company and there's no refunds...just credit (they only sell SF's) :crazy: . I guess I should've waited a bit longer before making my decision, but I don't think the SF L1 will be a terrible choice for a newbie. I now know how addictive this can be and I'll probably be shopping for an HDS EDC 60 in a few months...unless there is a group buy sooner!

Before reading CPF, I thought I was crazy to invest over a hundred dollars for a flashlight, but the many users on this forum and the in-depth reviews helped me justify that I'm not simply buying a bulb in a can (now I just have to convince my wife that a flashlight is as important as a fire extinguisher in emergencies).

Thanks to all the responders.

Also, I'll be getting rid of my 2 AA and 2 D Mags...not worth the conversion. Any buyers?

Y'all rock.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't have either, but will add my $0.02 anyway :D :

All depends on what you'll use it for.
The HDS has a single-button uC switch that might not fit your needs, there are different opinions about switch philosophies. SF is KISS (keep it super simple) while HDS is more or less a very sophisticated design that requires some thought, depending on the model you choose.
I have no idea about ruggedness of the lights, but usually SF wins in this department.
If you are a tint-fanatic, HDS offers a GT version whereas with SF you are stuck with the lottery ...

bernie

P.S.: both seem to be top-notch lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is my favorite maker, but when it comes to 1x123 pocket lights HDS blows Surefire away my opinion says.

The Surefire L1 (new style) has a piece of crap beam my opinion says, with rings and colored bands (each band has a slightly different tint on my L1 and KL1s). The HDS OTOH has good beam quality (few artifects), with a white beam in both the hotspot and corona. Output on high is good with L1, but definitely less than the HDS. Most importantly for me, the HDS is regulated at ALL LEVELS, the Surefire L1 is only regulated on high.

Both lights is very well made, with a slight edge to Surefire in build quality.

I feels that Surefire is the leader with tactical lights, but their pocket lights are not the best out there. HDS is the pocket-light leader, I feel.

cy

Flashaholic
you are comparing the wrong Surefire.

another vote for L4 with KL4 head. as already pointed out you can use a E1E body, McE2s switch and R123 for a powerhouse that's brighter than the U85

also some like mechanical level control, some like electronic level control. each has advantages and drawbacks.

my preferance is mechanical control, yours may be different.

I've got HDS basic 60 GT and several KL4/L4. all my L4's puts out way more lumens than HDS 60.

but it's really not fair comparing a 5watt to a 3watt.

both are excellent lights, cpf solution is to get both :D

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I agree that it is not the right comparison to be making. The KL4 on a 1 cell body is the Surefire product closest to the HDS models from what I have read in reviews etc. I havent gotten the HDS yet but the KL4 is a way different beast than a KL1 head. I like the KL1 head but it just doesnt put out the light that a KL4 does. Another very nice feature, and the one that talked me into getting some Surefires before getting an HDS, is the interchangeability of the Surefire components. It gives you a ton of flexibility to put together a light you need on the spot and take it with you.

E

Emilion

Don't have a HDS yet (just ordered with 3 days shipping...), but I have some SF LED lights. EXCEPT the U2, which is a warm white ( quite warm with an unacceptable donut hole, AND A LITTLE HAIR INSIDE THE BEZEL ! I've e-mailed SF and they said I can send it back for repair ), I love all my SFs.

My first SF is the L5, still working fine after many drops on the floor, fall from bike with me. Usually you won't regret to buy a SF light if you're not married.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
Surefire's were my gateway into the world of high-tech illumination tools and I've found their quality to be top notch. That being said, I'm thinking of no longer purchasing this excellent product and opting instead on the HDS line from now onwards.

After reading some posts on this forum and looking into availability of certain items myself online I can't say that I appreciate or understand some of SureFire's distribution policies. I'm sure this has been mentioned several times on this forum, but why and how an American company, producing an American made product, cannot directly sell said item back to American citizens is beyond me. I've put a lot of thought into this and could prattle on all day, but I was really disheartened to read and then see items such as the L6 porcupine "pork-killer" (where they get these names is beyond me) or even several conventional SF's beyond offered with bezel's exclusivley for foreign markets.

HDS' EDC lights seem to be just as good as SF's if not better and from my research I see no restrictions in availability as is present with SF.

I'm sure if you decide on buying a SF you'll have no complaints and be in possesion of a marvel of engineering. I know this because I own two myself. However until this company decides to emply consumer equity in their market policies, I'm out.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd get the HDS...

Once/if HDS ever comes out with an ability to change their EDC to a two cell body light that will blow away the market... having the abiliity to switch between single cell and dual cell operations will give the user amazing control.. if they will start to use 5 watt LED's and do their amazing regulation that they are known for doing ... it'll compete more than anything else will...

i am basicly just saving my pennys and buying time to see what HDS comes out with...

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of a L1 and an HDS side by side to show the differences? (not a beam shot)

This thread is leaning me towards a HDS, I didn't know something smaller than the E1L/KL4 combo existed.

My E1L(w/KL4) is my daily carry, it gets abused, dropped, wet, used as a hammer and played with continuously, it works like the day I got it.

cslinger

Enlightened
Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of a L1 and an HDS side by side to show the differences? (not a beam shot)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Surefire L1, E1L and my very patriotic HDS EDC U42 #1776
076560.JPG

Head on. (left to right Surefire L1, E1L and HDS EDC U42)
076561.JPG

HDS performing its EDC duty with the rest of the EDC crap.
076562.JPG

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
takeitotc said:
What's the difference between the basic 60 and the ultimate 60?

See this chart: http://www.hdssystems.com/LightComparison.html

I don't use most of the U60 fancy features, but I do use the programmable turn on brightness. The Basic lights always turn on at primary brightness (10 lumens), then you can select the other three levels from there.

The Ultimate lights can turn on at whatever brightness you want, from 0.08 lumens to 60 lumens (for the U60). All four levels can be reprogrammed for whatever brightness you want.

The Ultimate lights can also be set for either momentary on or constant on.