Help me buy my first Surefire; E2L, L4 or ?

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
First off, I haven't been around here for about a year so it's good to see the regular users, and great to see a bunch of new ones. :wave: With Halloween coming up in the next few weeks, it has got me to thinking about which light to carry. Being a true flashaholic, I figured why not buy a new one. My kids get new costumes once a year, right? Plus the neighborhood dads are familiar with me totin' some new fangled lighting doo-dad whenever there's a neighborhood night-time gathering.

I've been doing some horse trading, and should have a little extra cash by the middle of next week and figured I want a Surefire as a new EDC. I've read Doug's review site, Sean's site, Criag's site and searched CPF to the ends of time; and still can't decide between a Surefire E2L or L4. I understand the differences in both but still can't firmly decide. :confused: I've even considered an L1 since a E1L and McGizmo 2 stage cap would be about the same price. I've even thought about the E1L, just because it's small and it might just suit my needs since my prior LSH-P served me well for almost 2 years. I thought about an HDS B42, but want to stick with Surefires due to the modularity and availablity of parts everywhere.

I'm leaning towards the L4 due to the fact I could grab a Vital Gear FB1 body in the future and make a TW4. Then I could buy an K1L in the future and be able to switch heads around depending on the task at hand. But I'm scared that 5w may be TOO much light (I can't believe I said that) for my day to day tasks. (Can't buy a U2 or A2 at this time.)

But would a E2L serve my needs, as I need to spot things about 75 feet away in the back yard at night? Is the spot too much spot for day to day tasks? When does the madness stop? Is the L4's wall of light too much flood or is the ExL too much spot?

It doesn't help either that their is a local Surefire dealer less than 5 miles from my office and he has them all in stock to take this money that's burning a hole in my pocket. I'll end up buying both, but with funds tight and family needs currently; this will be my EDC/primary light for the next year or so.

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences to help push me over the edge? Help...

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powernoodle votes for the L4. Its one of my personal favorites, and the TW4 option makes it even more cool. I think it will impress the trick-or-treaters (and their moms) more than the E2, especially with its floody, "wall of light" nature. And get a Pila 168S and charger for it.

best regards

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have to start with the L4. This is just a fantastic light and of your choices the best all around choice IMO. Yes, it is a flooder, but you can walk into any dark room and light it up enough to see everything. Unless your back yard is very large, it will throw enough and spread enough to get a good look at what is out there.

As you can add things, go with the FB1. These are really well made bodies with a good clicky switch. Also, they look great with the KL4 head. See this thread for some pics: KL Heads With FB1

Next, you might want to add the KL1 head. It is completely different than the KL4, but of course works with either body. I use mine sometimes on my L4 body.

Maybe a McGizmo two stage switch which will also works with either KL head or either body.

Also, if it interests you, Vital Gear makes an incan head for under $25 that takes standard 3v or 6v SF lamp assemblies. Also works on both bodies and makes a pseudo C2 on the L4 body.

Lots of possibilities with these Lego Lights.

Mark

FredM

Enlightened
I have a E1L and a L4. Both are great and the TW4 thing is also pretty cool. i like the 2 cell KL1 head option for the long runtime and nice regulation run. 75 feet might be pushing it for the KL1 in my opinion. Exactly how much light do you want at 75 feet? If I was gonna scan my propery I would grab my scorpion way over either of my LED lights.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really depends on you. Both have excellent modularity. The KL1 has perhaps a little more due to the fact that it has a wider voltage range. For spotting objects more than 20 feet away, the L4 is virtually useless. It is mainly a flood light, and a good one at that. The E2Ls beam is acceptible, if not terrible. Its a great spotter, at a great size, just the spill isnt as useful as an L4s. So you can carry a small cheap flood light for backup when you need it.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is a great flashlight, so long as you buy it with the understanding that its beam is broad and limited mainly to close-range use. (The darker your surroundings, the farther the useful range is.) Pila rechargeable batteries will save you money in the long run, and will prevent your L4 from being relegated to the status of a rarely used, battery-hungry toy.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own and love both the L4 and the E2L, but for my every night needs---mainly poking around outside the house, counting the deer in the front yard, seeing what my dog is up to outside, or even spotting the occasional "surprise guest" (night before last it was a gray fox in the front yard), I carry the E2L.

I think the E2L is one of the least talked about and most underrated SFs. Great size, exc. SF build quality, long clip, and almost 2 hrs. runtime on AW's protected 750 mAh R123s. You can get one for around $95 or less on ebay, or see the current Group Buy thread on SFs from a newly discovered SF dealer. I consider it a terrific bargain.

The beam gets knocked because of the outer rings, which I agree are a small minus, but, frankly, I forget they are there. The beam is a wider than normal spot, so it lights up a good sized area at a moderate distance, and I find that to be very easy on the eyes. I have found the E2L beam to actually be one of the most useful flashlight beams I have experienced. This is a spotter, not a flood, though, and I personally don't think you need to bother with a 2-stage tailcap. (I have a McE2S on my L4, which I find very handy since it's a flood). I do also have an E1e body, so I go with the E1L configuration sometimes for a change of pace, and it's another winner.

I use my L4 when I go on a serious nighttime hike, where I want to really light up the immediate area where I'm walking, particularly if there's a lot of brush, high grass, etc. It's fabulous for that. I'll also take a spotter that's more powerful than the E2L---my current favorite is my 2 1/2 C magmod from fivemega.

But for around the house, "weeknight" duty, I favor the E2L. Let me give you a mundane example. My wife and I will often have our nightly glass of wine out on the back deck. We have a very large yard and a very active Pointer, and we'll make her happy by throwing a tennis ball about as far as I can towards the back. I've tried the L4 to follow her paces, but it practically blinds me with all the light it puts out up close, and yet can't reach the dog as she hunts for the ball 75, 100 or more feet away. The E2L, though, performs this task beautifully.

Two great lights, and I hope you end up with both, but on Halloween night I bet you'll have more fun with an E2L.

Last edited:

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
AFAustin,

Sir, I thank you as that is the information I have been looking for. I've read virtually every post in regards to the L4, L1 (thinking I'd like a low setting) and other posts. But as you stated, there isn't much info out there regarding the ExL series Surefires. Your example with your pointer was well noted as I just got back indoors while my three dogs took their nightly patrol around the property; and I was following them with my Brinkmann LX.

I have been trying to figure out what kind of beam I'm needing, so just guessing it would break down to something like: 20% usage at <3 feet, 60% usage at 3 to 30 feet, and 20% usage at 30+ feet. So based on these usages and distances, would the ExL or L4 work equally well or is there one better than the other? Funny thing is, I bought a Magcharger back in 1987 (still have it today) and I never cared that the beam wasn't in a flood pattern while working on farming equipment less than 3 to 10 feet away. So is a "flood" beam really needed in a close up environment?

Thanks for the input folks, keep the info rolling along.

--Chris

Last edited:

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
saunterer said:
20% usage at <3 feet, 60% usage at 3 to 30 feet, and 20% usage at 30+ feet. So based on these usages and distances, would the ExL or L4 work equally well or is there one better than the other? Funny thing is, I bought a Magcharger back in 1987 (still have it today) and I never cared that the beam wasn't in a flood pattern while working on farming equipment less than 3 to 10 feet away. So is a "flood" beam really needed in a close up environment?

Thanks for the input folks, keep the info rolling along.

--Chris

Based on your stated usage of 80% from 0 to 30 feet, I would have to say the L4. Spring for a 22 ohm McE2s and you will have the perfect light. The L4 is a 'flood' but it still has a nice spot at close range. It just has to be used to be appriciated.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input weaponlight.

Based on everything I've read here and other places, I think I'll go ahead and grab the L4. The more I hear about a "wall of light" the more that sounds like what I'm looking for. If I need to check anything further out, I can always grab my M*gcharger or Brinkmann LX. And the possibility of making a TW4 with a FB1 sounds like that ought to be very cool.

BTW, you're at Fayette-nam? I grew up about near there and used to hang out on base with some friends in the 18th Airborne there many moons ago. Good stuff. And thanks for serving.

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
Saunterer,

I do not think you will be disappointed with your L4. The L4/TW4 is a very versitile combo. My TW4 is built on a E1e body because I already had an E1e.The Vital Gear bodies get high marks here on CPF as well. I normally EDC an A2 and The TW4, but if I know I will be doing alot of close to medium range work I will reassemble the KL4 head and McE2s into the L4 configuration.

I cannot pitch that 22ohm switch enough. They are expensive but more than worth it once you start EDCing your light and really using it. I read alot about them here before I got a chance to use one. The L4 can be too bright for really close work, and the low setting also gives you more runtime.

If you get one, decide what you will mostly use the light for first. The standard is great for tailstanding, but a little bulky for EDC. The flattop is great for pocket carry on a TW4, but not the best for tailstanding. A good compromise for an EDC L4 would prob be the trim, which is compact but tailstands as well.

I am with the 20th EN BDE assigned to the C7 of the 18th Airborne Corps right now in Iraq. Should be back to Fayettevile / FT Bragg in a few weeks.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
use a E2L w/ a beamshaper (F04)... best of both worlds... obvious your not going to be where the L4 is when it comes to spill/flood... but for indoor work the beamshaper is a nice option... also for close work...

however if you have an L4 and want to get a better throw beam... good luck :)

Last edited:

ob1

Newly Enlightened
can't go wrong with an L4 with a McE2s switch and pila 168s batteries. excellent illumination system and you won't look back

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 all the way. When you decide that you need a thrower the you can get a KL3 and an e to c converter.

The KL4 is an amazingly versital head. plus you can make one of these:
DSCN7591smcr.jpg

the one on the right is only like 3" tall.
The vital gear body is amazing in this combination and a rechargeable cr123.

I don't know about you guys. But i certainly get usful light out of the spot of the KL4 over 20' away. Maybe that is just my magic smoke.
Yaesumofo

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a walking light i think the L4 is better for that role... however your going to get less battery life and a lot less throw.. you'll get a better 'path' light though... i personally think that anything the L4 can do the L2 can do better...

i chose the E2L just because i already have flood lights U2 and L2 and the E2L has a nice throw... currently i've been running the KL1 head on a E1e body w/ a click on tail cap... so confortable... yet bright as the 2x123 version... just w/ less run time...